Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of mine flew off on the freeway, never to be seen again. Apparently, this is not uncommon on Victory's. $260 for a new one.:frown

·
Registered
781 Posts
I haven't actually lost a cover, but I had noticed (on 2 different occasions) that they were feeling a little squirrelly and loose. Like they didn't engage all 3 pegs.

Turns out that's exactly what happened. The peg was in the hole, but the grommet got shoved partially through the hole- so lost most of it's grip.

After a 15 minute ordeal of trying to retrieve the grommet from the bike's innards a.k.a. the event horizon-- cleaned, put back, and a tiny dab of silicon or chain lube on the peg. Cover engages all 3 points easily and securely.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
If it's a cover that gets removed a lot like the right side cover on the X-bikes to access the air shock valve then you might want to get some extra grommets. Also check to see if there are any sharp ridges from the mold on the part that goes through the grommets and sand down as needed.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Call Paulie

I lost one of mine right after I bought it in 2011. Got the best deal from Honda, EastToledoHonda, one of our sponsors , ask for Paulie. You see him comment on here quiet abit. IF he can still get the part I am sure he will give you a fair price! Good guy to deal with also.

Reactions: BadBoyZ

·
Registered
350 Posts
I added a piece of heat shrink tubing (with heat gun) to the barbs on the side cover to make the fit a bit more snug. With a dab of spit on my finger tip I give'em a little lube before I push in to place. I always push on them two or three times to ensure they are seated all the way. An ounce of prevention, as the saying goes.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
That is why I relocated the air shock fitting on my XR so that I don't have to constantly remove the side cover. I ride 2-up about half the time (more in summer, less in winter) so I am always having to adjust the rear shock pressure.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can always glue a velcro strap to the inside and attach it to the frame close by. I almost lost mine a couple times too. 1 was due to a mashed rubber grommet, I must have popped it in wrong at one time. The other had 2 grommets that were just loose inside and didn't hold the pegs well. Ordered 6 from the dealer and replaced them. Bike only had about 8K on it at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Just look up the grommets from a 1800 Goldwing, and make sure its the rounds ones you choose, the outside diameter is the same as the stock VIC ones but the hole where the barb goes in is smaller and better rubber then the VIC stuff. I think if you wanted all six of them it was like 15 bucks or so, been a while since I did a kit for anyone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good tip on the Goldwing grommets. I also treat them with a little vinyl / rubber treatment so theu dont dri out which makes it hard to oush the cover on.

·
13,262 Posts
don't be afraid to move wires around and maybe zip tie them out of the way to help cover fit tighter

Reactions: depot picker

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I use the heat-shrink trick on my posts, its worked ever since had the rt. cover come off a few years ago. I do re-place the heat-shrink every year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts