Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In many forum threads regarding tires there is always the suggestion from a few people to check tires every week and keep the pressure up where it should be. In my own experience I check tires about once a month (if I remember) and maybe once a year have to add a pound or two. This bike, last bike, multiple sets of tires, that's it. So infrequent it's rare that I even think about them. I will mention that all my tires, forever, have been bias ply.

For those of you who find you have check and adjust more regularly, what do you think is causing that? I can only think of sidewall leakage but I would imagine you'd have to be driving with the aggression of a GP racer to disrupt sidewall seal. Are radial tires that much worse in construction that they can't seal to the wheel? If that were the case I'm sure we would hear of more accidents due to separation and instant deflation. Hard cornering certainly must put enough forces on the bead to do that.

Routine maintenance is a good practice to follow but I'm wondering how many of you actually have to add to the tires on a regular basis and why you think that is. Alternatively, are we just promoting an old habit from tires of a lesser technology?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seems I recall that new tires seem to lose a little air more frequently that tires that have been mounted and run for some time but can't say for sure. And fwiw I run only radials.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Temperature affects tire pressure more than you think. If I have the tires aired up in winter and don't ride for a while, when a 70 degree day comes along I have to let some air out. Same thing in the fall when you have the pressure right on an 85 degree day and don't ride for a while, then get the bike out on a 48 degree day... tires are low by several psi.

Cast aluminum wheels will sometimes be porous enough to lose some pressure over time.

It only takes a few seconds to check/adjust the tire pressure. Why not do it?

Once a week when I'm riding a lot the bike goes on a jack. Inspect the tires & check the pressure, put an eyeball on the brake pads, check the belt, clean the wheels/brake rotors/calipers/rear pulley. Put it on the ground and check the oil, give it a wipe down with instant detailer, and check operation of all the lights/horn. Doesn't take long.

Once a month put a pair of vice grips on the clutch actuator arm and pop the cable out, then pop the lever off on the bars... clean and re-grease both ends. Then clean out the shift linkage pivots and spray some good foaming chain lube in those pivots... and don't forget the kickstand pivot. Every now and then open up the throttle housing on the bars and lube inside there.

Take care of the bike and it will take care of you.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
My Vegas has spoked wheels so inner tubes thus it will drop tire pressure over time.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i rode mine daily so no i didnt check every time i rode, probably every couple weeks. temps will change psi, every 10 degrees of temp difference will add/subtract 1 psi. if your garage is 50degrees, you set psi to 40, roll it outside and its 80, psi will go up approx 3 psi.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use a Doran TPMS on my XC. I'm able to check pressure at any moment before I start it or while I'm riding. And often will do so multiple times a day.

I too have gone weeks or months without having to adjust pressure. But I always know what my pressure is before I ride. If you don't KNOW, and you're not checking, you might be asking for eventual (and avoidable) trouble. Don't you think?

Haven't we all had that split second in a corner where we wonder if that was the tire slipping on debris or if that squishy feeling was because a tire is low? I've found that having a TPMS is invaluable, really. I can't imagine riding ever again without that instant knowledge about something so crucial.

But...you know...I also ride on a car tire. Haha...so I wouldn't probably listen to me either.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
air molecules are smaller than rubber molecules so some gets out slowly
believe it or not:nerd

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm glad I read this... I completely forgot to check my pressures recently. Front and rear tires are under 20 psi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As someone who's had a rear tire fail on an 800+ lb bike at about 60 miles an hour, it wouldn't be inaccurate to describe me as a bit of a tire pressure nazi. I check my tire pressure nearly every day that I ride. Most times if it's lost air at all, it's only a PSI or 2. Doesn't sound like much, but being a few PSI off of the recommended can drastically affect tire wear, not to mention handling and fuel economy. It's a factor which is COMPLETELY within your control, so why wouldn't you check and maintain it?

Getting to the rear tire stem on the Magnum is a genuine pain in the arse, as well as the back and a few other places. I've recently done a lot of reading on the FOBO pressure monitoring system, and may be giving it a try pretty soon. Getting pressure information in real time, or getting alerted to a rapid leak would certainly put my ragged mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My apologies as I seem to have not made it clear what I was asking because again, most of what I see in response is rhetoric. Only two respondents indicated they were losing pressure.

Routine maintenance and checking is important as I indicated in my query and I as well as most here go through visual inspections religiously. Some of us even go a lot further during the long off-season we have here.

The question I was trying to get across was with all the checking we do on the tires how many are actually seeing variances in tire pressure on a weekly basis? Sorry, I assumed under the same conditions but didn't specifically spell it out regarding temperature at the time. That's just physics and not what I was trying to figure out.

I used to check tires weekly but over the years it has dwindled in frequency because I almost never see a change. I topped it off for the first ride of the year after adding balance beads and even now in August have only added less than 2 pounds after 5 months.

While reading some to the threads I see recommending the process of checking tires comes up so often I was just after some level of quantifying whether or not there was evidence of normal pressure loss. It's a no-brainer to check for safety reasons but I was curious to see how many actually see a leak. If you are routinely having to add air then I have to surmise my tire guys must be magicians.

Thanks again gents.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
A good TPMS will provide peace of mind for lots of people. I have one but I kinda wish I had gotten the one that had the readout on the wall rather than a keyfob or something because the bike has to be rolling for it to kick in. With the wall readout I could just glance at it and go or stop and take a minute to air a tire or two up.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
On my 2014 XCT stock tires I put in 38 in the front and 40 in the back and within about a week they are reading 35 & 37.
Each lost about 3 psi and it will not go any lower, I can go the rest of the summer and it will stay at those pressures.
I don't know why.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It varies by bike for me (and car for that matter). I have a couple bikes, including the victory that seem to hold air just fine for months at a time. Over the course of the winter my xr lost enough air that it was definitely noticeable (can't recall exactly how much right now) and the shock had bled down to 0. But normally it stays inflated week to week. My mille, on the other hand, needs air weekly in the rear tire and in no insignificant quantity. That said, I believe I have a bad valve in that tire since the front does not have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
mine can lose a pound or two over a couple of weeks, I check em every couple of weeks and routinely add 3 lb more anyway so theyre never really dropping into underinflated range.
My oil on the other hand, I never check.

·
13,242 Posts
how can a Magnum be hard to check air. Pull the bag roll the bike find the stem. Try a vision some time.

For those that have air pressure monitors get a extra one for the shock.

you can always put in a 90 degree valve stem next tire change

1 - 20 of 26 Posts