Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow speed maneuvering with my bike in 1st and at just off idle, my by 'chugs' or a better description would be it sounds and jerks as if its only firing on one cylinder. It runs like a champ other than that, had the tank off the other day and cleaned the throttle bodies, wich were hardly dirty, but got cleaned anyway. Was thinking maybe a touch too much advance? P.I.T.A. on my bike to mess with the wheel on a maybe thats it. I will tho, but wanted to hear from some guys who know, firstthumb up

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Are you operating in the "friction zone"? Accelerate to keep Rpm's up to say 2000rpms and slip the clutch. Also slightly drag the rear brakes at the same time.You will have great control that way. It takes practice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the taking off part down, but going thru the parking lot at bike night at the local quaker steak and lube (not a paid spokesman) at slow speeds it chugs, id like to just putt thru there, as they tend to frown on the guy blasting away thru pedestrians

·
Registered
12,239 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were more sensitive ricz, I swear you were saying i suck, but ive had a couple buddies ride it and have said the same about it chugging. (That doesnt mean I dont suck, by the way):ltr:

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
No sucking intended Sly. I have been riding over 62 years and always had problems with making tight, or U turns until I got a RLAP video. Viewing that was not only good for me, but good for my bike too. Just spreading the Gospel Sly. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just giving you a hard time ricz, I try not to take myself too seriously. I will take a look, because I do know for sure that I dont know everything

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Try a few more revs and slipping the clutch a little in tight slow situations

·
Registered
445 Posts
Slow speed maneuvering with my bike in 1st and at just off idle, my by 'chugs' or a better description would be it sounds and jerks as if its only firing on one cylinder.
All the time or just when cold? My bike when cold has a cyclic grabby clutch. Not a smooth slip. But a grab and release, grab and release.

But this is the bike movement not the engine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine needs to be going pretty durn slow before it starts "chugging" ...Maybe a tweek to the fuel controller is in order...:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
All the time or just when cold? My bike when cold has a cyclic grabby clutch. Not a smooth slip. But a grab and release, grab and release.
When my bike is colder , not fully hot yet , my clutch and or my trans makes a choppy sound when letting out or feathering my clutch with some clunking sounds too ... I may bring it in to get it checked out . Could be my torque compensator or something but only happens in slow speed clutching situations ....Subsides and smooth's out when fully warmed up .

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Mike from AZ Police Victory says in some of his police riding videos that you can just let the clutch out and use idle engine idle speed to do some slow speed maneuvers. I cannot do that with my CCT. It seems that every power pulse can be felt in a very jerky way. My bike idles perfectly at 1000rpm. Maybe Mike raise the idle on his training bike a bit???

Like the others have said, I have to raise the idle on my CCT by twisting the grip a bit and slip my clutch a bit to maintain 'parade' slow motion riding. That and I also partially release the clutch and then pull it back in to maintain smooth very slow forward motion. It takes practice. The rear brake is also your friend. Exactly like the Ride Like a Pro videos teach.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike from AZ Police Victory says in some of his police riding videos that you can just let the clutch out and use idle engine idle speed to do some slow speed maneuvers. I cannot do that with my CCT. It seems that every power pulse can be felt in a very jerky way. My bike idles perfectly at 1000rpm. Maybe Mike raise the idle on his training bike a bit???

Like the others have said, I have to raise the idle on my CCT by twisting the grip a bit and slip my clutch a bit to maintain 'parade' slow motion riding. That and I also partially release the clutch and then pull it back in to maintain smooth very slow forward motion. It takes practice. The rear brake is also your friend. Exactly like the Ride Like a Pro videos teach.
thats exactly what I have to do, no matter hot or cold. Have to do some more research on the torque compensator as to exactly what and how it works. Just glad to hear im not the only guy faking the slow rollcheers

·
13,027 Posts
Make sure you adjust your clutch when its over night cold.
Never warm or hot.

sounds like you just need to find the sweet spot to cruise the parking lot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts