Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Las Friday in June I checked my front tire pressure and it was right on 40 psi.

To day it was 36 psi. We had three days in the 90's and two days over 100. The bike hasn't been out of the garage cause of the heat.

So if you want more life then 7 thousand miles get off your ass and check your air.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Las Friday in June I checked my front tire pressure and it was right on 40 psi.

To day it was 36 psi. We had three days in the 90's and two days over 100. The bike hasn't been out of the garage cause of the heat.

So if you want more life then 7 thousand miles get off your ass and check your air.
I assume you are just talking about your your self. Most check their air dailey.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I assume you are just talking about your your self. Most check their air dailey.:)
That's funny. I'd say most riders jump on and ride. TCLOKS (I think) is less commonly done. How many guys or gals do you see checking pressure at any week long rallies.

I think it should be done more often, but let's be realistic about the every day for everybody.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! I work on passenger tires for a living and I think the last time I checked the PSI in my Vic tires was about 2 months ago. I better get on that...I suck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just went to Branson MO with the wife and kid and I keep the car tires at 40psi but we've had average 104 temps for the last week. I checked the pressure right before leaving and most of the tires were 50 psi. I couldn't believe it but I was sure glad I checked them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The V92TC was in the shop last week for new tires and other stuff. Checked the pressure when I got it home and they had it at about the recommended pressure for under 200 lbs of load - 34 front, 36 rear. Since I'm about 235 lbs of meat on the hoof before I put my clothes and gear on, I bumped it up to the >200 lb load recommendation - 40 front, 41 rear. I like to check the PSI a few times per week, but not every time I ride.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've been in the automotive service business for 10 years and installed a lot of tires. I check the tire pressure in dozens of cars every week (I'm boss...I delegate these menial tasks these days). I've probably installed 5 digits worth of tires in my career.

I check the pressure in my own tires about twice a year lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
yep, i give people all kinda hell for it at the shop, but i can usually ride their bike around the block and take a pretty good guess at how low their tire pressure is and thats probably why i dont worry about mine much. we have sombody come in for somthing unrelated almost every day with less then 15psi in one or the other tire and they HAVE 0 IDEA!!!! they dont notice a thing wrong! and it baffles me.

one day i had a guy drive 5 miles to the shop to ask me why his r6 seem like it didnt turn quite normal, but wasen't sure if he maybe was just being paranoid...the front tire was completely flat!! 0psi! lol

anyway, back on topic...shame on all of you! non-pressure checkers...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im glad you said something , i went out and checked mine tires were very low 22 in the front and 25 in the rear, they were worn kinda funny too, guessing from low air pressure. I didnt learn my lesson, I took my Triumph out last year after i got my Vic (and had been riding it alot) and thought WOW this thing handles like crap...maybe just cause i got used to the Vics Cadillac like ride....That was some of it..... but had about 10 lbs of air in each tire, got em up to par and back to riding like a champ....

·
Registered
679 Posts
For those that don't like checking air pressure at least try one of these. They can be found for $120.00. I still do a visual inspection, of the tires, and check them with a manual air gauge. But this will warn you of any air loss while riding. Well worth the money:)

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
For those that don't like checking air pressure at least try one of these. They can be found for $120.00. I still do a visual inspection, of the tires, and check them with a manual air gauge. But this will warn you of any air loss while riding. Well worth the money:)
Where have you seen these for $120.00? Most I have seen are $179.00 and up but have seen them for around $165.00.

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Say I have to ask. How do you know it is telling you the right information?
I'm not saying there bad or good I just wounder.
I have a tire guage and a tire pump with a gauge on it and I check one with the other.

Of coarse we all know to check tires when cold and we all know that the tire pressure expands when hot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I check my tires about every 2 weeks. They rarely loose more than 1 psi in that much time. I have a habit of grabbing the tire in both hands and pressing on the center with my thumb to feel how much give it has. If you do this every time you check the pressure with a gauge you can usually tell if they may be low just by doing the thumb pressure test. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Say I have to ask. How do you know it is telling you the right information?
I'm not saying there bad or good I just wounder.
I have a tire guage and a tire pump with a gauge on it and I check one with the other.

Of coarse we all know to check tires when cold and we all know that the tire pressure expands when hot.
If you would read my earlier posts, I check the tires manually daily, put the bike up on a jack, rotate the tires fully for a visual inspection for any problems. I use two different air gauges when checking manually. One is a snap on tools analog gauge. The second is a digital gauge that speaks the air pressure to you when you check it. The third is the TPS system that monitors it as I ride. There is about a 2% difference between the three gauges. As to which one is correct I don't have a clue, but they are close enough that I don't worry about it. I have the jack right by the bike where I park it in the garage, It takes less than 5 minutes to check the bike before I leave in the morning. Not that big of a deal for the added safety and peace of mind it gives me. Now the interesting thing to me is when I check the tires cold @40 PSI, after riding at freeway speeds (especially two up) on a hot day, the air pressure will increase by 20%. I guess that is normal:rolleyes:

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you would read my earlier posts, I check the tires manually daily, put the bike up on a jack, rotate the tires fully for a visual inspection for any problems. I use two different air gauges when checking manually. One is a snap on tools analog gauge. The second is a digital gauge that speaks the air pressure to you when you check it. The third is the TPS system that monitors it as I ride. There is about a 2% difference between the three gauges. As to which one is correct I don't have a clue, but they are close enough that I don't worry about it. I have the jack right by the bike where I park it in the garage, It takes less than 5 minutes to check the bike before I leave in the morning. Not that big of a deal for the added safety and peace of mind it gives me. Now the interesting thing to me is when I check the tires cold @40 PSI, after riding at freeway speeds (especially two up) on a hot day, the air pressure will increase by 20%. I guess that is normal:rolleyes:

Good for you. Check your gauges using the shock. I pump in 30psi and the use tire gauge to check if it reads 30psi.
Yes air does expand when hot. I have ridden all day and for the hell of it check tire when I got home and yes up about 6 pounds.
Its a pain to check the tire but when they coast so much and the bike handles so much better its worth bending over.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good for you. Check your gauges using the shock. I pump in 30psi and the use tire gauge to check if it reads 30psi.
Yes air does expand when hot. I have ridden all day and for the hell of it check tire when I got home and yes up about 6 pounds.
Its a pain to check the tire but when they coast so much and the bike handles so much better its worth bending over.
Good Lord kill this thread:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I wish I could kill these threads... and all the oil threads too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts