Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a measurement on the diameter of the clutch cable please? Just the inner cable so I can slide the new cable through the stock sleeving like the Sav-UR-Ride Clutch Repair Cable.

Mine broke on me yesterday and I managed to limp my girl home.
I work for an aerospace manufacturer and have access to all sorts of steel braided cables, bare and plasic coated so I figure I could save myself plenty of money by only needing to purchase cable stop clamps.

I figure the cable I can get is every bit as good if not better than what I can get as a stock replacement, a couple stops and an additional crimp clamp or 2 on the ends and for about 8 dollars I'm back in business.

Thanks

·
12,968 Posts
archaicguy

Show us what you come up with please

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome.... sure figured I could get a response by the end of the work day. Got plenty of that size cable in stock. Thanks

I will post what I end up with for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Awesome.... sure figured I could get a response by the end of the work day. Got plenty of that size cable in stock. Thanks

I will post what I end up with for sure.
Could be a market for em

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok problem fixed temporarily while I work up my design for a permanent fix, this setup should last a long time though and I will take it apart and check wear on it in a couple weeks.
Cable stops from autozone $3
Bolts from home depot $3
My total cost is $6 since I can use supplies from my work.
Here are some pics of the products and how I set it up.

The steel cable goes through the stop and is fastened down by the bolt and also added crimp sleeves to prevent and monitor any slippage of the cable and covered it with heat shrink tubing. More permanent and cleaner cable setup to come.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Good use of available resources! I'd like to see the new 'permanent' setup as well, when you have it done.
yeah me too and Id probably be up for buying one myself

·
Registered
522 Posts
If the ends prove more reliable than the stock cable I bet the cable itself lasts a long time. It appears to be braided bundles of wire, unlike the usual plain braided cable. I wonder if being a more coarse braid will increase drag and lever effort.

Tech23

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as a quick follow up........ I have never gotten around to working up a more permanent cable but this temporary one I made up is still working great so I've been in no rush at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your cable broke at the clutch lever, check real close that the cable is not flexing when the lever is fully pulled in. I had to use a file to dress my lever so it would not flex. I have been riding for a year and a half with my repaired cable with no problems.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
good info for sure, only 6,000 on my 13 Hammer so no cable issues but i remember replacing cables on other bikes with not a lot of miles on them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts