Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Looks to have been designed by the same Honda team that did up the new and ugly Civic with all its weird shapes, angles and contours. Makes our Vics look all the more beautiful.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
What I don't care for about our older wing is that the wide, long motor puts your feet directly under you once seated on the bike and they are pretty much locked in place by design. This makes it impossible to shift your feet around to increase comfort while riding. My wife uses a 4" pad on the seat to keep here knees from contacting the lower fairing because she has long legs. Even with shorter legs I don't find the position comfortable for more than a couple of hours of riding between stops. Don't know if they were able to address the seating position issues on this new version. It doesn't seem to be something that can be fixed with an engine that wide and long and a seat height that is low enough to make managing a heavy touring bike practical.

I absolutely am in love with the engineering though. Toughest motorcycle I have ever owned bar none and I can still buy most wear parts from the factory even though it is 26 yrs old. Lot to be said for that.
That one looks far better than ours does. Their styling has come a long way.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Does that have a conventional front fork or something else?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I don't care for about our older wing is that the wide, long motor puts your feet directly under you once seated on the bike and they are pretty much locked in place by design. This makes it impossible to shift your feet around to increase comfort while riding. My wife uses a 4" pad on the seat to keep here knees from contacting the lower fairing because she has long legs. Even with shorter legs I don't find the position comfortable for more than a couple of hours of riding between stops. Don't know if they were able to address the seating position issues on this new version. It doesn't seem to be something that can be fixed with an engine that wide and long and a seat height that is low enough to make managing a heavy touring bike practical.

I absolutely am in love with the engineering though. Toughest motorcycle I have ever owned bar none and I can still buy most wear parts from the factory even though it is 26 yrs old. Lot to be said for that.
That one looks far better than ours does. Their styling has come a long way.
Does that have a conventional front fork or something else?
The riders pegs seem to still be in that "hole" behind the heads... If you look at the linked article, you'll see a drawing of some type of cantilevered suspension.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Gotta admit I like both and the Yamaha in this class. Any of them would be great riding bikes but for a change; I wouldn't do anything to them but ride them the way they are.

The only concern with the BMW is the cost of maintenance I keep reading about but I guess I could learn how to work on them just like most of us did with the Victory's.

I think Harley makes a damn fine looking bike and they have improved their engines and other things to the point I could be happy with them again but I dunno. I don't think I want to go backwards and I won't consider the Indian after what Polaris did. Both big companies screwed the little guy (customer) without a second thought. I just can't bring myself to reward them now with my business.

For you younger, healthy, guys who put over 10k a year on your bikes; good on you. I know you will be wanting something newer before you know it. If Victory was still in business there's a good chance that something newer would have been a Victory. Now you get to entertain the thought of one of these other brands. I'm a little envious. I'll be riding my two Vic's till I don't ride anymore. Nothing wrong with that though either.

Not that long ago I went through 7 bikes in 5 years before settling on the two I have now. This pic is from when I had 4 at one time. They were taking up all the room in my two car garage at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only concern with the BMW is the cost of maintenance I keep reading about but I guess I could learn how to work on them just like most of us did with the Victory's.
Once I purchase a bike, I want to be able to do my own maintenance.....I really don't want it back at the dealer unless there's warranty work to be done. So buying a BMW, maintenance would a huge concern....and I recently learned that the K1600 requires valve maintenance every 15k miles... I can only imaging what that entails and what BMW would charge on a 6cyl. 24 valve engine! Not to mention whatever else BWM would want the bike back to the mothership for.....

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
With hydraulic valves being the norm these days; I wonder what kind of adjustment the valves need. I seem to remember the HD V-Rod also needing some valve attention every so often like that too.

Maybe the engine is so precise the valve timing is critical so any wear on the valve chain or tensioners needs a little tweak now and then to keep the valves in time. The difficulty of the job may be more about getting to the adjustment and checking it than actually doing it. Covers and stuff have to be removed. One would think the designers would design a way to check this without having to take half the bike apart.

Here's a quick video on what is involved with the V-Rod adjustment. It involves shims so it can be a time consuming job. Not difficult; just time consuming.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Must say it's a handsome animal - and I bet it rips
sucks its speed limited to 101mph... prolly 90% of the riders wouldn't get it up there anyways, but why would bmw hamstring it at 101?
bummer...

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
It looks like the mufflers were born first, then the rest of the bike grew from there. Grandma, what huge mufflers you have!

·
Registered
103 Posts
With hydraulic valves being the norm these days; I wonder what kind of adjustment the valves need. I seem to remember the HD V-Rod also needing some valve attention every so often like that too.
More than likely they use shims either on top of a bucket or under. I doubt if they use hydraulic lifters say like Victory's single cam. BMW uses a double overhead cam. The cams depress the bucket/shim combo directly.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
More than likely they use shims either on top of a bucket or under. I doubt if they use hydraulic lifters say like Victory's single cam. BMW uses a double overhead cam. The cams depress the bucket/shim combo directly.
It sure looks like that's how the V-Rod engine is designed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts