Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a clutch chatter? Here's a scenario I can duplicate this clutch chatter every time. Take off in first pull in the clutch like you are ready to shift to second but then you have to slow down instead, release the clutch smoothly and as soon as the clutch starts to grab it rattles, you can hear and feel it, almost sounds like skipping splines or gears but i know it's not. My clutch seems to be engaging just fine and seems to be adjusted well by feel. It is fully disengaging and fully engaging no problem and doesn't slip. It's a strange thing I've never experienced. Its like as the clutch is trying to catch up the the wheel speed it is skipping like it's slip/sticking super fast. Sounds like a box of marbles until the speeds match and its fully engaged. I can avoid it by rev matching but that doesn't fix if there's a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Subscribed with intrest ..

Could it be a loose spring or bearing ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Has anyone had a clutch chatter? Here's a scenario I can duplicate this clutch chatter every time. Take off in first pull in the clutch like you are ready to shift to second but then you have to slow down instead, release the clutch smoothly and as soon as the clutch starts to grab it rattles, you can hear and feel it, almost sounds like skipping splines or gears but i know it's not. My clutch seems to be engaging just fine and seems to be adjusted well by feel. It is fully disengaging and fully engaging no problem and doesn't slip. It's a strange thing I've never experienced. Its like as the clutch is trying to catch up the the wheel speed it is skipping like it's slip/sticking super fast. Sounds like a box of marbles until the speeds match and its fully engaged. I can avoid it by rev matching but that doesn't fix if there's a problem.
Just release the clutch. That sound is the gears trying to engage.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My clutch does it too. Has for as long as I remember. I don't gradually clutch like that. Almost 43,000 miles now...

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
My clutch does it too. Has for as long as I remember. I don't gradually clutch like that. Almost 43,000 miles now...
My clutch lever is held in for an absolute minimum.;.;.I just fan it enough for the lightly preloaded shift lever to shift.
If coasting to a stop at the lights I snick it into neutral asap.
Sure if I played around and teased it I could get all sorts of strange noise.
got better things to do,... like ride
81,000 miles...19000 on the new gears (thanks mutt!):smile

·
13,002 Posts
Redrider2

Shame on you. You don't say what year or model bike you have. So if your clutch is adjusted properly. I would say it could be the compensating sprocket. Your going to have to look in primary to find out

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts