Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I can’t get my head around the fact that there are many religions around the world, and most (if not all) seem to insist they are the One True Path. Which one is correct?
We can all expect to burn in hell just as a matter of probability...
Let's say that ONE of the world's religions is true. What are the odds that you chose that religion? There will be billions of people burning in hell because they grew up in the wrong culture and chose the wrong religion. All the while each religion is certain that they are right and all the other religions are false. And this is the will of the benevolent creator of the universe?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Perhaps some of the adherents reading this are statistically advantaged due to the lucky happenstance of their birth location. Most of the religious in the USA are Christian and Christianity is the most popular religion in the world with about a 33% market share amongst those professing a faith (Google "List of Religious Populations"). Let's not kid ourselves - religion is big business and marketing/market share is an important aspect. Anyway, if the fraction of adherents is any indication of accuracy, than the Christians seem to be the most likely to have selected properly. On the other hand, there are plenty of subsects of Christianity and some of these condemn to Hell those not practicing their particular brand of Christianity. Hmm, I guess those of you Christians handling snakes as part of your rites might have chosen poorly (a scream and you are thrown from the bridge ala Monty Python), again if number of practitioners is any indication of accuracy.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Perhaps some of the adherents reading this are statistically advantaged due to the lucky happenstance of their birth location. Most of the religious in the USA are Christian and Christianity is the most popular religion in the world with about a 33% market share amongst those professing a faith (Google "List of Religious Populations"). Let's not kid ourselves - religion is big business and marketing/market share is an important aspect. Anyway, if the fraction of adherents is any indication of accuracy, than the Christians seem to be the most likely to have selected properly. On the other hand, there are plenty of subsects of Christianity and some of these condemn to Hell those not practicing their particular brand of Christianity. Hmm, I guess those of you Christians handling snakes as part of your rites might have chosen poorly (a scream and you are thrown from the bridge ala Monty Python), again if number of practitioners is any indication of accuracy.
Claims do not become true by virtue of how many people believe/accept the claim. Something is either true or it is not (or it may be partially true). It is quite possible for the religion with the least number of followers to be true. One thing is certain, they can't all be true... but they can all be false.

You may find this interesting...

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I see no reason to attack each other...

Unless you see yourself as a small-minded person who doesn't understand some people have faith; there was no attack other than in your imagination.

Out of all the world's religions, what made you decide yours is true? Why is it necessary to reject science to believe in God? If you REALLY don't trust science, get rid of that smart phone and get off the internet. When you're sick, have the ambulance take you to a church instead of a hospital.

Typical leftist twisting of ideas. I'm not particularly religious but I do believe in God. My "God beliefs" are not up for debate. They are personal.

We all trust science (we use the discoveries brought to us by the scientific method EVERY DAY). Science doesn't require faith, in fact the methods don't allow it... but to dismiss certain scientific discoveries because "I just can't see how that could be true" does require something called 'denial'.
Science, as well ALL know, can easily be manipulated by corrupt scientists such as with the glo-bullshit warming farce.

Science can be a good thing but as long as there are those who twist and corrupt it so they can get grants or fat paychecks; it should always be viewed in a skeptical manner.

Having said that I enjoy reading about the various advances in technology. Science and technology are not the same thing. There is science involved in the advancement of technology just as technology is used to advance science but they are not the same thing.

If the global warming hoax wasn't being pushed so hard by the left; science would be taken more seriously. It's just a means to transfer money from the taxpayers to the pockets of a certain group who greatly benefit from it.

Once again; faith does not need validation from those who have no faith. I do feel pity for those who think the lights fade to black and that's the end for us when we die with nothing to look forward to at the next level; whatever that may be. I can't imagine a more meaningless existence.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters in addition to Abel, Cain, and Seth (Gen. 5:4), and if there was only one original family, then the first marriages had to be between brothers and sisters. Such marriages in the beginning were not harmful. Incest is dangerous because inherited mutant genes that produce deformed, sickly, or moronic children are more likely to find expression in children if those genes are carried by both parents.

Adam and Eve, coming from the creative hand of God, had no such mutant genes. Therefore, marriages between brothers and sisters, or cousins or other relatives, in the first and second generations following Adam and Eve would not have been dangerous

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
Like Ken Ham said, “Well, there’s this book.” Yea, but who wrote the book?

Someone else said “Fossils were placed by god to test our faith”.

Seriously?

I can’t get my head around the fact that there are many religions around the world, and most (if not all) seem to insist they are the One True Path. Which one is correct?

Occam’s Razor comes into play here, which says given a variety of scenarios, the simplest one tends to be the answer.

“How about the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree?”

I forgot where I found that but its a good question. And if it’s wrong, well, I’m not religious.

Sounds more like a description of things to tell the masses before we actually discovered many of the truths we simply didn’t know 2000 years ago.
On another forum I bring this up and argue your position. Yes, there is the Bible, Koran, and other books but they are written by men and their interpretation of what the word of "their God or prophet" is. Not only that; we have to look at the time and era they were written. Some have been re-written to adjust for the times. Some have not.

Either way the biases of those who did the interpretations are built into those pages.

I think religion is a tool used by many to control the masses and it has worked for tens of thousands of years in one form or another. Except for Islam; they all teach decent fundamentals of behavior.

The reason I pity those who don't believe in God or at least the possibility of a higher power and a next level is those people believe they have free rein to commit any moral wrong they like while they are here with no consequences when they die.

Those who believe there is a price to pay, perhaps for eternity, will naturally be better people on average unless they have a significant mental illness such as being a sociopath or psychopath with no conscience or built-in filter.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
The reason I pity those who don't believe in God or at least the possibility of a higher power and a next level is those people believe they have free rein to commit any moral wrong they like while they are here with no consequences when they die.

Those who believe there is a price to pay, perhaps for eternity, will naturally be better people on average unless they have a significant mental illness such as being a sociopath or psychopath with no conscience or built-in filter.
Exactly the opposite...
How many times have you heard, "I'm not perfect, just forgiven"?
In mainstream Christianity, you get to heaven by grace, not deeds. No matter what crimes you commit, you can just accept Jesus as your savior and go to heaven. All is forgiven. You have NO PRICE TO PAY for your crimes.

If a person is only 'good' because they want a an eternal reward or fear an eternal punishment then they are really not 'good' at all.

There is ZERO correlation between religiosity and crime. In my 58 years on this rock it seems to me that those who claim the moral high ground are the ones who carry the most baggage of hatred and bigotry. Evangelical types have a higher divorce rate, higher rate of teen pregnancy, a higher rate of pedophilia, and a higher rate of abortion too, despite claims to the contrary.

How many preachers have bilked little old ladies out of their life savings? Look at Kent Hovind being caught doing drugs with a male prostitute, the scandals of the Bakers, Swaggart's scandal, priests raping little boys, etc. These are the people who claim to be the most "Godly". The US is a very religious country, but look at the crime rate. Statistically, the least religious countries have the lowest crime rates.

I have raped and murdered all the people I wanted to... and that number is zero. I would be the last person to steal from you, lie to you, harm you, or hit on your wife, not because of a belief in a higher power, but because I have no desire to do those things.

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
-snip-

I have raped and murdered all the people I wanted to... and that number is zero. I would be the last person to steal from you, lie to you, harm you, or hit on your wife, not because of a belief in a higher power, but because I have no desire to do those things.
Okay, I'll take you at your word, but you don't speak for the other 7 billion people on the planet.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If the global warming hoax wasn't being pushed so hard by the left; science would be taken more seriously. It's just a means to transfer money from the taxpayers to the pockets of a certain group who greatly benefit from it.
The climate change debate is a huge misrepresentation of reality. The climate is going to change, the sun gets hotter every day and eventually we will not survive here. The problem is that our pollution is speeding it up. Do you want a reasonable climate for another 5000 years, or do you want to keep polluting the planet and cause the climate to be unbearable in 500 years? Climate change is naturally occurring, not some "leftist conspiracy". The object is not to hurry it along. You seem to be ignoring the economic impact of climate change.

"The World Employment and Social Outlook 2018 estimated that climate change threatens 1.2 billion jobs. The industries most at risk are agriculture, fisheries, and forestry. Maine is already seeing a decline in its lobster catches. Natural disasters have already cost 23 million working life years since 2000. On the other hand, efforts to stop climate change would create 24 million new jobs by 2030."

I do feel pity for those who think the lights fade to black and that's the end for us when we die with nothing to look forward to at the next level; whatever that may be. I can't imagine a more meaningless existence.
I feel pity for those who waste this life in hopes of a better one when this is over. Makes life here meaningless if this is just a stop-over. Those who know this life is all you get tend to make the most of it. After I die, all I want is for people to think of me and smile. That's enough reward for living a good life. Remember before you were born? Yeah, me either. It'll be just like that.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Government is trying to suppress Christian beliefs. They want to put them in jail.

Christian Artists Could Face Jail in AZ for Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples | Fox News Insider
More horse **** propaganda... You are not being persecuted. A same-sex-couple's money is just as green as anyone else's, why not take it? Charge them a "queer fee". LOL

All you need to do is put up a sign, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone without explanation". As long as you make it known up front, you're legally OK.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Okay, I'll take you at your word, but you don't speak for the other 7 billion people on the planet.
Where did I say I was speaking for anyone but myself?

It's you religious types who want to make laws against things you don't approve of, not because they harm you or infringe on your rights, but because you just don't like it.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Here is more on the study. Believe what you want I'm not trying to covert you to Christianity. I'm just showing you a study that supports it to some extent.
https://www.inquisitr.com/5177309/new-research-has-concluded-that-all-humans-are-descendants-of-just-one-couple-who-lived-200000-years-ago/
From your link:
"It should be pointed out that some religious groups may believe that this study suggests that humans first came into existence 100,000 years ago after some major event like the Big Bang, yet this is not at all what the new research suggests."

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
As far as I am concerned, I believe life does 'fade to black' when it's over. Eyes close for the last time and that's it. I don't believe in any sort of afterlife. It makes for a pretty thought, but that's all it is for me - a thought. A wish. We're born, we live a while, then we die. The cycle continues. I don't think there is anything after.

And I am OK with that.

But that's just me. Just do the best we can while we're here. Don't let my beliefs interfere with yours. On this, I feel as strongly as the Faithful do about Heaven or the afterlife. Who's right?

[EDIT]
As for morality, I don't need religion to be a good person. I know right from wrong. I know the *consequences* of right from wrong. I still choose to be a good person. Why, to appease a 'mythical being that lives in the sky'? No, because being good helps everyone. And it makes me feel better about myself.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters in addition to Abel, Cain, and Seth (Gen. 5:4), and if there was only one original family, then the first marriages had to be between brothers and sisters. Such marriages in the beginning were not harmful. Incest is dangerous because inherited mutant genes that produce deformed, sickly, or moronic children are more likely to find expression in children if those genes are carried by both parents.

Adam and Eve, coming from the creative hand of God, had no such mutant genes. Therefore, marriages between brothers and sisters, or cousins or other relatives, in the first and second generations following Adam and Eve would not have been dangerous
Have you any sort of evidence to show that the biblical creation account is true? What has convinced you of the truth of the story?

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
The climate change debate is a huge misrepresentation of reality. The climate is going to change, the sun gets hotter every day and eventually we will not survive here. The problem is that our pollution is speeding it up. Do you want a reasonable climate for another 5000 years, or do you want to keep polluting the planet and cause the climate to be unbearable in 500 years? Climate change is naturally occurring, not some "leftist conspiracy". The object is not to hurry it along. You seem to be ignoring the economic impact of climate change.

"The World Employment and Social Outlook 2018 estimated that climate change threatens 1.2 billion jobs. The industries most at risk are agriculture, fisheries, and forestry. Maine is already seeing a decline in its lobster catches. Natural disasters have already cost 23 million working life years since 2000. On the other hand, efforts to stop climate change would create 24 million new jobs by 2030."

I feel pity for those who waste this life in hopes of a better one when this is over. Makes life here meaningless if this is just a stop-over. Those who know this life is all you get tend to make the most of it. After I die, all I want is for people to think of me and smile. That's enough reward for living a good life. Remember before you were born? Yeah, me either. It'll be just like that.
You and I will NEVER agree on much politically or religious.

The world is not black and white. We have a soul. You choose to believe in science not proven and likely never will be so you too have faith; it's just misplaced. Fake science is still fake. Life goes on for some of us after death and for others it will be fade to black and that will be the end forever. I choose to believe in faith and God even though I have no proof of it either.

I'll ask about the afterlife plan for atheists when I get there. I do hope there is hope for you atheists after all. Maybe that's when you get to see the light. Of course much of that will likely depend on how this life was lived and for those who say asking forgiveness at the end of life after a life of being a criminal, ripping people off, or killing innocents; I don't believe they get a free pass. I believe they have a penance to pay that may take eons. Maybe they get sent back as a tapeworm or something as a way to pay that penance.

Maybe you're right though. None of us will know until it's our time. Me; I choose the err on the side of caution and believe in an afterlife. It costs nothing, makes me a better and happier person, and it beats the alternative IMHO.

True Hell would be to be a leftist. Now that's some serious bad juju there. Major penance. Imagine going through life as a confused psychotic like that! Hell on earth I'd say. :devil

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Here's something to ponder re: climate change. Yes, it has changed before. But never has it changed so dramatically so quickly.

https://xkcd.com/1732/ - Data sources are noted on the upper right side of the panel.

Shakun, et al (2012)
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10915
Marcott et al (2013)
A Reconstruction of Regional and Global Temperature for the Past 11,300 Years | Science
Annan and Hargreaves (2013)
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.394.7943&rep=rep1&type=pdf
HadCRUT4
https://crudata.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/
IPCC
https://www.ipcc.ch/

But, for a quick idea of just how dramatic of a change that's happening, scroll quickly to the bottom keeping your eye on the dotted line. Then note what you see at the bottom. The time scale is the same from the top to the bottom, 500-year divisions (and further divides them in 100's at the bottom).

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
True Hell would be to be a leftist. Now that's some serious bad juju there. Major penance. Imagine going through life as a confused psychotic like that! Hell on earth I'd say. :devil
I wouldn't know anything about that, since I'm a life-long Republican.
These days, just typing that makes me throw up in my mouth a little because of what the party has become. I doubt the party will survive Trump.

21 - 40 of 165 Posts