·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's certainly an indication of what the future holds. At their introductory price I'm sure tempted even if I have to wait until Feb 2016 for delivery. Just a little skeptical shelling out the bucks for something that hasn't even been manufactured yet. How can one be sure their money is secure if something goes afoul?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Ricky likes it and shares SilvrT's concerns. But can it avoid trees and other obstacles while filming you riding a twisty tree lined road?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricky likes it and shares SilvrT's concerns. But can it avoid trees and other obstacles while filming you riding a twisty tree lined road?
There's an FAQ about that on their site. No guarantees but generally folks are more in the open when using it. Keep in mind that it's top speed is only 25 mph and max height is 100 ft so chances are slim but still possible.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
611 Posts
Cool and all but nothing more than a cutified version of every other quadcopter out there.

The follow feature is relatively easy to implement since you have to carry a beacon on you to make it work. Even the toss to launch thing isn't all that complex. Quad's have to have a gyro and an accelerometer (and they usually have a magnetometer and gps) to stay stable in the air so by monitoring the accelerometer it would be an easy program additional to look for a sudden upward acceleration and use that to start the props. There are other, arguably better options but all of those features could be handled by an arduino with a 10 axis IMU chip attached. Camera is most likely just an off the shelf go-pro, sony, etc. action cam, those specs aren't anything extraordinary.

For those who like to tinker, have electronics and programming knowledge, and have some time to spare, here's a good resource to get started building your own: http://aeroquad.com/content.php?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That is totally wicked.

I saw a similar drone advertised just recently that also had the follow shoot thing, as well as an app so you can view the camera on the phone while it's shooting, and flight controls on the app to.

Incredible gadgets.....if only they could go fast enough to keep up with a bike.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if only they could go fast enough to keep up with a bike.
This fascination with selfies and 'watch what I can do' tech just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Amazin how we are learning how to love ourselves and share a part of our lives with everyone...

We go out to eat and everyone is looking at their phones and typing crap... while I'm stuffing my face looking forward to the apocalypse.

:ltr:wac

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
This fascination with selfies and 'watch what I can do' tech just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Amazin how we are learning how to love ourselves and share a part of our lives with everyone...
Thanks for saying what I've been thinking. I can't even get myself to buy an "action camera" and put it on my bike to record rides. What's the point? If its memorable, I got the "video" in my head. My dumb phone has the camera on the wrong side for a selfie and that suits me just fine. Seeing me in a mirror is punishment enough.:D
I'm seeing an entire society turning themselves into Pavlov's dogs with those so called smart phones and its not a pretty picture.:mad:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for saying what I've been thinking. I can't even get myself to buy an "action camera" and put it on my bike to record rides. What's the point? If its memorable, I got the "video" in my head. My dumb phone has the camera on the wrong side for a selfie and that suits me just fine. Seeing me in a mirror is punishment enough.:D
I'm seeing an entire society turning themselves into Pavlov's dogs with those so called smart phones and its not a pretty picture.:mad:
Yer just showing yer age there RICZ ... now me, at 68, is right into all this "selfie" **** LOL

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Yer just showing yer age there RICZ ... now me, at 68, is right into all this "selfie" **** LOL
Yeah, I am so last century.:crzy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts