Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I rinse it first, use proper victory towels for clean and dry.. . But no matter what I do I can see micro scratches in the clear coat already!!

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I noticed fine scratches on my rear fender the first day I rode it. I also found some wax residue on the passenger seat cover so I am assuming the scratches were from the dealer waxing it. Do yourself a favor and go pick up some 3M rubbing compound- I've used it for years, it is awesome stuff. One light buff (done by hand with microfiber towel) and scratches went bye bye.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Make sure you are using a good quality towel. I only use Adam's products on my bike and cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed fine scratches on my rear fender the first day I rode it. I also found some wax residue on the passenger seat cover so I am assuming the scratches were from the dealer waxing it. Do yourself a favor and go pick up some 3M rubbing compound- I've used it for years, it is awesome stuff. One light buff (done by hand with microfiber towel) and scratches went bye bye.
Thanks! So rinse, wash, rub?

·
Registered
403 Posts
make sure she's clean and dry before you apply the rubbing compound and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
One of the first things I noticed about my bike is how easy it marks, Victory's clear coat is ****....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im no expert in cleaning cars but I have been doing it for a good 15 years and i am very particular on cleaning my autos. I clean my car at least twice a week, and I will most likely being doing the same with my new Vegas. So I will give you a few pointers. Microfiber is your friend, but it must be a higher quality microfiber, Tear off any tags before using it. I also use a microfiber washing mit, be very careful to not drop the microfiber as it will pick up just about any debris that it lands on...rocks..etc etc.
Imo this is something you can do to help your paint as long as you keep it up monthly. 1st rinse the the bike off with low pressure water, actually don't use a spray nozzle, let the sponge and soap remove the debris. Once you do an good rinse job put some soap in a bucket and start washing the bike, I do my autos in sections, don't let the soap dry and don't wash in the sun or when the paint is hot. As soon as you do one section rinse then move on to the next. once you you have it fully cleaned dont give it a chance to air dry. I use the Absorber but any kind of chamois or something like this will work. I don't recommend using terry towels to dry as they can put micro scratches in the clear. Now since you have scratches currently in the clear its most likely from picking up debris that is in the paint and it being caught in the mit or drying towel. Clay bar is your friends in removing the containment's from the clear coat, I have recently started using "Speedy Surface Prep Towel" this towel works like a clay bar but is much more efficient, its pricey but I love it and unlike the clay bar if you drop it it can still be used. Once you remove all containment's you will also remove any was on the surface. Next you will need to wax or if you have light scratches use a rubbing compound first then wax. I don't use a machine I always apply by hand, to remove the scratches though you need to create heat when rubbing the imperfections. They will either diminish or disappear (depending on the severity you may need a buffer) Once you apply and remove the compound you should wax, I use wax and hand glaze from a company called Clear Kote and they put out excellent results. Just make sure to always remove any wax residue once you have finished. Once you have done this and have gotten you paint or clear back on track just repeat it once a month, obviously still keep the bike clean though with normal washes. One thing make sure to get the abrasive brake dust off your wheels and paint weekly. Again im no expert but I have had numerous show cars and this process work for me, ill post some links below of some of what i use.

http://www.clearkote.com/index.php/waxes/moose-wax

http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-combo.html

The hand glaze is perfect for removing the light scratches.

http://www.clearkote.com/index.php/waxes/vanilla-moose-wax-hand-glaze

·
Registered
246 Posts
One of the first things I noticed about my bike is how easy it marks, Victory's clear coat is ****....

Most clear on anything new is **** imo, just have to take extra steps in keeping it protected. sucks but most manufacturers use the cheap stuff anymore.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im no expert in cleaning cars but I have been doing it for a good 15 years and i am very particular on cleaning my autos. I clean my car at least twice a week, and I will most likely being doing the same with my new Vegas. So I will give you a few pointers. Microfiber is your friend, but it must be a higher quality microfiber, Tear off any tags before using it. I also use a microfiber washing mit, be very careful to not drop the microfiber as it will pick up just about any debris that it lands on...rocks..etc etc.
Imo this is something you can do to help your paint as long as you keep it up monthly. 1st rinse the the bike off with low pressure water, actually don't use a spray nozzle, let the sponge and soap remove the debris. Once you do an good rinse job put some soap in a bucket and start washing the bike, I do my autos in sections, don't let the soap dry and don't wash in the sun or when the paint is hot. As soon as you do one section rinse then move on to the next. once you you have it fully cleaned dont give it a chance to air dry. I use the Absorber but any kind of chamois or something like this will work. I don't recommend using terry towels to dry as they can put micro scratches in the clear. Now since you have scratches currently in the clear its most likely from picking up debris that is in the paint and it being caught in the mit or drying towel. Clay bar is your friends in removing the containment's from the clear coat, I have recently started using "Speedy Surface Prep Towel" this towel works like a clay bar but is much more efficient, its pricey but I love it and unlike the clay bar if you drop it it can still be used. Once you remove all containment's you will also remove any was on the surface. Next you will need to wax or if you have light scratches use a rubbing compound first then wax. I don't use a machine I always apply by hand, to remove the scratches though you need to create heat when rubbing the imperfections. They will either diminish or disappear (depending on the severity you may need a buffer) Once you apply and remove the compound you should wax, I use wax and hand glaze from a company called Clear Kote and they put out excellent results. Just make sure to always remove any wax residue once you have finished. Once you have done this and have gotten you paint or clear back on track just repeat it once a month, obviously still keep the bike clean though with normal washes. One thing make sure to get the abrasive brake dust off your wheels and paint weekly. Again im no expert but I have had numerous show cars and this process work for me, ill post some links below of some of what i use.

http://www.clearkote.com/index.php/waxes/moose-wax

http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-combo.html

The hand glaze is perfect for removing the light scratches.

http://www.clearkote.com/index.php/waxes/vanilla-moose-wax-hand-glaze
Nice post, thx

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I use this. Makes those fine swirls and scratches disappear.

Microfiber towel sprayed until damp and wipe.

It would seem that whatever you're washing it with (rag/brush) is scratching it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use this. Makes those fine swirls and scratches disappear.

Microfiber towel sprayed until damp and wipe.

It would seem that whatever you're washing it with (rag/brush) is scratching it.
Damp victory microfiber towel lol

·
Premium Member
313 Posts

Ditto there. Something as common as Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover will work. Next time you wash your bike, add a coat of paint sealant/wax. It won't completely eliminate the problem, but it will help. Only wash with a microfiber sponge product and only dry with with micro fiber towels. Never use a plain cotton towel. Yes....the clear coat is soft. I noticed the same thing with mine the first time I washed it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
rattlecanning clear onto a brand new motorcycle? Don't think that's the best option available.. But it certainly is an option.

·
Registered
133 Posts
rattlecanning clear onto a brand new motorcycle? Don't think that's the best option available.. But it certainly is an option.
You jumped to a conclusion when you saw "Clear Coat". It's a detailer.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The darker the color, the more that those micro fine scratches will show.

Black is the absolute worst for showing itty bitty tiny microscopic scratches.

We can't air dry, as we have very hard water. So, we wash and then dry. Thread-bare 100% cotton t-shirts work well, or you can get some of those Griot's drying cloths at http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/car+care/car+drying.do
Wash with this stuff. Most excellent for an off-the-shelf soap

Someone else mentioned the Meguire's Ultimate Detailer. We also use that and are happy with the results.

GOOD microfiber cloths are your friend.
We simply wash/dry - and keep a good coat of wax on the bike..... and then only once a year detail the paint to remove the tiny scratches.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts