Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best lube to use on our 2012 XR and Vegas Clutch Cables. Do you lube just the pivot points or to you lube the entire cable?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Just the pivots, the cable is sheathed in a nylon type coating and grease will cause it to deteriorate. Be certain to clean the pivots and sockets before re-lubing.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I use white lithium grease. BTW, the best and easiest way to release the cable is to rotate the pivot on top of the primary case. Do it with a channel lock type pliers.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Iv been using synthetic marine grease ...:)
That's what I'm using as well. A tube of it was 5 bucks at Tractor Supply. I suspect it'll be a damn near lifetime supply :wink

I use an acid brush to apply and keep it in a ziplock baggie rubber banded to the tube.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I use Moly camshaft assembly lube.
Vital to thoroughly clean the old crap off first of course.
Then as its been sitting overnight cold I check the adjustment and make sure its spot on.
I do mine twice as often as the suggests 5000 mile oil change interval, cos its so simple to do and I got extra peace of mind that my cables gonna last.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Moly or if it is in view i also use vasaline

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Moly or if it is in view i also use vasaline
It's not nice having IT in view. You can get into trouble doing that, you know. :eek

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm always looking for the best fluids & lubricants available-I prefer the TFE wax base dry lubes-they won't turn into a gritty dirt attracting grease ball & they're much easier & neater to apply. I'm trying out a new lube that I can't recommend yet but looks promising-it's a ceramic wax lube that has boron nitride "nano" particles instead of the TFE/Teflon particles, I've only tested it on two of my 1911's and some fishing reels with good results.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
You have a point there Spider, compounded by the fact that the moly camshaft lube I use is dark grey and the ARP assembly lube I also use is almost black.
They look dirty out the tube!
Both supreme lubricants and my regime of double service intervals gives me total peace of mind.
I can see where you are coming from though, thats why I use powdered graphite on locks and wince when I see people squirting WD40 into em.
Cable lube threads tend to have more variety than engine oil threads.
On our bikes, thoroughly cleaning off the old gunk is just as important as the actual lubing of the ends.
And correct adjustment means the clutch plates last as long as possible.
Im off for a ride soon, got a bloke coming over Friday to buy my 1990 GSXR750L project now shes a runner, so thatll allow me to feed more into my Victory addiction, fork emulators and sorting the rear brake are next on the list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at a Cross Country as my next bike. Currently on a Suzuki C90. Was at the dealer today and noticed the Victory uses a cable instead of hydraulic like my Suzuki. Why would Vic still use cables? I really like my hydraulic clutch.

Don't mean to hijack just figured this would be a good place to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Its cheaper to use a cable, nothing wrong with a well maintained cable clutch.
Had a Hydraulic clutch fail on a GPZ900R once. .

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
A lot of vics have stock a hydr. Clutch, but I'm happy i got a cable, i like a cable clutch

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I too have had hydraulic clutches fail, so I like the simplicity of a cable; less maintenance. Want a lighter pull? Install an E-Z Pull on the pivot. Don't let these guys obsessing over lubes scare you, its easy peasy to clean and lube the pivots with whatever lubricant you have on hand. I happen to have a tub of white lithium grease, so that's what I use. Not very scientific.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Don't let these guys obsessing over lubes scare you, its easy peasy to clean and lube the pivots with whatever lubricant you have on hand. I happen to have a tub of white lithium grease, so that's what I use. Not very scientific.
CORRECT, and please note, just do ""it"" when you change oil, that's good enough .... for my Vaseline, hahahahahah :devil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts