Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I just joined today. I have been biking for 48 years. I have a 2013 Cross Country Tour that I purchased used in April 2014 with 5000 miles on it. It now has just under 9000. Somewhere around 7000 miles I noticed a chirping sound coming from the front of the engine or front end. It seemed to go away after the bike warmed up at first but now is more or less constant. It is a rotational sound and speeds up as the bike speeds up. It only occurs under load with the clutch engaged. In other words if I pull the clutch in and rev the engine there is no chirping noise. I have had the bike into the dealer but, of course, they can't make it chirp. That was last year. As I stated it is getting worse. I am pretty sure they can hear it if I left it with them a few days. It still seems louder when the bike is first started and moving as above. Other bikers have mentioned they hear it riding along side of me. The dealer said it could be the belt as it may need an adjustment. This made be as it would be tighter under load. I first thought it had something to do with the clutch when engaged. My friend who has a 2014 Victory Vision with less miles is experiencing this as well but as I did in the beginning. Has anyone experienced this and/ot does anyone have any knowledge of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have done several adjustments to the belt on the cross bikes with good success and some needed the belt and pulley replaced under warranty. Since it goes away when you pull in the clutch I would def lean towards a belt adjustment first. Victory would want any dealer to try and adjust it first before they will warranty a new belt and pulley, but I have seen them ok new parts. Hope that helps.

·
12,970 Posts
Its the belt 98% of the time. Roll your bike into the garage and stop it. No rolling backwards. Pull right saddle bags. Now get on the floor and look down the belt line. If its not straight its out of alignment for one.
Now in the middle of the belt push up with your finger. Its should go up about a 1/2 inch. If it does not then its out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Some people rub bar soap on the sides of the belt to check to see if alignment or over tightness is the issue.

Then once you are sure it isn't over tight and it is in alignment but the chirping stops after applying the soap; you can use a lubricant every once in a while to keep it quiet. I used
every few months and after a year or two it no longer needed it. I guess the belt settled in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some people rub bar soap on the sides of the belt to check to see if alignment or over tightness is the issue.

Then once you are sure it isn't over tight and it is in alignment but the chirping stops after applying the soap; you can use a lubricant every once in a while to keep it quiet. I used this Dupont lube every few months and after a year or two it no longer needed it. I guess the belt settled in.
:I agree::I agree:

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Only other explanation could be a budgerigar stuck between the oil cooler and the engine.
Sorry...couldnt resist it:rolleyes:

Welcome to the funhouse....errr forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts