Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on how they have cleaned their bike in regard to the paint? I've never had a paint like this. The manual lists matte clear coat and a suede finish. Which one do we have? The non-polishing, scrubbing, etc... Part I get. That's a non issue. For one they say use dish soap and sponge, for the other they want you to buy Victory cleaning products.

What are you using on yours?

·
12,970 Posts
they make a special wax cleaner for mat finish.
In stead of dish soap I would go to auto store and get wash for autos it doesn't hurt your finish like dish soap

·
Registered
692 Posts
Dish soap works well, really any soap is ok. The paint is just like any other with a clear just a different sheen. Avoid any products that enhance the shine or any polishing compounds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I haven't even washed my suede finish yet ....:crzy: Dirty or clean it seems to look the same . One of the things I love about it !thumb up

·
Registered
692 Posts
Dish soap works well, really any soap is ok. The paint is just like any other with a clear just a different sheen. Avoid any products that enhance the shine or any polishing compounds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use WIZARDS Wipe Down Matte Finish Detailer I have never washed it just use this with a microfiber towel.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
How about remove the goo left behind from reflectors, badges, warning stickers? What is everyone using for that?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I usually just use thinner but it appears as though I have none so figured I would ask... Thanks Dustin. Bike looks a million times better now that I removed all that stuck on garbage!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought some suede paint wash from the chemical guys web site (I think that's the right name). I use that, and a mirco-fiber mitt to wash the bike. I then apply Victory suede paint protectant spray. The bike looks great after that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The old but not forgotten Honda spray cleaner and polish....
Now know as Original bike spirit's..thumb up
For sticker removal.. Goo-Gone...

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Sticky glue residue I use prepsol, always on hand as I have paint and bodywork shop.
An oldtimer told me about kerosene and warm water to feed the satin black on a 59 Chrysler I used to own.
Worked a treat!
Might be a bit cheap for those that like to spend money though.
Most dishwasing and carwash stuff contains salt!
I use exclusively 'Bowdens Own' Auto Wash Gel, on shiny stuff, it may only be available in OZ though, as its made here.
Contains no salt or other nasties other products contain.
So there ya have it kero n warm water, try it and let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I use WD40 for sticker goo removal , absolutey no chance of hurting the finish .... I use it on my motor too as an engine enhancer works awesome .thumb up

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeesh... Using dish soap goes against everything I have ever been taught- but I will not represent myself as an expert in modern coatings- I am not.

The logic was all the petroleum distillates in dish soap were "bad mmkay" for petroleum based paints and coatings.

However- this could be wildly different today with many manufacturers trashing what is known to WORK so they can fall all over themselves sucking up to the enviro-terrorists with eco friendly bullshit.

Either way- I know I am using something made for automotive paint, and I would also follow Vic's rider manual instructions for the suede finishes.

I get the WD40 and the goo gone, but THINNER!?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts