Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I lowered my 2013 XC 2". A week or so after I did it, I noticed a strange chirping type sound that the best I can tell is coming from around or under the right side of my bike. It seems to do it more when I have a passenger. It's not a constant thing, just every now and then. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Check the belt alignment and anything rubbing up under the rear fender. Make certain there are no wires over the tire. If there are, move them to the side. And you lowered it because?

·
13,003 Posts
add some air to shock.
Look at top of belt for shinny spots. If you see a shinny spot or polished looking rubber your belt is rubbing on something.
Did you adjust your belt after you lowered it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the belt alignment and anything rubbing up under the rear fender. Make certain there are no wires over the tire. If there are, move them to the side. And you lowered it because?
I just think it looks better lowered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
add some air to shock.
Look at top of belt for shinny spots. If you see a shinny spot or polished looking rubber your belt is rubbing on something.
Did you adjust your belt after you lowered it
Thanks I'll try that. And no, I didn't adjust the belt at all.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess you don't have any roads with curves like we have here in the NW. :confused:
That's what I am thinking, best part about my XC is the cornering ability, but I guess there is some room for lowering... To each his own, I have seen a few lowered bikes (just for looks), but then again the lowered look has never really done anything for me. Try what these guys said, and worst case try some parafin wax on the side of the belt if nothing else, got rid of a chirp that belt alignment couldn't solve on my Vegas.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
No one looking at my bike has ever suggested it would look better if I lowered it. I have already scraped the boards and would not want to limit the lean angle any more. I may be old, but I still like to work the twisties. But hey, there's no accounting for taste and some value appearance over performance. What ever trips your trigger.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Dealer likes to lower

I am 5'7" tall. The dealer when I bought my bike tried to talk me into lowering it when I bought it. I told them NO do not lower the bike. I had them move the floorboards back all the way,which for me was good. They were almost insistant on lowering the bike for my short legs. I had to be very insistant to leave the bike the "STOCK" height. The salesman & mechanic both nice guys were both much taller than me, and they really thought it would benefit me, I had to disagree. I told them I did not want to drag the bike through the turns. I have put 18K on the bike since new. Guess what I never have lowered it and yes I did drag on the right one time, just think if I had lowered it , it may have dragged many more times. To each there own on style I guess and looks. I test rode the Triumph Thunderbird a couple of times and during the first test ride I drug the bike four times through the turns, figured bike was not for me, even though I really liked the engine and transmission. For me if I can put my feet on the pavement safely I do not see a reason to lower a bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The belt is too tight. I had an adjustable link installed and had them set it at 2" however when I got home I lowered it some more and experienced what you are experiencing. I raised it back up to where it was and the sound is gone. I also experienced some pipe scraping and bottoming out issues with it lowered beyond 2". YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
you need to loosen the belt when lowering , also take your right side cover off and look at the area that is over the belt, it may also be rubbing, mine did, i ground a little more off for clearance and all is good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I adjusted the belt a couple of weeks ago and it fixed the issue all together.... It was way too tight!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts