Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only put a couple tanks of gas through my recently acquired 2010 Cross Country so I'm really only still familiarizing myself with the personality of this machine. What I'm experiencing is a minor annoyance but one I haven't read much about so maybe it's not normal.

I only really notice this at low speeds maneuvers, when I release my clutch lever it is not smooth, kind of hesitates then releases more than I wanted, in a bit of a jump. I expected some kind of binding in the lever or the cable ends but after a thorough disassembly, cleaning and greasing of lever bushing and cable ends there's no fraying or obvious binding and the notchiness is still there.

I have read about people discovering that previous owners had greased inside the cable, which had hardened or collected grit over time and became stiff....this feels like that but it doesn't look that way from close inspection, cable seems clean where it enters the sheath, and to my recollection it slid in and out of the sheath easily while it was unhooked.

Next I checked the cable play and it was kind of tight so I added some relief to it. Currently it engages about half way out of it's full travel but the adjustment had no effect on the notchiness. I am beginning to think this is the normal action for this clutch setup. Does anyone else experience any grabbing or is some notching acceptable? By the way, bike has only 8k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
There are some cable lubes out there that have a needle type applicator, it uses a silicone type lube to get it down the sleeve and into the cable. Vic has some themselves, I would stay away from the grease type stuff and just use a actual cable style lube, I've also heard of guys taking the cable off the bike and actually soaking it over night in oil then letting it drip dry out. Ends can look just fine and clean, somewhere inside that sleeve could be a different story, go to grab the lever and snap the cable.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've only put a couple tanks of gas through my recently acquired 2010 Cross Country so I'm really only still familiarizing myself with the personality of this machine. What I'm experiencing is a minor annoyance but one I haven't read much about so maybe it's not normal.

I only really notice this at low speeds maneuvers, when I release my clutch lever it is not smooth, kind of hesitates then releases more than I wanted, in a bit of a jump. I expected some kind of binding in the lever or the cable ends but after a thorough disassembly, cleaning and greasing of lever bushing and cable ends there's no fraying or obvious binding and the notchiness is still there.

I have read about people discovering that previous owners had greased inside the cable, which had hardened or collected grit over time and became stiff....this feels like that but it doesn't look that way from close inspection, cable seems clean where it enters the sheath, and to my recollection it slid in and out of the sheath easily while it was unhooked.

Next I checked the cable play and it was kind of tight so I added some relief to it. Currently it engages about half way out of it's full travel but the adjustment had no effect on the notchiness. I am beginning to think this is the normal action for this clutch setup. Does anyone else experience any grabbing or is some notching acceptable? By the way, bike has only 8k miles on it.
My Hammer was like this after awhile. Check the little bushing that is in the clutch lever. Could be gummed up with dust/dirt debris. That cleared mine up. I think when you take it out your supposed to put some waterproof grease or white grease or something like that.

This video shows the process for checking that (the bushing)
https://youtu.be/7VL_dqo4eHo

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine did the same and it was grime in the bushing on the lever. Had been doing a lot of riding in dry dusty weather and got caught in the first heavy rain that coated the bike in a sludge from the roadway. It took a lot to sort that gunk out of everything and any part that moved had buildup on it.

·
Registered
482 Posts

PS this is not normal. Again check the bushing.

·
13,002 Posts
keep in mind the clutch has to be overnight cold when you adjust it.
Never warm or hot. No more than 1/8" cable play at lever

Did you unhook clutch arm down at primary and at lever and then with both hands pull on cable to see how it felt.

Maybe you should go and buy a new cable. Paulie could do a ship now so you could have it before weekend

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
You just need to clean and grease the ends. Make sure there is some free play, but not so much that it gets hard to shift. BTW, you need free play regardless of the temperature and time of day.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the replies guys - the bushing was thoroughly disassembled, cleaned and greased, and it is not the source of the bind. In addition, I remember that when the cable was detached from both ends it slid easily in and out of the sheath with no discernable drag. I will look for some cable lube and try that. If no change I suppose I could remove and soak the cable, or just replace it. Paulee how much would some lube or a replacement cable run, shipped to Cape Cod 02645? PM me if you'd rather. THX

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I installed an ez pull arm, and it makes the pull more even feeling. I to also thought that the clutch pull felt a bit odd, but I was coming off a hyd clutch bike so was not sure. As mentioned disconnect at engine and slide cable in and out see if the drag is notchy or smooth. WD 40 or really any "oil" probably is not a good choice as oil based stuff likes to collect dirty and gum up stuff. Cable lube should be silicone type lube I think now.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I get that notchy feel in the clutch usually just as i'm approaching time for my 5k mile oil change and cable-end lube.
Once I do the service, it goes back to its normal neanderthal heavy feel.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
If you watch the cable end at the engine as you slowly operate the clutch a few times the notchy thing is clearly visible. It needs grease where the cable barrel contacts the pinion (the thing that comes out of the engine).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Try this... Buy some Cable Life and one of those cable lube tools. Disconnect the cable at both ends. Wrap paper towels around the bottom end and the adjuster and secure with duct tape. Spray a generous amount of the cable life down the inside of the cable. Take 100PSI or better compressed air and blow any crap that is in the cable out. Repeat until what comes out is clean. Reassemble and test.

If it still feels like it has sand in it, time to replace the cable.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you watch the cable end at the engine as you slowly operate the clutch a few times the notchy thing is clearly visible. It needs grease where the cable barrel contacts the pinion (the thing that comes out of the engine).
Try this... Buy some Cable Life and one of those cable lube tools. Disconnect the cable at both ends. Wrap paper towels around the bottom end and the adjuster and secure with duct tape. Spray a generous amount of the cable life down the inside of the cable. Take 100PSI or better compressed air and blow any crap that is in the cable out. Repeat until what comes out is clean. Reassemble and test.

If it still feels like it has sand in it, time to replace the cable.
Great info. I'll check out the cable barrel where it enters the engine to see if there's any place to grease, but mainly will get some cabler-lube inside the cable. I looked at a few products on Amazon and noticed Victory actually sells one called "
" which got me to wondering if plain old 100% silicone spray wouldn't do the job - I already have a large spray can of that and if nobody stops me before the end of the day I might just do a test with that to see if I notice any difference :)
Silicone would be safe right, cause no harm?

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
That Vic lube is the stuff, just makes it a little nicer with the needle tip on the bottle, pretty sure I saw some of the same stuff at a hardware store once, cant remember the name but I saw the exact same bottle and I'm pretty sure it said silicone lube on it.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I hadn't heard of the new Victory silicone lube before now. I would think it would match up with the coating on the cable inside the sleeve. In the past KevinX recommended CableLife with the tool to inject it which is what I use. The notchy feeling would come back fairly quickly after lubing it but it did feel better. Like mention already; the EZ Pull clutch arm attachment is what fixed it completely on mine.

BTW; I lubed my cable a long time ago before learning we weren't supposed to lube them. I don't think I did any damage but I also don't think the product I used back then (Tri-Flow) helped much either. It does help on cables without the coating though.

·
13,002 Posts
you have to clean and inspect the handlebar lever and housing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the EZ Pull clutch arm attachment is what fixed it completely on mine.
Funny, as I said I am still getting familiar with my bike and thought I might already have an EZ pull arm but after your post I looked deeper into it and all my bike has is a nice looking chrome cover over the standard claw attachment - it is NOT a cantilevered extension like the EZ pull. So in addition to anything else that is definitely on my list now - NICE, an easy fix!

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Funny, as I said I am still getting familiar with my bike and thought I might already have an EZ pull arm but after your post I looked deeper into it and all my bike has is a nice looking chrome cover over the standard claw attachment - it is NOT a cantilevered extension like the EZ pull. So in addition to anything else that is definitely on my list now - NICE, an easy fix!
Make sure you're right on the ball with cleaning and in particular checking adjustment with an EZ pull, it's critical if you want your clutch to last.
I been running one for 30,000 miles, I service and check it every 2500 mile
Do that and there's no problem.
It's not set and forget!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts