Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

So, I set out to clean my new XC 8 Ball this week. It was a very sunny day, and I did the 'normal' routine of cleaning a bike. I used a new clean sponge, and used Armour-all Wash and Wax Ultimate Shine on her.

Afterwards, I used a clean cotton rag to wipe her down. I couldn't believe the scratches (swirl scratches) in the paint! Not to mention the book scuffs that I put on her when I first got her!

Now, I did a search on this awesome site, and found a very good thread on cleaning the bike here: http://www.victoryforums.com/35-victory-general-discussion/10198-cleaning-waxing.html

My question is... how do I reduce these scratches/scuffs that are already there? Should I use a buffing compound, and an orbital buffer (I only have a orbital sander, so I would have to go out and get a buffer). Is there a solution that doesn't entail a new piece of equipment?

And of course... as always.... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvMeOT0Iko

No matter whose products you use, start with the least aggressive and work your way up. Stick with one product line and keep to the DIY products. Leave the heavier removal products to the pro's.

Alternatively, take it to a detail shop and let them do it properly. It doesn't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Victory BLACK is notorious for light scratches and swirl marks . I had a black Hammer , mine was no different .

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
Clay Bar to pull all the crap out of the surface, then light polishing compound by hand or small 3" orbital polisher if you want to save time and elbow grease (get the 6" model for cars), then your choice of wax or sealant. Maintain in between times with your choice of detail spray. I like Lucas Slick Mist but I'm sure the Meguiar's version (and others) is as good and maybe even better. The detail spray is also a good lubricant when using the clay bar. Anyone with a dark glossy paint job should occasionally do this process to keep your bike (or car) looking showroom great and help the clear coat do its job of protecting the substrate layers.

The absolute top of of the line choice by most detail pros for the top coat is Liquid Glass. Expensive but worth it and one can will last years for one bike.

For black it's really important to use the clay bar with detail spray as the lubricant. If the clay falls on the floor or ground; throw it away and get another piece. It's almost guaranteed the grit in the clay will scratch the clear coat badly. Maybe even down to the color coat which means color sanding, re-spraying clear coat on, wait a week or two, then buff. If that does happen there are excellent 2 part clear coats available in a rattle can. It's also great to use on lots of small fixes on our cars. You can literally buy a ready mixed match color in a rattle can for your car from Dupli-color then follow up with the spray can clear coat with some really fantastic results for those who are comfy with small DIY jobs.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Subscribed ....

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
13,263 Posts
Use the ( cotton rag or towel) for wiping your hands.
Buy quality microfiber towels. One for wax on one for wax off. Even use one for washing. Sponge can have dirt trapped in it.
Wax in straight lines not circles. According to house of colors don't wax period. With today's paint your better off using a spray detailer. Today's paints do not need moisturisers like the old lacquer and enamels needed.
If your paint surface feel coarse to the touch buy Mothers clay bar it works great.
Look for wax or detailer that says " anti static" that will help prevent dust from settling on bike. Wax creates static which draws dust. Get a california duster they have small ones. Great for dusting off your bike.
Wash your microfiber towels but never put them in dryer. Fabric softeners have petroleum in it and now your towels will streak. Let them drip dry

Reactions: DVega

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I can't believe the information you guys are sharing... THANKS! This has seriously been very beneficial...

And to be honest... this morning was the first time I've ever even heard of using clay on a car/motorcycle... Where the hell have I been???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silly question, but what's the difference between Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound and Meguiar's G19216 Ultimate Polish?

Consistency? Price?

Thanks again for all the great information... I know what I'll be doing this weeken :wink

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Silly question, but what's the difference between Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound and Meguiar's G19216 Ultimate Polish?

Consistency? Price?

Thanks again for all the great information... I know what I'll be doing this weeken :wink
just remember compound cuts and polish smooths so scratches need compound to cut the scratch out, and polish smooths it back out like glass.

·
13,263 Posts
wax all so cuts and scratches paint. Wax is designed to flatten imperfection in the paint
that why the spray detailer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I can see I'm going to have to hit Amazon up for some of these supplies.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me on this bike. The more I ride it, the more I like it. These things are engineering magnificence if you ask me lol

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Io like the easy peasy methods. Got small surface scratches? S-100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser does it for me. Always uses strokes that follow the windflow, no roundy roundy stuff. Same when applying wax and my choice is Meguire's Yellow 26. I've never had a deeper shine than with that wax.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I remember when I used to wash and wax my XR.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
How did you come up with this?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey there all,

I hate it when there is a post you come across where the OP has a situation/question, and get's great advice... just to leave you wondering what happened for the OP...

So, here is my resolution:

I went to Wally World, and they had pretty much everything you folks had suggested. I wound up buying a California Duster, Micro Towels, the Meguiar's Ultimate Clay (with detailer), the Meguiar's compound, wax and applicators.

I used the detailer to clean the areas that I was working on. I then applied the compound, using small circular motions. I wiped away the access compound with one of the towels, and cleaned the surface with the detailer/clay. I then applied some of the spray on wax.

I absolutley CANNOT believe how good this came out! I mean, all boot scuffs, small circular scratches, EVERYTHING came out. Not only the tank, but on the plastic as well... I mean, this thing looks better than when I bought it! Seriously... the thing looks like it's wet, even days after I detailed it!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I not only did my Victory, but I used it on my 22 year old Harley Lowrider... and now that thing looks brand new!

One last question... has anyone here used the spray on wax over the span of a couple of days to build up a coat of it for protection?

Thank you all once again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, this stuff is the best I've ever used.. ezdetailer.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Premium-Detailer-Waterless-Cleaning/dp/B0041I1II0[/ame]

http://ezdetailer.com

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I'm partial to turtle Wax's ICE detailer. Its clear and doesn't leave any white residue. It comes in a trigger type bottle that I can hang on my pants pocket to free both hands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts