Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys I was out for maybe 5 min when I felt a big snap and realized right away what had happened. I have a Barnett steel cable but it still snapped sucks big time! So now I've decided to go hydraulic, I have the unit ordered up and will post pics of the install when it happens!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
What bike do you have...:)

·
12,984 Posts
Victory being cheap doesn't want to have a good life long clutch perch and lever.
You have to lube it often to prevent breakage

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey G,
I was wondering if you would do me a favor. When you get your stock clutch lever off, would you mind looking at the area where the cable attaches to the lever and tell me/fellow forum members et all if there are any edges or other types or irregularities there from the casting process? I ask this because one of the first things I did was pull my clutch lever and took a gander. I found several sharp casting edges/bumps/deformations which I immediately filed smooth. Wondering about these clutch cables breaking and why?:crzy:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Got 5,000 out of my first one. Up to 13,000 on the new and improved along with a Save-Ur-Ride cable in my saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Hey G,
I was wondering if you would do me a favor. When you get your stock clutch lever off, would you mind looking at the area where the cable attaches to the lever and tell me/fellow forum members et all if there are any edges or other types or irregularities there from the casting process? I ask this because one of the first things I did was pull my clutch lever and took a gander. I found several sharp casting edges/bumps/deformations which I immediately filed smooth. Wondering about these clutch cables breaking and why?:crzy:
Well according to that police vid on YouTube that I followed, regular cleaning and lubing of the cable ends is the key.
I used a moly cam lube on mine but would prefer moly grease when I can get hold of a small tube of it.

Was your cable ends cleaned and lubed every oil change?

My clutch is very heavy to pull in, a lot more than any other Vic clutch I've felt.
The cable is nice and free itself when I disconnect it to lube the ends so it must be inside the clutch itself.
Its a bit of a worry cos it must be hard on the cable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey G,
Will do Konga

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Will do Konga
Im in the market for a clutch lever after breaking the end off mine when the bike fell over a few weeks ago, Araldited the broken tip back on but it looks a bit daggy.
Wanna sell me your old lever?
hate to think what Vic wants for a new one here in Aust.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well boys I was out for maybe 5 min when I felt a big snap and realized right away what had happened. I have a Barnett steel cable but it still snapped sucks big time! So now I've decided to go hydraulic, I have the unit ordered up and will post pics of the install when it happens!
Did it snap at hand lever or at the bottom?

If it snapped at the bottom, hydraulic clutch may not fix it, it still uses a push rod/cable at bottom. Probably stronger though.

That said... I'm moving to Hydraulic too next week.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what do you do when you're riding and the cable snaps? Just hit the kill switch and coast to a stop? Has anyone had one break while waiting at a stop light? The thought of the cable breaking really freaks me out!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
So what do you do when you're riding and the cable snaps? Just hit the kill switch and coast to a stop? Has anyone had one break while waiting at a stop light? The thought of the cable breaking really freaks me out!
I had it happen approaching a red light on a 1981 Honda CB750 on a very busy street. It's an eye-opener for sure. I left it in 1st gear and used the brakes to slow me to a stop. When it was time to go again, just hit the starter and it will get you going. Then you have to 'speed shift' until you have to stop again. It was enough to get me home.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Its a challenge timing the traffic lights to avoid stopping,
clutchless upshifts arent a problem, the downshifts require rev matching and a bit of brutality, best to try and stay in a useful gear as long as possible, and a lot depends on where you are....
heavy city traffic and youre in trouble.
If you can pull enough of the broken cable up to the lever you may be able to secure it with a small hoseclamp to the actual lever...Ive had success with this before.
Dont panic...just keep riding and anticipate ahead as far as possible

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would a vice grip down on the lever work? Kinda like a jockey shift?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hitting the kill switch would possibly lock up the wheels. I just slowed down as much as possible and let the engine stall at low speed, then applied brakes simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Would a vice grip down on the lever work? Kinda like a jockey shift?
I daresay it may work, could be hard co-ordinating reaching down whilst stopping but possible

·
Registered
790 Posts
As others have said... get to the side of the road and use the brakes to stop/stall.

Forget the vise grips... use your cell phone and get a tow or some help. If your mechanically inclined carry the "save you ride" or go Hydraulic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My cable snapped going from 2nd to 3rd so coming to a stop was big time jerking and big clunking sounds...at first I thought wholly eff my cable snapped and I thought my rear tire lugs were coming out and hitting the swingarm the jerking was so bad...but it was just the clutch cable and I was freaking out :mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts