Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about 90% certain im going with the home made cherry bomb insert mufflers this winter. do you guys that run this set-up have a filter? flash?, iac valve? and is the popping or back firing a problem?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I made a set with the thrush mufflers. With the stage 1 download the popping is not to bad. I think my next move will be a lloydz air filter and fuel controller. That may just about stop it al together. The thrush mufflers has a 2 1/4 in and out. On the out side I took the exhaust pipe to a 2 inch and "slash cut" them so my stock tips fit over them nice.

·
13,262 Posts
If you want to stop the popping buy Lloydz IAV

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maybe in the spring I will take it to their shop and have lloydz fix it up. I see they will be offering a super charger maybe soon. Kind of interesting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
djwasy does this setup produce the same sound as the Atom Bombs as they are thrush also. Right now I have mine drilled out 1 1/8 but my bud has the bombs and that is the sound I am looking for. Thanks Stevecheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's hard for me to compare the sound of the thrush to the atom bombs,as the only place i heard the atoms bombs was on you tube. The thrush sound is more than the stage 1 definatly,but not over bearing. They do have a nice rumble to them. I thought they would be a lot louder being it is straight thru muffler with no baffles,but I like them. I found them new on Amazon on sale. Got both for $45.00.

·
Registered
273 Posts
djwasy does this setup produce the same sound as the Atom Bombs as they are thrush also. Right now I have mine drilled out 1 1/8 but my bud has the bombs and that is the sound I am looking for. Thanks Stevecheers
What part of Pa. are you from? I am about a hour north east of Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard for me to compare the sound of the thrush to the atom bombs,as the only place i heard the atoms bombs was on you tube. The thrush sound is more than the stage 1 definatly,but not over bearing. They do have a nice rumble to them. I thought they would be a lot louder being it is straight thru muffler with no baffles,but I like them. I found them new on Amazon on sale. Got both for $45.00.
are you running just the mufflers or a high flow filter too ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stage 1 download-victory high flow filter-pulled the strip around the filter. Hey- have you been watching the cobra fi2000 thread? I don't even have to watch days of our lives anymore. It's a regular soap opera over there.:crzy:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stage 1 download-victory high flow filter-pulled the strip around the filter. Hey- have you been watching the cobra fi2000 thread? I don't even have to watch days of our lives anymore. It's a regular soap opera over there.:crzy:
yeah i tune in every day about 6 times just to read that thread!wac

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in the Northeast part of the state, Wilkes Barre, Scranton area. My bud has the bombs and the stage one 1 download and vic filter. I think I am going with the thrush ,filter and controller this winter as I have all the tooling in my shop to do so. Hell you should see me and the grandson put the bikes up on my 2 post auto lift, its the best way to clean the wheels.LOLcheers With the stock pipes drilled it reminds of the kids putting the little fart can mufflers on their civics.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Anyone have pics of this done? How are you going about this, are you using the stock heat shields and stuff? How do the saddlebags fit on them? I am interested, I have the mufflers drilled on mine, the tips of the mufflers are cut, and I have a bolt through whats left, and its not bad, but I want more rumble. I have thrush mufflers on my suburban and love the sound!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anyone have pics of this done? How are you going about this, are you using the stock heat shields and stuff? How do the saddlebags fit on them? I am interested, I have the mufflers drilled on mine, the tips of the mufflers are cut, and I have a bolt through whats left, and its not bad, but I want more rumble. I have thrush mufflers on my suburban and love the sound!
There is a thread with a link somewhere in this forum with directions and pics.That is what I used for directions. Used the stock covers and tips. On the exhaust side I downsized the pipe to a 2" and put my shields and tips on-marked the exhaust pipe-pulled the tip covers back off and "slash cut " the ends. Looks stock but definatly fills the tips in with the pipe coming out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is a thread with a link somewhere in this forum with directions and pics.That is what I used for directions. Used the stock covers and tips. On the exhaust side I downsized the pipe to a 2" and put my shields and tips on-marked the exhaust pipe-pulled the tip covers back off and "slash cut " the ends. Looks stock but definatly fills the tips in with the pipe coming out.
The Thrush mufflers used are #24069. 2.25" in and out-3.5" shell and 18" long.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Look up Cross Roads Exhaust Mod thread. See #2 PhilC64. Click on the glass pack mod. If you do this just make sure you beat the insides out from the "in" side of your mufflers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Or you can just click the link in my signature.....
Here's a vid of my thrush pipes freshly installed.

My pipes have been in about 18 months and are now a little louder than the video.

My bike was Stage 1 so I already had the d-load. I now am running the Lloydz VFCIII, VM1-DR cams, and Lloydz filter. To negate the popping, I'm installing a Lloyz IAV soon as well as the cam timing do-hickey.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Thanks! I tried searching and couldn't find it anyway, now I see it, have some questions for you.
-How is it while cruising?
-I plan to have a passenger as much as possibly and I want her to be able to hear the radio, and not just exhaust.
-The piece of 2.25 exhaust pipe, you say it needs to be cut in half lengthwise? Do you mean it needs to be 2-6" long pieces when done?
-If so, can a longer muffler be used instead? A longer muffler would be slightly quieter I would think.
-Can the stock muffler tips be used?
I am extremely interested in doing this, this may be the sound I am looking for!!! thanks for any more info!!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
http://www.thrushexhaust.com/pdf/thrush.pdf
on this site I found 4 mufflers that may work if they can be a longer size, waiting to hear if they can be or not. I looked each of them up on the Oreillys auto parts site,
#24069 2.25 in/out, 3.5" body, 18" long 23" total $39.99
#24201 2.25 in/out, 3.5" body, 20" long 25" total $24.99
#24203 2.25 in/out, 3.5" body, 22" long 27" total $24.99
#24205 2.25 in/out, 3.5" body, 26" long 31" total $24.99

Just not sure if the 18" one fills the entire body of the stock muffler, of if the 6" piece was used to stick out of the end cap.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have AZ slammers on my xct, and they beat me senseless when I take a road trip. I bought a sheet of 12"x 24" 18ga expanded steel and a bag of 2" x 16" x 48"
Johns-manville fiberglass. I cut two pieces of steel at 8" x12" and using my hands, formed them over a wooden dowel clamped in a vise. I then cut the glass and wrapped the tube with it and used fine baling wire to spiral wrap the glass, and slid the whole works into the end of the pipes. It really took the edge off. So far so good! :)
that insulation type glass will blow out in no time, try using glass just for mufflers or some of the auto or boat repair glass from an auto parts store when it does.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks! I tried searching and couldn't find it anyway, now I see it, have some questions for you.
-How is it while cruising?
-I plan to have a passenger as much as possibly and I want her to be able to hear the radio, and not just exhaust.
-The piece of 2.25 exhaust pipe, you say it needs to be cut in half lengthwise? Do you mean it needs to be 2-6" long pieces when done?
-If so, can a longer muffler be used instead? A longer muffler would be slightly quieter I would think.
-Can the stock muffler tips be used?
I am extremely interested in doing this, this may be the sound I am looking for!!! thanks for any more info!!
At cruising it is fine. No problems hearing the radio.
2- 6" peices.
I downsized mine to 2" coming out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts