Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a sort of constant chirping/whistling noise comming form the rear of my XC. I thought it was the wind blowing across the hardbags but now it sounds like it is around the wheel area. Could it be the belt being loose? I thought it was only when I was on it but my wife told me she hears it all the time but I have the radio loud and it drowns it out. I am taking it for the 500 mile maintenance in the next day or two so I will have them check things out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow - I noticed that today riding home but I though it was wind blowing over my helmet. It was pretty windy today.

I am going to have to listen and see if I still hear it.

If you find something out post it up....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do Chief. You do the same. Thanks for the responses. I will have them check the belt. It does not seem tight, in fact it seems to have more play than it should when I lift up on it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am getting a sort of constant chirping/whistling noise comming form the rear of my XC. I thought it was the wind blowing across the hardbags but now it sounds like it is around the wheel area. Could it be the belt being loose? I thought it was only when I was on it but my wife told me she hears it all the time but I have the radio loud and it drowns it out. I am taking it for the 500 mile maintenance in the next day or two so I will have them check things out. Any thoughts?
Just an after thought as I too thought maybe belt issue....could it be a rear wheel bearing...? Not the best mechanic here (pretty good on older bikes) Newer bikes have me baffled... :confused:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Highly unlikely its the bearing on such a new bike. My money is on the belt. This is a known problem for years on the bikes not just the X bikes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Highly unlikely its the bearing on such a new bike. My money is on the belt. This is a known problem for years on the bikes not just the X bikes.
+1 on this. I had a Roadliner that did this and also a Roadglide. One was to tight and one was out of alignment. The one that was out of alignment was hitting on the egde of the rear pulley in front and the opposite edge in the rear.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Sounds like it's too tight. The belt shrinks or the pulleys expand when they get warm so the belt needs to be set to the right tension at the tightest spot.
Sounds kinda weird to quote myself but didn't this get resolved by now?

·
Registered
289 Posts
howdy

mine chirped when she was new...sounded like crickets to me..it stopped after about 1k..still kinda babying her till then......comes back for a bit after service when they adjust the belt...i reckon the slammers help a bit...anyway no problems here...just hit the key, twist and smile...just at 10k now....

·
Registered
336 Posts
will I ride every day and for about three days I heard it... Today and yesterday - nothing.

I have no idea. Not worried either. I hope the OP's worked itself out as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the shop

I took it to the shop for my 500mi service and told them what I was experiencing. It is now still in the shop and getting cleared by Ma Vic to tear into it and see what's wrong. The dealer would not let me ride it due to concern of safety. They said there seems to be small balls of rubber in between some of the ridges in the belt and they don't know why it's happening until they get into it. At first they thought it was metal but was rubber. They said some rubber is normal but mine seems excessive and have never seen this before. So I am without my XC. However, my dealer lent me a Vision for the weekend. I will keep the forum posted once I know what they find out is the cause.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took it to the shop for my 500mi service and told them what I was experiencing. It is now still in the shop and getting cleared by Ma Vic to tear into it and see what's wrong. The dealer would not let me ride it due to concern of safety. They said there seems to be small balls of rubber in between some of the ridges in the belt and they don't know why it's happening until they get into it. At first they thought it was metal but was rubber. They said some rubber is normal but mine seems excessive and have never seen this before. So I am without my XC. However, my dealer lent me a Vision for the weekend. I will keep the forum posted once I know what they find out is the cause.
I had this same thing happen on a RoadGlide and it was wheel alignment. The rear pulley was nawing away at the belt. But we all know that one screwed up tooth on the front or rear sprocket can cause this. Curious to see what it is though. I asked for a loaner and was laughed at. I don't guess thats the HD way. How long are they going to keep it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got my XC back after a week in the shop. Turns out the belt was defective. They said the belt would not keep even tension for some reason. They checked everything out mechanically and it all looked fine so they concluded it must be a bad belt. They ordered a new one,installed it and did several tests on it and no chirping or whistling. I am to take it back after a couple hundred miles so they can check the tension and make sure it is good. They also said the small balls of rubber between some of the tracks were normal wear after all. Needless to say I was in a bad mood all week until I got the call that it was done yesterday. Been riding all day today, no noise, just a perfect day in sunny FL. Thanks for all the comments and ride safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts