Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what it is?

I have a milk crate somewhere that is a jumble of busted and wore out clutch and throttle cables. Whenever I started hanging with Vic the complaints seem to have more frequency. Cruiser riders don't usually whine about cables snapping... much. Acceptable risk, I guess. The answer for me has always been Barnetts, but I got busted Barnetts in that crate too.

What has Pop learned from reading?
Apparently the failure rate is a little steep for Vic riders. Is that because the cables fail more or because the rider tends to have a lower threshold of acceptance?
Commit a sliver of saddlebag space to carrying around a Save-Ur-Ride temp cable. I assume that this fix is about not tearing the tank off and whatnot on the side of the road. Otherwise why not just carry a new cable which has been my modus operandi previously?
So then say I let my paranoid urges get the best of me and I have this temporary fix tucked away and I bought a Barnett to hang on a hook for when the inevitable happens. I'm in for better than 150 bucks now. That's half of a hydraulic clutch that would more or less eliminate my concerns. Seems like basic math to Pop. Go hydraulic right out of the gate.
Unless... this is overblown? The instances of failure are not significant.
Or... as has been reported, Victory stepped up somewhere along the line and improved the cable. I'm not from Missouri but close enough that you would have to show me a manufacturer going the distance to take a common part and beefing it up, but maybe.
So if the cable is new and improved, are failure reports less? Do those reports come from pre- updated cable riders?
What! Me worry?

·
Registered
220 Posts
For what its worth, mine went on my '08 Jackpot with something between 7500-8000 miles on it. It was the original cable and clearly the older one. Dealer installed a new cable with the updates to the barrel ends so it is less likely to fail (according to Victory and the dealer anyway). I only have about 2000 miles on the new cable so I can't really compare yet. I'm hoping for the best, but like you I purchased a save-ur-ride because Laconia is coming up and I don't feel like being stranded just in case of a premature (in my opinion) failure again.

By comparison my father is riding my old bike now ('04 shadow 1100) and it has the original clutch cable still at nearly 15K miles. Our 1980 Suzuki GS850L has the original cable still with 26K miles on it and look how old that one is!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
For what its worth, mine went on my '08 Jackpot with something between 7500-8000 miles on it.
For whatever reason, the failures I read about seem to always happen on the cruiser models. Can't remember anyone citing this as an issue with the X bikes.

I wonder if it has something to do with changing the bars or bar angles.

Pretty much every Jap/Euro bike I've owned had a hydraulic clutch, not sure why the American companies want to cheap out on that. In any case, the one recent Japanese machine I had with a clutch cable, snapped. Truth be told, it was giving me all kinds warnings I just chose to ignore as it was defraying itself while still under warranty.

I changed the bars on that bike. :eek:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So, what it is?

I have a milk crate somewhere that is a jumble of busted and wore out clutch and throttle cables. Whenever I started hanging with Vic the complaints seem to have more frequency. Cruiser riders don't usually whine about cables snapping... much. Acceptable risk, I guess. The answer for me has always been Barnetts, but I got busted Barnetts in that crate too.

What has Pop learned from reading?
Apparently the failure rate is a little steep for Vic riders. Is that because the cables fail more or because the rider tends to have a lower threshold of acceptance?
Commit a sliver of saddlebag space to carrying around a Save-Ur-Ride temp cable. I assume that this fix is about not tearing the tank off and whatnot on the side of the road. Otherwise why not just carry a new cable which has been my modus operandi previously?
So then say I let my paranoid urges get the best of me and I have this temporary fix tucked away and I bought a Barnett to hang on a hook for when the inevitable happens. I'm in for better than 150 bucks now. That's half of a hydraulic clutch that would more or less eliminate my concerns. Seems like basic math to Pop. Go hydraulic right out of the gate.
Unless... this is overblown? The instances of failure are not significant.
Or... as has been reported, Victory stepped up somewhere along the line and improved the cable. I'm not from Missouri but close enough that you would have to show me a manufacturer going the distance to take a common part and beefing it up, but maybe.
So if the cable is new and improved, are failure reports less? Do those reports come from pre- updated cable riders?
What! Me worry?
My OPINION and that is all it is, would be that for the most part routine inspection and lube of the cable will allow the cable to achieve its expected life with is NOT 5K or so. I absolutely am not saying anyone did anything wrong that caused it or that there is not a problem. I will say what I have done on my 04 after my 1st break at 22K. I now have 39K+ so 17000 on the cable as a daily commuter up until last october. I do the following and show NO signs of wear at either end of the cable:

During oil change (3500) shoot liquid wrench teflon lube in handle and down cable as well as on the engine side. If I get pounded with rain or feel handle get a little gritty feeling. Lube again.

During every other oil change (6-7K) loosen handle, clean and inspect handle for any burs I may have missed or sharp edge. I found this when my 1st and only cable snapped. Filed down the valley end of the handle and inspected the barrel. Ensure good coat of teflon grease put in and reconnect the cable and install the handle.

The freying and point of departure on my cable was due it appeared to the barrel not allowing the cable end to rotate as the clutch handle was pulled in. I still plan on pickingup a SafeUrRide but havent yet. As I pointed out, 17K and not a single frey or sign of wear. Is the cable now days made better or is the preventive maintenance doing the trick. Unsure but I am fairly confident now on any length of ride. Again, not saying there wasnt/isnt a problem, just saying what I do. Just lubed up and inspected the cable end on my VV too and it does have the hyd clutch on the handle. Hope this helps

Tim

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm not much of a "wrench", but like to learn and do my own stuff where I can. Fellow forum member and local riding buddy, Half_Crazy came over to my place last night and "taught" me how to do the lube job on my clutch cable. So, with that and the save UR ride cable in my bag, I feel confident about my Saddle Sore coming up in June.
After the lesson, we relaxed on the deck with an adult beverage, swapped some stories, had a big thunderstorm move though and he made friends with my mutt of a dog. It was a good night. thumb up
Thanks, buddy! cheers

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm not much of a "wrench", but like to learn and do my own stuff where I can. Fellow forum member and local riding buddy, Half_Crazy came over to my place last night and "taught" me how to do the lube job on my clutch cable. So, with that and the save UR ride cable in my bag, I feel confident about my Saddle Sore coming up in June.
After the lesson, we relaxed on the deck with an adult beverage, swapped some stories, had a big thunderstorm move though and he made friends with my mutt of a dog. It was a good night. thumb up
Thanks, buddy! cheers
Any time, Craig, I'm right up the street here. Thank you for the assorted deer sausage care package I took home, and the adult beverages, and for letting me play with your dog since I don't have one of my own, and for my first ever ride on a Cross bike.

As to the original question, I have never experienced a clutch cable failure on this Victory motorcycle in 6 years and 70-some-odd-thousand miles.

·
13,231 Posts
Face it lazy ass Victory takes the cheap ass way out.
They should go to a eyelet cable like harley has and there would be no problem.
You wait some one will half to die (hope not) and Victory get there ass sued off before they do something.

Every time a clutch cable breaks the Highway Safety should be told. Maybe then a recall

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You wait some one will half to die (hope not) and Victory get there ass sued off before they do something.

Every time a clutch cable breaks the Highway Safety should be told. Maybe then a recall
How many cables have you gone through on Vics VJ? That's my concern. Are they really shite? Where is some hard numbers or a long history of misery?

There's more than 1 thing that could be beefier on these things. Is clutch cables the right place to focus?

Pop got less than 5 on the clock. My cable meets spec. If it frags I will be reporting that like others on here do. If OTOH it doesn't, I will not be reporting that it is still in spec unless somebody asks like HC did for my ?.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I first bought my XR, I was concerned about the failed cables. I decided to stop reading and see if I could understand why it happens. What I discovered was not the same concern as others. I understand the cable typically breaks at the trans arm however I found a sharp edge at the clutch lever arm. I oped to take out a file and round the edge off and left it at that. I do have the save ur ride cable in the bag, just in case.

I have 22K on my clock.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
They should go to a eyelet cable like harley
Better yet, they should not take the cheap way out ala Harley and instead give us a hydraulic clutch like every other mfg provides on its top of the line products.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too have had my clutch cable break at a very low mile marker. Even the new cable doesn't feel right. I really would prefer a hydrolic clutch if I could find one actually made for the Kingpin.

·
13,231 Posts
Go to facbook and on the Victory page tell them how oftten your cable breaks.
You have nothing to loose

·
Registered
837 Posts
For whatever reason, the failures I read about seem to always happen on the cruiser models. Can't remember anyone citing this as an issue with the X bikes.

I wonder if it has something to do with changing the bars or bar angles.

Pretty much every Jap/Euro bike I've owned had a hydraulic clutch, not sure why the American companies want to cheap out on that. In any case, the one recent Japanese machine I had with a clutch cable, snapped. Truth be told, it was giving me all kinds warnings I just chose to ignore as it was defraying itself while still under warranty.

I changed the bars on that bike. :eek:
As the sudden owner of a Kingpin (until I can sell it) and XR, I can tell tell you that the X bike clutch requires about 25% of the effort to pull as compared to the Pin. Te X is a 2012 with 1200 miles and the Pin is a 2011 with 3600 miles. Is it the same clutch. I know they have a different route for the cable.

BTW Pop, where did you purchase your dictionary? :ltr:

·
Registered
329 Posts

Heh.... The 50+ Harley riders I ride with have all had theirs snap more than once....

Just sayin'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts