Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I took the seat off on my '11 XR to install a new air filter. Much to my dismay, I discovered that the front of the seat has been rubbing against the tank and some of the clearcoat was even rubbed off. If I didn't do anything, it would have destroyed the paint.

Fortunately, I had some 3m clear bra laying around, so I made a template and cut out two pieces to put where the rubbing was happening. Now at least the 3m is between the seat and the paint. Also, I noticed that the rear corner of the seat is rubbing against one of the bag bar mounts, but not sure what I can do about that.

We checked my friends XCT, and the same rubbing was happening on his heated touring seat. I did the same 3m treatment on his as well to prevent more damage.

So all you XR / XC riders might want to check and see if you are having the same issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info....in the mean time, where did you get the 3M protective film ??? Thanks again thumb up

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing on the right side of the tank only. Been doing it for a year or so, hasn't been getting any worse I don't think. Good idea on the film though.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks, Bryman....going to check that out on mine too.thumb up

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info....in the mean time, where did you get the 3M protective film ??? Thanks again thumb up
I had some left over from a tankslapper kit.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I caught the same problem on my XR last month. I didn't have any 3M laying around so I had to use some window tint scraps I had.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Here is a link I found for the 3m stuff

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-Clear-Paint-Protection-48-inches/dp/B004VG88MQ[/ame]

Not very expensive, would probably be a good option for the saddlebag protector versus what the OEM protector costs:cool:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Wondering if everyone's using the 8 or 14 mil version?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Found out the hard way that the Ulitmate rubs a lot more than the stock CR seat. Got the tank AND the top of the back fender.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts