Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an age old question....
Do you always shift to Neutral at a traffic light or do you wait with the clutch pulled?

I'm about 50/50 but it seems there are 2 schools of thought.
1.) Keeping the clutch pulled is harder on the cable due to the constant strain.
2.) Shifting to neutral requires 2 clutch pulls leading to more wear to the cable.

What do you do???

·
Registered
779 Posts
There is also a safety issue at hand here.

You SHOULD stay in 1st gear with clutch in. The idea being that you are better prepared to get out of the way if some moron in a cage is about to plow into you because they are playing on their phone.

That said- my clutch is a motherfu*&er so I compromise by being at the ready until I have a stopped car behind me, or it's obvious that they will be stopping. I will then usually go to neutral and relax a moment. Also- position yourself to book it in between cars, or whatever clear lane you have in case of the worst happening.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I always put it in neutral with the clutch out. I had a friend who chastised me until he thought someone wasn't slowing down quick enough behind him so he pulled out into oncoming cross traffic and it nearly killed him.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find I more or less tend to do like Judge Redd but I was thinking about this and having owned several sport cars I know it was always hard on the throwout bearing to keep the clutch engaged at a long light so I got in the habit of going to neutral after the car behind me stopped. I found myself doing similar on my bikes and the other day it got me to thinking about the whole situation so I thought I would get the opinions here since Clutch cables are a known issue.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm no scientist but I see the wearing of cable to be more by motion of it rubbing against the sleeve and whatever else than simply by holding tension.

Always in gear with clutch held other than occasionally giving hand a break at long lights since I do commute in city traffic.

·
12,970 Posts
you do put more heat into the throwout bearing. That will cost more then a cable. If you have a good cable your not putting strain on it.
Lube the cable ends is the key

·
Registered
533 Posts

You SHOULD stay in 1st gear with clutch in. The idea being that you are better prepared to get out of the way if some moron in a cage is about to plow into you because they are playing on their phone...
^This.

The wear and cost of an occasional cable is far outweighed by the safety factor.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Typically I'm a neutral person. If I'm first in line more apt to leave in gear. Some jack ass is playing on phone coming to light, chances are you aint gonna see it until they ass pack cars behind had and you hear glass smashing.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I agree with both schools of thought,
though a well maIntained cable will go thr distance..Clean and moly lube the ends.
My Vegas has heavy clutch so depending on circumstances Ill generally slip into neutral as I stop...depending on circumstances...
note I repeated that.
Im try to position myself so Im not boxed in.
Generally I lane split the stationary cars so my arse is covered.
akso Ill slow approaching lights so they may change to green before I get there.
All comes from a lifetime of surviving out there on 2 wheels and also 4.
tricks to surviving on 2 can be applied to 4.
or 3 in @RICZ case🙂
Roadcraft....survival
no hard n fast rule except expect them to do the wrong thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Side note- the breaking clutch cables pretty much went away right around the transition to MY 2013. I'm not saying that there was zero occurrences- but the overwhelming majority of cable issues occurred on MY 2012 and older.

Obviously Polanus was aware of the problem. True to their form- they refused to acknowledge it, then fixed it quietly so as not to risk being held liable for a larger scale defect.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Technically speaking a clutch is 'engaged' when the lever is let go of and the plates all clamp together and cause the bike to drive.
Pulling in the lever 'disengages' the clutch as in separating the plates.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Technically speaking a clutch is 'engaged' when the lever is let go of and the plates all clamp together and cause the bike to drive.
Pulling in the lever 'disengages' the clutch as in separating the plates.
I originally thought about writing it that way but it seemed counter intuitive to what I was trying to describe. I guess the better way would have been to state:

To be in gear, or not to be in gear: that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous cable failures,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles by opposing to end them?

·
Registered
530 Posts

You SHOULD stay in 1st gear with clutch in. The idea being that you are better prepared to get out of the way if some moron in a cage is about to plow into you because they are playing on their phone.

That said- my clutch is a motherfu*&er so I compromise by being at the ready until I have a stopped car behind me, or it's obvious that they will be stopping. I will then usually go to neutral and relax a moment. Also- position yourself to book it in between cars, or whatever clear lane you have in case of the worst happening.
+1 thumb up . i have had way too many close calls to leave the bike in neutral without some sort of barrier behind me. keep your head on a swivel because when i come to a stop, i am always checking my mirrors behind me for soccer mom or the cell phone holding zombie too busy with facebook or instagram and making duck faces while they drive to see a stopped bike. been keeping my bike in first at intersections/lights for better than 25 years and i don't see it changing in the next 25 years (so long as i can still ride by the grace of god)...
Do we have any MSF coaches in the house who can chime in? I am curious to see what they recommend.....

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I'll hold in the clutch for a red light or if a cop is directing traffic. If it's an extended period, then I'll shift into N or even shut the bike down until traffic moves again.
Keeping the bike in gear gives you an extra helping of get-the-hell-out-of-there when you need it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Side note- the breaking clutch cables pretty much went away right around the transition to MY 2013. I'm not saying that there was zero occurrences- but the overwhelming majority of cable issues occurred on MY 2012 and older.

Obviously Polanus was aware of the problem. True to their form- they refused to acknowledge it, then fixed it quietly so as not to risk being held liable for a larger scale defect.
So my 2012 might just suddenly leave me stuck then? Don't like that thought. I do have a Barnett cable but it's not installed just at the house.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hold clutch lever in while holding firm grip on front brake.

Watched a guys clutch cable break at a stop light, threw him off the bike and bike went into intersection.

If clutch is adjusted correctly and you are pulling it all the way back no damage is done to plates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It depends. Some suggest that it is safer to leave it in gear at a traffic lite in case you are hit from behind by another vehicle. I generally shift down to 1st gear and hold in the clutch lever unless I know it is going to be a long wait [like having to wait for a train to pass], then I may put it in neutral and just hold bike by front brake lever. Also it depends on how strong the clutch spring is. I have had bikes [a Honda 1300 VTX] where your hand will get tired if you hold the clutch in too long, but my present bike, a Judge, has a weaker clutch spring so I can hold it in for prolonged periods.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts