Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't like the Tom-Tom Rider GPS I had because it changed the routes I loaded into it. I don't need any other functions other than the ability to load routes I put together and for the unit to guild me on them exactly on how I made the route. There is no way I'm paying $500-800 for a brand name motorcycle GPS, so I'm looking at the Chinese units available for around $100.
Anybody use these and have any insight into what I can except if I buy one?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm not sure that you can find any GPS that is not made in China - even the higher cost models which you don't want. Tom-Tom is a Dutch company and in the Tom-Tom forums, it says that the Tom-Tom units are made in China. I have a Garmin Zumo made for the Victory and it also is made in China (the Taiwan part). Maybe they all are made in China.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure that you can find any GPS that is not made in China - even the higher cost models which you don't want. Tom-Tom is a Dutch company and in the Tom-Tom forums, it says that the Tom-Tom units are made in China. I have a Garmin Zumo made for the Victory and it also is made in China (the Taiwan part). Maybe they all are made in China.

G'day,

Vinish
This I'm aware of...which is all the more reason I don't want to pay a crazy price for the Garmin name. I just want make sure the cheaper Chinese GPS's aren't totally flimsy and will stop working after the first big bump.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You get what you pay for... However, if you don't want the bells and whistles of the higher priced and better quality GPS's, then I agree with RICZ that this GPS does look like it's worth a $125 flyer, but you may or may not be happy. I would be interested to know if you do decide to purchase this GPS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My biggest worry is the fact that that OS is listed as "Win CE 6.0" and Microsoft stopped doing mainstream support on that in 2013.

Also, there's no mention of who's maps or how you update them.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Arkie, "you get what you pay for" does not hold true for many things and I can give you one; kitchen/meat knives. I was raised by and am a knife monger and I'm here to tell you that there is no higher quality than Victorinox knives, and yet they sell at a very moderate price.
Incidentally, I sell that line and if anyone needs good knives for their homes, or as gifts (its wedding time) I sell at a good discount and no sales tax. So here's another way to help out a poor pensioner to buy more bling and accessories for his bike. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Also, there's no mention of who's maps or how you update them.
Look again. There are boxes where you select maps like North America. Imagine that! :eek

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Look again. There are boxes where you select maps like North America. Imagine that! :eek
I think what he's referring to is how you update the maps to reflect changes in road design, exit locations, closures, etc.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I think what he's referring to is how you update the maps to reflect changes in road design, exit locations, closures, etc.
One can communicate with the folks at Banggood and get questions answered. Just don't expect a reply in the next few minutes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For me the big issue with the car non waterproof units is the brightness, Can these Chinese units get as bright as the TomTom or Garmin motorcycle units?
I have a nice 5" Garmin car unit on the bike but cant really see the display at all when its sunny out even with a visor on it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me the big issue with the car non waterproof units is the brightness, Can these Chinese units get as bright as the TomTom or Garmin motorcycle units?
I have a nice 5" Garmin car unit on the bike but cant really see the display at all when its sunny out even with a visor on it.
The Chinese motorcycle GPS units claim they can be viewed in direct sunlight and they all seem to come in a mount that has a hood to keep drops off the screen and cut glare.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I have a Chinese GPS, the problem is I can't give a comparison coz I never had a GPS before

It is working fine for the last few months and ride in the rain, also when washing the bike I forget to take it off most times, still works....

Question, how can they get a GPS signal for free, I don't pay for it?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Chinese GPS, the problem is I can't give a comparison coz I never had a GPS before

It is working fine for the last few months and ride in the rain, also when washing the bike I forget to take it off most times, still works....

Question, how can they get a GPS signal for free, I don't pay for it?
Andre' how awesome! ...Now this is what I've been waiting to hear and that's even the GPS I'm considering(FodSports) thumb up

Questions...Do you make routes on your PC or device and load them on to the GPS? Any issues doing this, especially with the routing?

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Andre' how awesome! ...Now this is what I've been waiting to hear and that's even the GPS I'm considering(FodSports) thumb up

Questions...Do you make routes on your PC or device and load them on to the GPS? Any issues doing this, especially with the routing?
I am not very familiar with this kind of stuff and do not know all the features in it.... If I get lost and need to be in a town or ferry somewhere then I just click on the town and follow the road...

I did manage to save a days ride / track so at least that is working

Maybe I should read the manual, surly all kind of special features are there to play with, I just never needed them

Smile

Sorry about not being able to help you more .... But it seems more expensive stuff isn't always better...

So also my question is still: how is it possible that if you buy a GPS that you don't need to pay for a subscription... The signal is for free?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I bought one tonight, I'll keep you all posted.
This one, [/url]
Heyyyyy that's the one I have, congrats mate,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts