Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend I slammed my mirror into my gas tank while taking the mirror out for an adjustment. So I gave myself a roughly half-dime-sized chip in the paint. Just cosmetic, but too visible to leave it alone.

I have a victory factory paint job, but it was an upgraded one with blended blue and purplish base. So it's not a simple one color match. I called a local guy about it who suggested that they will need to sand it down and remove the tank to paint it. He also mentioned he had problems matching Victory paint.

Anyone know of a decent painter anywhere near Boston for something like this?

Added pics of the chip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Year and model of bike would help. A picture would be even better to see for sure what color it is. If it is a stock victory paint job I will be able to get you the paint codes for the paint. If you where closer i would see what i could do for you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Airbrush something cool.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Paint is PPG. If it is factory paint, the dealer has the numbers from Polaris.......if you get the paint, 3 quarts at 99 bucks A quart... Your off to the races.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Paint is PPG. If it is factory paint, the dealer has the numbers from Polaris.......if you get the paint, 3 quarts at 99 bucks A quart... Your off to the races.......
Factory paint is not PPG. I have matched it using PPG products before but certain colors like sunset red and Antifreeze green are a tri stage paint job compared to the factory paint is a normal BC/CC.
3 quarts to repaint a tank??? I have never used that much paint painting a whole bike.

The chip will need to be sanded down so there are no hard edges. I would then use a high build primer to spray that area and flat block it back flat with the tank and depending on the paint job it might be just as easy to repaint the whole thing then try to blend it. Shoot some HOK UC35 to top it off.
If the chip is bad enough you will always have to sand it and fill it or you will see the height difference if you just try to respray it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So, it's almost July in New England. I have a dime size chip in my tank paint and it pisses me off everytime I look at it.

I get a quarter sized medallion of my liking or hell, a quarter for that matter or a decal or a bra, and I bury that chip under it. Ride all summer and by November I will have solved the logistical matters of paint repair and not lost a minute of my precious riding season doing paint work that can wait.

Incidentally Boston is a big town with more than a few bike painters with mad skills. The good ones are pricey. Point is you do have ample local resources and if you ask around some shops you will get hooked up. The kicker is you will end up waiting on the painter. It's in their DNA to make you wait. Better to wait in the middle of winter than the middle of summer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Year and model of bike would help. A picture would be even better to see for sure what color it is. If it is a stock victory paint job I will be able to get you the paint codes for the paint. If you where closer i would see what i could do for you.
This is for a 2011 Kingpin. It's not the factory paint. I paid for the $2000 upgraded flames out of the Victory catalog. This is a bit of a tricky situation, since the paint job I got wasn't exactly what was in the 2011 catalog. It was close enough that I didn't worry about it when I picked up the bike. The style looked the same, but the colors were different (blue and purple instead of the blue and black I expected). It's got the exact same Victory label on it and has manufacturer code numbers on all the parts. It's one of 1000 paint jobs for that year. I already checked with the dealer to get more paint info, but they told shop that was doing that work is out of business so they don't know if they can get exact paint information.

I'll upload a picture when I get a second.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would be flippin out, but that's just me... I cant stand dirt on my bike let alone a big chip. I put a new exhaust on my bike with 400 mi on it , and the next day demolished one of the pipes in a turn... Im still sick over it and it was 3 months ago...:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts