Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Kingpin owner's manual says the drive belt tension is to be checked with the rear wheel off the ground. I don't have a real motorcycle lift so this is problematic for me and seems silly. How are you supposed to check tension on a road trip?

Is there a way to check belt deflection on a Kingpin with the tire on the ground? Every chain driven bike I've ridden the slack is checked with the bike on the ground with rider weight in the saddle.

On my 2007 Kingpin I have little tick marks on the lower chain guard.
With the bike sitting on the sidestand with no luggage or rider, approximately what is the right deflection on a cool bike?

If I sit my cool bike on the sidestand, and check the deflection by pushing the belt up at the center point between the drive gears I get about 1/2" from static belt to maximum upwards deflection at maybe 40 lbs of pressure. This is on a cool bike. It seems tight to me but my bike has had the belt this tight since I bought it 5,000 miles ago.

I really want this to be right ASAP because I leave for a 1,000 mile trip in the morning! :D

Thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thoughts?

I go by the manual.
Raising the rear tire off the ground to check belt tension is a bit absurd for people who actually want to ride instead of putting the bike in the garage for half a day just to check something that takes 10 seconds on other bikes.

Owner's manuals are designed to keep the company out of lawsuits. There are always easier ways to do things. :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 12xct and tried to get rid of the belt chirp and squeek, a lot of us have experienced, several times by adjusting the belt like the manual says, with no luck. Finally, I adjusted it on the ground AND hot to what I figured was a good tension under those conditions. And now have hardly any belt noise at all. Worked good for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Is it too much to ask to buy a Jack and do it the correct way? How do you check a chain when your sitting on the bike? Check your belt deflection before you go on any trips and you will be fine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, if I was looking for an easier way, I would still start with the manual instructions. That way I would know it was in spec. Then I would put the rear tire on the ground and check deflection from there. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, that's just the only way I know that would be close. I'm not real sure I would just take someone's word for the deflection using a home grown short cut. Too lose and you wear out the belt and pulleys. Too tight and you eat your bearings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if I was looking for an easier way, I would still start with the manual instructions. That way I would know it was in spec. Then I would put the rear tire on the ground and check deflection from there. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, that's just the only way I know that would be close. I'm not real sure I would just take someone's word for the deflection using a home grown short cut. Too lose and you wear out the belt and pulleys. Too tight and you eat your bearings.
I jacked it up and measured about 5/8" upward deflection at ~10 lbs of pressure. Then I measured it with the bike on the ground it is still 5/8". put 1,000 miles on it this weekend and the belt felt perfect! No noise, no chirping, just smooth sailing! cheers

So apparently the Kingpin belt has about the same tension whether the wheel is raised or on the ground. This is the same for most bikes since the swing arm pivots close to the front drive gear so changing the swing arm angle does little to change belt tension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago I bought an adjustable over-center jack at a Harley dealer (only because that's the only place I could find 1). Used it many times to get 1 tire or the other off my Intruder, but recently on another forum I saw someone had made the same thing from a scrap piece of 2x8, a length of pipe and a couple of bolts. Probably cost the guy $5 at Home Depot.

Lots of service reasons to have a jack or lift of some sort around no matter the brand of bike.

Ride Safe!

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
The real issue here is not whether the wheel is jacked off the ground, but is the suspension fully extended when you check the belt tension. Unless you ride with exceptionally soft suspension settings, your bike will have little or no suspension "sag" when on the side stand with no load. Often you can just pull up on the rear of the bike and the suspension will go to full extension - and it will probably stay there.

If your measurement is not satisfactory, then you will have to jack it up to make adjustments. But just checking doesn't have to be a big deal.

·
13,033 Posts
If the belt was good before going on the trip it will be good the hole trip. Unless the axle loosens up.
A belt will stretch 1/8" from new and should never stretch after that

·
Registered
191 Posts
I jacked it up and measured about 5/8" upward deflection at ~10 lbs of pressure. Then I measured it with the bike on the ground it is still 5/8". put 1,000 miles on it this weekend and the belt felt perfect! No noise, no chirping, just smooth sailing! cheers

So apparently the Kingpin belt has about the same tension whether the wheel is raised or on the ground. This is the same for most bikes since the swing arm pivots close to the front drive gear so changing the swing arm angle does little to change belt tension.
Was this with bike on side stand?

·
13,033 Posts
deepstuff

this post is 2 years old think its solved by now

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 12xct and tried to get rid of the belt chirp and squeek, a lot of us have experienced, several times by adjusting the belt like the manual says, with no luck. Finally, I adjusted it on the ground AND hot to what I figured was a good tension under those conditions. And now have hardly any belt noise at all. Worked good for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Most belt drive units (all brands) will sqeak especially when wet. The best fix is to rub paraffin wax on the sides of the belt. I did mine last fall and it's still very quiet. Also adjust the belt with the bike on the sidestand and with at least one inch of free play. Most belts are adjusted tight which is not correct. These are kevlar chains not V belts so adjust as you would a standard chain.

On some bikes like the new CanAm spyder F3 the tight belt will cause extreme vibrations at highway speed as the belt will vibrate with the engine harmonics. Loosening the belt will fix this issue also.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
<snip>Also adjust the belt with the bike on the sidestand and with at least one inch of free play. <snip more>
This is in direct contradiction to the instructions in the service manual and also ignores the instructions in the service manual to find the wheel rotation postion that yields the greatest (or it might be least) belt tension and adjust the belt tension with the wheel in that position. Your bike = your rules but recommending to others that they deviate from the service manual is a bit much.

And yes, I do realize that most of this thread is 2-3 years old.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I use my index finger to push up on the belt it moves about an inch cold, once its all hot from riding it still has a little movement but not much, just enough, just right.
Some would say a little loose but I like it that way. My belt loose my women tight :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I deal with a lot of chain/belt motorcycles and the general rule is tight as hell. I have seen deformed rear hub assemblies, crushed engine output bearings, broken output shafts, destroyed motor mounts and vibrations related to overtightened belts.
I also know through experience these belts do not slip or climb just like a chain will not unless it's stretched.
And in my designs which take any motorcycle off paved roads a tight belt can be a real problem on gravel.

I am not trying to lead anyone astray here I am just injecting some real life experience and advice. And this thread is now new I guess :)

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
This is in direct contradiction to the instructions in the service manual and also ignores the instructions in the service manual to find the wheel rotation postion that yields the greatest (or it might be least) belt tension and adjust the belt tension with the wheel in that position. Your bike = your rules but recommending to others that they deviate from the service manual is a bit much.

And yes, I do realize that most of this thread is 2-3 years old.

G'day,

Vinish
Yes sirrrrr agreed ....

OP just download the manual and follow that for most part and you'll be fine ??

Sent from my A51w using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
My thinking on this...
If the suspension is topped out on the sidestand, then lifting it changes nothing. I always do mine on the sidestand. I use a tape measure and 2 fingers for tension, and a string for alignment (nothing is straighter than a string pulled tight).

Easy-squeezy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts