Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and VA. Living in the capital region and wishing for warmer weather to get some more riding in. Besides GWMP and Skyline, anyone know of any must ride routes within an hour of the beltway?

Loving this forum and the collective know-how it brings!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been riding for about 15 years off and on, first time on a Victory that I purchased about a month ago. Absolutely love the bike, having a lot of fun making it mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Previous bikes were:

1978 Honda CB400
1980 Honda Nighthawk

Currently own:

2006 Suzuki SV650 (naked)
2013 Honda CRF250L

As you can see, this is really my first venture into the cruiser arena. Love how smooth and easy to ride the Victory is, just eats up the miles without me even knowing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mods to bike so far... X-Bow exhaust and S&S intake on the way. Picked up the exhaust from another forum member, dealer wanted to charge $500 in labor to install! Forget that, did it myself, and other than a few curse words and a minor scratch that caused a few more choice words, saved a lot of cheddar! Waiting to get the intake on and then will take to dealer for stage 1 flash. Also considering the speedo feature upgrade but not set on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Planning on doing the tail of the dragon when the weather warms up a bit more. May meet a friend from AL to ride together.

From any of the SE crowd, what's the soonest I should consider heading out that way?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the Victory Forums and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
New to the forum and VA. Living in the capital region and wishing for warmer weather to get some more riding in. Besides GWMP and Skyline, anyone know of any must ride routes within an hour of the beltway?

Loving this forum and the collective know-how it brings!
Welcome to the forums! Im attaching a link to a VERY good Vic dealer in MD, if you take 5 to 301 towards Waldorf you will run into them. Anything east of 301 has GREAT back roads, country miles and is absolutely awsome riding. If I were you, I would plan a trip to Vic of S. Maryland on a Sat and meet those folks. GREAT group who have been around a LONG time and they can point you into some great routes. Also, another Vic club rides out of there and I am sure they can hook you up with them also if you like. If you get froggy, take 235 down to the peninsula at Point Look Out state park.

http://thekustomshoppe.com/

Also, if you head west on route 50 jumping off on 17Sout towards RT 688 back into 66, it is GREAT riding but obey the speed limits. Radars galore!

Safe ridin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forums! Im attaching a link to a VERY good Vic dealer in MD, if you take 5 to 301 towards Waldorf you will run into them. Anything east of 301 has GREAT back roads, country miles and is absolutely awsome riding. If I were you, I would plan a trip to Vic of S. Maryland on a Sat and meet those folks. GREAT group who have been around a LONG time and they can point you into some great routes. Also, another Vic club rides out of there and I am sure they can hook you up with them also if you like. If you get froggy, take 235 down to the peninsula at Point Look Out state park.

http://thekustomshoppe.com/

Also, if you head west on route 50 jumping off on 17Sout towards RT 688 back into 66, it is GREAT riding but obey the speed limits. Radars galore!

Safe ridin
Awesome tips! I'll definitely need to check out some of MD. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Also, I did NOT mean to say Woodbridge Power Sports was NOT a good dealer right off 95 and the beltway. They are a good group of folks up there however, Vic of S. MD was REALLY hospitable and a good destination for you to get some miles into MD and have a good place to stop at. Good eats around there too, I was working out of Lexington Park for a few weeks and got ALOT of riding in that area. Take your camera too, some great photos ops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear... I may be over on the MD side next weekend and could swing by to check it out. Woodbridge is a lot easier to get to from mi casa, may pop down there just for routine maintenance. If it's sunny tomorrow, gonna try your western route, sounds easy and starts pretty much at my doorstep. Thx again!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No problem bud, I get up to DC to visit my son every couple months, will give you a shout next round and maybe we catch a few miles. If you get down towards Hampton Roads give me a Holler and we will grab some BBQ down in NC. Was just up in Winchester through that route mid Dec, very nice roads but the boys in blue were aware of us...

Safe ridin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did the 50-17-66 route and man, it was still pretty dang cold! Best part for me was going south on 17, but you hit the nail on the head when talking of the boys in blue. Several in the area as well as radar signs (that tell you your speed). Gonna have to hit that again when everything greens up.

Got the S&S intake on and it ran great, but definitely have the occasional backfire every now and then (haven't had the stage 1 flash done yet). It isn't extreme, but it is annoying... in other people's experience, does the flash help eliminate popping on deceleration or is the VFCIII or PC-V necessary?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just did the 50-17-66 route and man, it was still pretty dang cold! Best part for me was going south on 17, but you hit the nail on the head when talking of the boys in blue. Several in the area as well as radar signs (that tell you your speed). Gonna have to hit that again when everything greens up.

Got the S&S intake on and it ran great, but definitely have the occasional backfire every now and then (haven't had the stage 1 flash done yet). It isn't extreme, but it is annoying... in other people's experience, does the flash help eliminate popping on deceleration or is the VFCIII or PC-V necessary?
did you disconnect the O2 sensors?? Should help if not.. Will send fuel control into a loop at the lean end when your at or near idle/dropping off the throttle and richen up your idle so should see it all but disappear unless you did something to the exhaust as well. Thats a whole differnt bag of tricks there. Some just need to learn the throttle with it on there, I know I get VERY little BF unless I just drop the throttle closed on shift. Smooth helps. Glad you liked the route, it was awsome when we went through with rich blue skys and still alot of green on the ground..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you disconnect the O2 sensors?? Should help if not.. Will send fuel control into a loop at the lean end when your at or near idle/dropping off the throttle and richen up your idle so should see it all but disappear unless you did something to the exhaust as well. Thats a whole differnt bag of tricks there. Some just need to learn the throttle with it on there, I know I get VERY little BF unless I just drop the throttle closed on shift. Smooth helps. Glad you liked the route, it was awsome when we went through with rich blue skys and still alot of green on the ground..
Yeah it's really just on abrupt roll-off that it pops. Put exhaust and intake on, haven't disconnected O2 sensors yet, will try the stage 1 flash when I take it in for its first service in the next month or so. If its still popping after that, I'll either adjust my throttle technique a little more or do the VFC III thing. Not planning any additional engine mods, just need to get my mini standard windscreen up and should be set... Waiting for brackets to get here the next couple days then riding in MD next weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts