Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use it for several different reasons. I’ve bought into the purposes of synth!

I’m sure not everyone agrees with this but I have no reason not to. I understood that it can, in the long run, save ME money. Read this link.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/synthetic-conventional-motor-oil.htm

“Synthetics can last as much as three times longer than conventional oil, which means that you could be dumping less than 15 to 24 quarts of oil per year.”
“Depending on where you drive (dusty, dirty climates), and how much and far you drive (shorter distances don't heat oil enough to boil off condensation in the engine), you can probably last between oil changes for 10,000, 15,000, on up to 20,000 miles with some brands of synthetic.”

1.Longevity – I do not like to change oil often or feel it necessary with synth technology but common sense tells me not to try to make it to 10,000 miles before changing.

“Synthetics have also been shown to produce less resistance in the engine and therefore offer more horsepower and overall efficiency for the engine. This added horsepower in return means that the engine will be able to perform at the same level as before, but using slightly less gas.”

2.Performance and better gas mileage – it would be crazy not to care about these things if you ride a lot.

There may be lots of people who can’t tell a difference in the oil in their bikes or even care. If you have the big bucks, you can simply drop it off for servicing and when you feel you've had your bike long enough, get a different one. There is nothing wrong with this and more power to you! Not a big deal, right?

This oil thread is for pointing out that… there is an option that can help us financially and help our machines. You either care or don’t give a rip! You CAN tell who the people are in the world that CARES.

The way they dress. The way they care for their belongings. The way they treat others. If their grass hasn’t been cut in a while. LOL!

Does it take a lot of effort and energy to create synth? Probably! Same with electricity.

I do not worry about running out of fossil fuel, global warming, no more toilet paper, no more diapers, batteries for cell phones and so on. I am concerned about not having coffee or a beer every now and then. What would there be to live for? cheers

I digress! :D

We all know the right things to do in life... and then we choose and live with our choices, huh? Why didn't I start a company years ago selling bottled water... what the heck was I thinking? :crzy:

Finally! Treat your bikes well and it will give you lots of pleasure and may even save your life. That can either be taken literally or tongue and cheek. This is what I tell myself anyway!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
DP pls...y u do dis?

...and I sure hope nobody judges me based on how my lawn looks. Cuz it looks like hell most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
DP pls...y u do dis?

...and I sure hope nobody judges me based on how my lawn looks. Cuz it looks like hell most of the time.
My lawn is rocks. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Mines all asphalt, I live in an industrial unit,
Nothing to mow! Zilch! Dont own a mower!
Recently though I've commandeered the metre or so wide strip of plastic mulched dirt that fronts the factory complex, between the carpark and the chainwire fence.
A patch about 30 feet long x 1 metre wide,
Ripped up the plastic and dug up the dirt, dug in a few bags if organic soil conditioner some lime and a few bags of mixed organic fertiliser. Planted kale, silverbeet, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, cauluflower, already.
And last week dug more organic mattet into the last 20 feet Ive already pre-dug and today putting in sweetcorn, climbing beans, zuchinni, and more tomatoes.
Spring has sprung here and I plan on caring for my body, as in we are what we eat. Been on organic veggies almost a year now after attending too many cancer funerals.
Cut out dead animal to a large degree tho I still enjoy the occcasional good steak. Or bacon n eggs yesterday for brekky on the road. Cut sugary fizzy drinks right out.
Zero alcohol, drugs, for 15+ years and no nicotine for 13.
So at 57 I'm reasonably healthy and know what I did last night. LOL!
I hope to be on the planet for a long time as well as a good time!
Riding my Victory, living life to the full.
And not mowing lawns:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! Perfect! Talking about grass... the cutting kind in an oil and lube thread.

I don't care! :D I enjoy what you guys say regardless.

Tell you the truth, Motorbx is making me want to go down under.

at 57 I'm reasonably healthy and know what I did last night. LOL!
I hope to be on the planet for a long time as well as a good time!
Riding my Victory, living life to the full.
And not mowing lawns
You are so right! Our health both mental and physical keeps us able to ride.

I want to go to Australia and Alaska before I die. I met a guy from Alaska today and he was telling me about the days when the sun never goes down there.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
I want to go to Australia and Alaska before I die. I met a guy from Alaska today and he was telling me about the days when the sun never goes down there.
I just came back from two weeks in Alaska. AMAZING place highly suggest everyone go visit. What's really cool is the sun rises in the North, circles the sky and sets in the North. Sunrise 5:35am sunset 11:13pm while we were there.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
1. Zero alcohol, drugs, for 15+ years and no nicotine for 13.

2. So at 57 I'm reasonably healthy and know what I did last night. LOL!
1. Amen brother

2. At 57 I bet you're proud you took a big poop. hahahaha :D :D

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Vin, but for me, I'll have the sun, sand and sea over winter any day!
Oh! The guy from Alaska just moved to Baton Rouge, La. after his wife of 44 years wanted a divorce. She got the gold mine, he got the shaft, and after 5 yrs of retirement, he had to go back to work.

A real bummer! All he can do is talk bout Alaska now... doubt he'll be jumping up and down about being in the south.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I bought into the synthetic stuff myself until I did a couple oil analysis. I work only 9 miles from my home. That's two trips a day of less than 10 miles. The oil doesn't even have time to reach operating temp by then. The result is high fuel level in the oil. Unless the oil reaches operating temps it will not burn off the small amount of fuel that does reach the oil and over time it will just accumulate, rendering your expensive oil useless in a short amount of time. That's mostly the case in the winter. I generally just ride to and from work when it gets real cold. Summer isn't that big of a deal because I really log the miles then. If you have a lot of short rides then synthetic is a waste of money. If you're unsure, do lab tests on your oil to find out.

Incase you're wondering, yes it is absolutely normal for fuel to reach the oil. It occurs on every gas engine. When the oil reaches temp it boils off the small amount of fuel and turns it into oxidation. Which is not good either. Long rides is the only way to get good life out of a synthetic oil. If you take lots of short rides, you're just wasting your money.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought into the synthetic stuff myself until I did a couple oil analysis. I work only 9 miles from my home. That's two trips a day of less than 10 miles. The oil doesn't even have time to reach operating temp by then. The result is high fuel level in the oil. Unless the oil reaches operating temps it will not burn off the small amount of fuel that does reach the oil and over time it will just accumulate, rendering your expensive oil useless in a short amount of time. That's mostly the case in the winter. I generally just ride to and from work when it gets real cold. Summer isn't that big of a deal because I really log the miles then. If you have a lot of short rides then synthetic is a waste of money. If you're unsure, do lab tests on your oil to find out.

Incase you're wondering, yes it is absolutely normal for fuel to reach the oil. It occurs on every gas engine. When the oil reaches temp it boils off the small amount of fuel and turns it into oxidation. Which is not good either. Long rides is the only way to get good life out of a synthetic oil. If you take lots of short rides, you're just wasting your money.
I have 11 miles to work one way. For some reason, after work, I always seem to get lost and takes 2 hours to get home.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
As long as you take them detours and get the bike good and warmed up, you'll get some long mileage out of synthetic oils. If you just go to and from your work , do a lab test and you'll see the oil is no good because of fuel dilution at about 3,500 - 4,000 miles

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never ever do short trips. I bought it to ride so I pay particular attention to fluids, sounds, gas usage, tires, and idgits on the road.

I am planning to change oil right around 5,000. I figure I will do 3 changes a year adding up to around $150 a year which to me is a great deal.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If I lived in the Phoenix, my lawn would be some nice red gravel. Those with lawns in the Valley of the Sun (or the City of Dis, as I call it...shout out to fans of literature here)...I just don't know how they keep 'em alive. I wouldn't be able to, with as much attention as I pay to the grass on my lot.

As for synthetic, i'm not gonna touch on M/C application. You done opened that can o' worms DP and I ain't gonna stir it. But I've used it in the cars for years with excellent fuel economy results. Our Mariner is only rated for 19-22 MPG but routinely turns 25 MPG. On our return trip from Phoenix 2 weeks ago we averaged 27, which makes no sense since the drive is all uphill. No complaints here tho.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice header pipes and downdraft carbs...those look like Adobe made them. Did you get them installed in a (photo)shop? :ltr:

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
If I lived in the Phoenix, my lawn would be some nice red gravel. Those with lawns in the Valley of the Sun (or the City of Dis, as I call it...shout out to fans of literature here)...I just don't know how they keep 'em alive. I wouldn't be able to, with as much attention as I pay to the grass on my lot.
They spend a fortune on water.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I never ever do short trips. I bought it to ride so I pay particular attention to fluids, sounds, gas usage, tires, and idgits on the road.
lol I bought mine to ride too which is how I got 3,700 miles in 2 months and almost 18,000 miles on my KP that I traded in less than a year and a half after buying it new. When the temperature drops to 16 degrees, I'm just riding to and from work. How many long trips do you usually take in 16 degree weather? ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am planning to change oil right around 5,000. I figure I will do 3 changes a year adding up to around $150 a year which to me is a great deal.
I change at 3,000 miles...need it or not. It cost me $18.50 per change (4.5 qt Rotella T 15-40 and Bosch filter bought by the case) so at 15,000 miles I'm spending $92.50

1 - 20 of 35 Posts