Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. I have been lurking the forums for a bit, soaking up on info on "improving" my 2011 XC. I appreciate all the knowledge that has previously been shared here. While the bike rides well, it could use a bit more excitement when I turn the loud handle :grin

I have watched the LLoydz videos on clearancing the carriers for the Touring cams, and can't seem to find a facing-mill arbor similar to the one they used. Im not opposed to using a different tool or technique, I'm just at a bit of a loss on what/how. Most of the arbors that have found have a flange on them that will potentially limit the depth of my side cut. Im not a "machinist" by any stretch of the imagination. Just a guy that likes playing in the garage :nerd

If someone has tackled this with a mini mill, Sieg X2D or similar, I would be interested to hear about the tooling used. I would probably take the carriers to a machine shop before I used a die grinder on them.

Cheers! cheerscheerscheers

videos referenced above are located here:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I do have a question for you. Why do you want the HPT cams? For the record, I have them and I'm very happy with them. I had a machine shop mill my carriers. But since then Lloyds has released the SC cams that were designed for the supercharger. You might look at those. I haven't looked at the graph in a while but I seem to recall wishing they had been available when I did my bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer your question, but I do have a question for you. Why do you want the HPT cams? For the record, I have them and I'm very happy with them. I had a machine shop mill my carriers. But since then Lloyds has released the SC cams that were designed for the supercharger. You might look at those. I haven't looked at the graph in a while but I seem to recall wishing they had been available when I did my bike.
Why, good sir? :grin for a couple of reasons. 1) Im coming off a background with much higher revving machines and spent the first couple of rides bouncing the 106 off its rev limiter. As far as I can tell the torque/hp curves form the reg DR cam and the tour cams are similar, with the tour giving a bit more at the top. For a few more dollars and a couple more turns of the wrench, i'll take the power option. 2) Because I can :devil

Im guessing the machinist charged you between 50 and 100 for their time and effort? Wise, and probably cheaper than the tooling that I would need.

I havent seen any of the info for the SC cams, but intuitively I would think that a naturally aspirated engine wouldn't do well with something designed for a supercharger. Im not a master tuner, nor have I done the research, so I dont have all the info to back up my intuition. A supercharged engine is not in my future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get the cams and clearanced carriers from Lloydz and just send your stock ones back...
Thats just too easy! I never have been one for doing things the easy way, Haha! More seriously, when I call them I'll ask about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey WR... I want them for a couple of reasons. :grin 1) Im coming off bikes that rev much higher and I'm a bit more used to the Higher RPM work. Its possible that will change over time. As far as I can tell, the Tour cams have approximately the same TQ/HP curves as the regular VM1 DR. That is, until the very end of the RPM range at which point the Tour cam gives a few more ponies. For a few extra dollars and a couple more turns of the wrench, I'll take the power option. Just a preference really. 2) :devil Because I can.

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I have not done any research on the SC cams. Intuitively, I'm inclined to think that a cam designed to operate with a supercharger isn't going to perform well in a naturally aspirated engine. I'm not an engine builder or master tuner by any stretch. If I get a few extra minutes to search around, I'll take a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I apologize for embedding the youtube videos... I was my intention on just having the links showing. I guess I'm not familiar enough with the forum software.

·
13,002 Posts
DBragg

looking ahead after you do the cams where or who is going to tune it. I have read out in your area there is no real qualified tuners.
I like the videos being a old machinist. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I prefer embedded videos, myself.
Then again, I prefer beds instead of videos....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DBragg

looking ahead after you do the cams where or who is going to tune it. I have read out in your area there is no real qualified tuners.
I like the videos being a old machinist. Good Luck
If I can get a map that will put me in the ballpark, I will either go the PCV/auto-tune option, or go with an AFR meter. Either way, there is a bit of DIY involved.

Let me pic your machinist brain... Can I get a keyway cutter than will plunge cut after making the side cut, as seen in the video?

You gents have incredible foresight. I'm still building my pile of parts and forming a strategy on getting the work done. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is the dyno comparison of the:

LSC - Blue
VM1-DR - Black
HPT - Red

The bikes represented here are all 106" Victory Cross Country with LLOYDZ timing gear @+6, LLOYDZ high flow intake, and Vance and Hines exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting that, its very interesting. Pretty persuasive actually. I wonder what the driveability difference is? For example, I ride a 300 KTM because it is softer in the low throttle openings/rpms than a comparable 450. Thus, a bit more controllable when things get nasty. While the Vic isnt exactly an offroad weapon, low speed manners on an 800lbs bike are a consideration.

I will click around and think on this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts