Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told by shop A that the belt needs cleaning and by shop B that the belt tension needs adjusting. With 6000 miles on my bike, I am leaning towards the tension needing adjusting (missed at 5000 mile check by shop A?). Will have shop B adjust tension tomorrow and will provide feedback. The chirping is really annoying for such a fine machine, '08 Kingpin Tour.

·
13,236 Posts
First off new belts stretch about a 1/8" in the begging and by a thousand mile the stretching is done.
Chirping comes from the fact that Polaris has lets the belt manufacture have to big of a tolerance. I measured my belt and it Vere's by as much as 25 thousand. Polaris pulley only give about a 1/16" side to side play.
So yes at one point or four points the belt is fine but never all the way around.
Never use any kind of spay stuff to stop the chirp cause what ever you use gathers dust and and dirt and in time will ruin your belt. Dust and dirt have cutting edges to it.
Go to your grocery store and look in the isle for canning goods for food your Mom might all ready have some or buy paraffin wax. Rub it on the out side edge of your belt and chirping will be gone.
Polaris should narrow there belts by a 1/16th and all would be a quite ride. :D :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed!

Im having the same issue with my 08 8 ball, 9000 miles. waiting to see what the pros say....
It was belt tension for my Kingpin! Chirping is gone! Shop B (Erv's Sales and Service, Tomahawk, WI) took extra measures to make sure tire was even side to side and ran bike and watched how belt tracked. They had to remove my saddlebag and I believe the belt guard while adjusting/checking. One could loosen the large nut on left side of rear wheel and evenly adjust small tensioning nuts for the do-it-yourselfer. I am happy with the end result. I took bike out for a test ride before they reassembled everything. Cost $60.

Thanks for advice on belt dressings/lube. Glad I waited on that possible solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chirping Cross Country Tour

I had my 5000 mile service completed before going to the Sturgis motorcycle rally. About 300 miles into the trip the belt started making lots of noise when cold. After a while, it was making noise all the time. I cleaned the belt, adjusted the alignment and tension, and used the dry lubricant. Nothing worked for very long. The noise kept coming back and seemed to be getting worse. By the time I arrived in Sturgis it was really loud and I went the Victory display in downtown to talk to someone. Apparently they knew about this issue with their big bikes having this problem, but nothing else. I had to go 30 miles to Rapid City to the Victory dealer and have it looked at. No mechanics or technicians in Sturgis, really? The Rapid City dealer adjusted the belt and the noise was not any better. The warrantee person at Rapid City talked to Victory and they agreed to replace the belt and pulley in an attempt to resolve the issue. According to one of the engineers at Victory, it is a problem with the drive system that they are painfully aware of. They are currently testing various belt and pulley configurations. Unfortunately, they had no belts or pulley in stock. No spare parts for Victory in Sturgis, really? My bike is now at the Victory dealer back here in San Diego getting the work done. I can tell you one thing, I am not putting soap, lubricant, wax or anything on my belt any more. This is Victory's problem, not mine. I will go back and get that belt and pulley changed again and again until this problem is fixed. For 23k dollars, people should be looking because the bike is awesome, not because it sounds like I am dragging a mouse to death.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my 5000 mile service completed before going to the Sturgis motorcycle rally. About 300 miles into the trip the belt started making lots of noise when cold. After a while, it was making noise all the time. I cleaned the belt, adjusted the alignment and tension, and used the dry lubricant. Nothing worked for very long. The noise kept coming back and seemed to be getting worse. By the time I arrived in Sturgis it was really loud and I went the Victory display in downtown to talk to someone. Apparently they knew about this issue with their big bikes having this problem, but nothing else. I had to go 30 miles to Rapid City to the Victory dealer and have it looked at. No mechanics or technicians in Sturgis, really? The Rapid City dealer adjusted the belt and the noise was not any better. The warrantee person at Rapid City talked to Victory and they agreed to replace the belt and pulley in an attempt to resolve the issue. According to one of the engineers at Victory, it is a problem with the drive system that they are painfully aware of. They are currently testing various belt and pulley configurations. Unfortunately, they had no belts or pulley in stock. No spare parts for Victory in Sturgis, really? My bike is now at the Victory dealer back here in San Diego getting the work done. I can tell you one thing, I am not putting soap, lubricant, wax or anything on my belt any more. This is Victory's problem, not mine. I will go back and get that belt and pulley changed again and again until this problem is fixed. For 23k dollars, people should be looking because the bike is awesome, not because it sounds like I am dragging a mouse to death.
I had my rear tire replaced at 9200 miles and was worried the belt chirping might come back. Thankfully it didn't. Listened to a Victory chirp by at the AVR. My bike was going on the auction block if I had to listen to the chirping. Still considering shaft drive like my old Honda CX500. The shop that tensioned my belt and got rid of the chirping, charged me $50. Anyone got a Victory warranty address to send that bill to? Yes, my Kingpin is still under warranty for three more weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you have to get warranty work approved before they do it. Once I was having the problem, everyone I was with could spot a Victory from a distance just by the noise. At Sturgis, by friend test rode a squeaky Vision also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: Put the Cross Country into the shop one week ago. The warranty will cover the replacement of the belt and pulleys to get rid of the noise. Now I have been told that Victory has the pulley on back order till next month! Maybe Polaris should stick to snowmobiles.

·
13,236 Posts
Update: Put the Cross Country into the shop one week ago. The warranty will cover the replacement of the belt and pulleys to get rid of the noise. Now I have been told that Victory has the pulley on back order till next month! Maybe Polaris should stick to snowmobiles.
Why is Victory pulling the wool over customers eye or ears.
The belt is cut to wide for the pulley.
If the belt was 1/8" narrow you or they could adjust it so it would track to the outer edge.
If you read how to adjust the belt its ass backwards of what you would think. I guess cause of the link system you roll wheel backwards them forward. All other bikes roll forward to adjust.

By the way yes I said wax the edge of the belt and 7 thousand miles and no chirp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Warranty Fixed My Chirp

Update: The parts came in earlier than expected and I have my Cross Country back home with a new belt and pulleys replaced under warranty. My bike was at the shop for 3 weeks. There is absolutely no noise coming from the belt now and the bike is a pleasure to ride again. I had a real close look at the belt and pulleys after I got home and noticed something interesting. The new belt has an almost waxy or oily coating on it like some new tires have. The old belt was dry rubber. I wonder if the noise starts after this coating is warn away? It took 5000 miles for the noise show up last time, so we will see what happens after another 5000 on the new parts.

·
13,236 Posts
Update: The parts came in earlier than expected and I have my Cross Country back home with a new belt and pulleys replaced under warranty. My bike was at the shop for 3 weeks. There is absolutely no noise coming from the belt now and the bike is a pleasure to ride again. I had a real close look at the belt and pulleys after I got home and noticed something interesting. The new belt has an almost waxy or oily coating on it like some new tires have. The old belt was dry rubber. I wonder if the noise starts after this coating is warn away? It took 5000 miles for the noise show up last time, so we will see what happens after another 5000 on the new parts.
When I had my chirpimg after a correct alignment I went to the store and bought caning wax. $2.98 and I have a life time supply now. I tuck the wax and rubbed it on the outer edge of the hole length of the belt. No more chirping and have 5 thousand miles on a quiet belt

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I had my chirpimg after a correct alignment I went to the store and bought caning wax. $2.98 and I have a life time supply now. I tuck the wax and rubbed it on the outer edge of the hole length of the belt. No more chirping and have 5 thousand miles on a quiet belt
I am sure that putting wax on the belt did the trick. The problem is that Victory does not have anything in their service manual telling you to put wax on the belt. Are you voiding the warranty? Are you hiding a more serious problem? I don't know, but Victory's solution to belt chirping was to replace the pulleys and belt. The Victory Dealer warranty person and I had an interesting conversation with an engineer at Victory about the problem. The engineer mentioned that some people put wax or soap on the belt to correct the problem, but he would not tell me to do the same.

Perhaps Victory would fix this problem faster if people would stop covering up the problem and start using their warranty.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
...I had a real close look at the belt and pulleys after I got home and noticed something interesting. The new belt has an almost waxy or oily coating on it like some new tires have. The old belt was dry rubber. I wonder if the noise starts after this coating is warn away? It took 5000 miles for the noise show up last time, so we will see what happens after another 5000 on the new parts.
To me (not an expert) that would make sense if the rear pulley had been slightly out of alignment and wore that coating on the pulley and belt off. I replaced my front pulley with an OD and I didnt have my rear quite lined up. Yup, here comes the chirp everyone talked about. Well, fiddled with it until it was time to replace my rear tire (about 1500 miles.. Yes, should have done them both at once) and when I aligned this time, took it slow and must have got it on the money. Belt tracks slight to the right not riding on the outer edge and no chirp nor hum (my tension was off too). Thanks for this bit of feedback Frank.thumb up

Safe ridin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chirp and Tire wear

I have had my 2012 CCT almost a year and the last time I had the dealer check everything and adjust belt tension was at the end of break-in. I ride to work almost daily. The dealer is a 45 minute ride from my house and the few time I have been there were just after buying this bike. While it was being checked out at the end of break-in, I mentioned to the tech that it appears the rear tire is wearing to right of center. He really didn't have much to say about it. Of course at that point the tire didn't have much wear on it. After putting a couple thousand miles on the belt chirp started. I remembered speaking with the tech that adjusted it. He stated that alignment and final adjustment should be done on the left side of the axle. I read here on the procedure and in the manual. It seems I can never get the chirp to stay away for long. I am coming up on 10,000 mile mark and the rear tire is definitely wearing to the right of center. I have always made small adjustments on the left side to get the belt centered on the rear pulley. I will be right in the middle on the way to work in the afternoon, and then on the way home it moves to one side and the chirp returns. The last few times I have got the belt centered the chirp is still the. It is always while accelerating or with some load applied. I have come to the conclusion that the dealer is going to have to address this. I am prepared to buy a new rear tire due to the amount of miles I have rode this bike. I just can't take the chirping anymore. Why is it the belt can't stay centered and the rear tire is wearing like I am running a tight circle to the right the whole time I am ridding. Currently I believe the rear axle was not machined correctly. How else could the wheel be off center? Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had my 2012 CCT almost a year.... It seems I can never get the chirp to stay away for long. I am coming up on 10,000 mile mark ...... It is always while accelerating or with some load applied. I have come to the conclusion that the dealer is going to have to address this...... Any thoughts or advice?
Since your bike is under warranty, have your dealer handle this as a warranty issue. Read on here somewhere that Victory replaced the belt gear. You could try adding a little more overall belt tension. That worked for mine (this was performed by the dealer/mechanic). That chirp was going to be the breaking point for me and Victory. Thankfully mine is gone (for now)!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts