Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says position bike vertical to drain. Doesn't say vertical when checking the level on the dip stick.

Just did O & F change.

4 Qts shows full when checked vertical with dip stick screwed in.
Stick measures: add 1 qt when pulled from sidestand position.

Which is it? Where did I miss the fine print?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind

I just found it. Vertical to check level on stick. Thanks.

Reactions: Pauljp

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vertical to drain? Unless something has changed significantly since '11...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Yeah, my '13 is sidestand to drain too. If you drain vertical you will leave some behind.
I wish it would fully drain vertical so I could use my lift...

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
After completing an oil/filter change I make certain of a proper oil level after a ride. I park it on the sidestand. The next morning, I carefully remove the dipstick and with a triangular file, I make a notch along the oil level line and at the same level. Now I can check the oil level anytime when the engine is cold and the bike is on the stand. Makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup . . .

Yeah, hasty post . . . side stand to drain. Somewhere in there it said to position bike vertical for a moment or three to ensure it drains from various places and angles. On the side stand to drain - vertical to check. I like RicZ's concept. Thanks all for fact checking me.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Yeah Sheets, I do that too--hold the bike vertical a bit to help drain the oil from some nooks and crannys.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Or you can slowly stand the bike up vertical and then lower back on the side stand then check your oil.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
After making sure the engine's hot, and then draining the oil and removing the filter on the sidestand, I get on the bike and slowly rock it back and forth three or four times, leaning over as much as I'm comfortable with (i.e., don't want to drop the bike). I've always found that some more oil comes out that way. Then, I just add 4.5 quarts. After putting the bike upright in a chock, running it for the specified 3 - 5 minutes, shutting it off, wiping off and screwing in and then checking the dipstick, the level is right at the full mark. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. C. 35,000 miles on my XCT.

·
13,262 Posts
Have done it from the beginning like Ricz. Mark the dip stick.
You don't have to screw the dipstick in just stick it in. The add line will now become the full mark.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Have done it from the beginning like Ricz. Mark the dip stick.
You don't have to screw the dipstick in just stick it in. The add line will now become the full mark.
Being either lazy or efficient (I can't determine which) I gotta try that out. I'm liking my method of being able to check the oil level cold, but adding the convenience of not having to screw in the dipstick appeals to my lazyness, or efficiency quotient.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
After an oil change I ride 2,000-2400 miles and add a quart. Next time its down a quart be it 4500 or if it makes it to 5,000 miles I go ahead and change it. I do check it with it upright in the wheel Dock

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
After an oil change I ride 2,000-2400 miles and add a quart. Next time its down a quart be it 4500 or if it makes it to 5,000 miles I go ahead and change it. I do check it with it upright in the wheel Dock
How many miles on your motor Joseph, how far do they go till turning into an oil-burner?
I presume it's burning as these things don't leak.
You blowing much smoke out the pipes?

Ive ridden Honda 900 bol d'ors that I'd add a litre every fuel stop, used to decant a 4 litre into 4 separate bottles 2 in each saddlebag on long trips, plus add Moreys oil stabiliser to try and stem the tide!
I've had quite a few old cars in my youth that ran on used oil strained through stocking.
Mostly grey Holden motors and one legendary Slant 6 in a Ute that i foolishly lost in a drunken pool game:-(

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
yup agree with MbX, i suggest to let a mechanic look at your bike, Vic's don't actually use oil if nothing is wrong of course, one forum member had HIGH mileage and started using small oil, kept track of it all riding season long and in winter he "fixed" the problem ... I forgot how ... maybe a 116" ha ha

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
140,000 miles, no leaks. This engine has sounded like minions inside were playing la bamba with ball peen hammers since it had 30,000 miles on the clock and blew the rear head gasket.

I'm not going to spend a dime having the engine looked at. I've know this engine was a POS for a very long time. If you recall some time ago I said the Drive belt would probably out last the engine. The original belt is still going strong.

I have another engine in the garage with just over 5,000 miles on it when I'm ready to swap out.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Also for the last 10,000 miles 6th gear has been whining more than Fran Drescher.
At what speed do you put it into 6th?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
At what speed do you put it into 6th?

Generally at 75

This engine was a bad apple from the beginning. On every vehicle I send a oil sample at 10,000 mile intervals till the reports show its broken in. After that once a year while its under warranty. By my third test on the Vic the lab was notifying me to watch for problems as my metal levels were very high and had been increasing. Shortly there after the rear head gasket blew.

So I had to make a decision if I wanted it trade it in or if I liked it enough to keep it, and keep it I did. Bummer that it is, it's not a big deal, its just an engine, far greater things to worry about in life.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I asked because some go into 6th at speeds way too low. Obviously, this is not your problem. I wish you luck with whatever solution you choose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts