Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of a new to me 16 High Ball. The clutch engagement is almost immediately off the handlebar when letting the clutch out. I'd like to adjust it so the friction point/engagement is closer to about half way out on the lever. How do I adjust the friction point? I have about an 1/8" free play when the clutch is out now if that helps.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
You are at recommended free play. You are in correct adjustment I would leave it alone. You will get use to it in a short time. Your clutch will never be fully disengaged at the adjustment you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response NAB. It actually seems the opposite to me the way it is now. If I start it in gear with the clutch in the bike will want to move forward like the clutch isn't fully disengaged.
The bike/brand is new to me so perhaps this is normal and I'll get used to it. Just thought I'd ask.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I think what you are filling is the torque of the motor when you first start it. Mine does that but once it is running with clutch pulled all the way in it doesn't move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the Vic experience too, but as others have said, your clutch is okay. Re: the slight movement starting the bike in gear - every single wet clutch bike I have owned has done the same thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took her out for the maiden voyage last night and as NAB said I got used to the engagement point in no time at all. All is well.

Although and not to highjack my own thread, I had one strange thing happen. I was rolling up to a red light and the bike just stalled. The speedo read "lo oil" as it does when the key is first turned on. I turned the key off and then on again, the oil message disappeared right away and it fired right up with no oil message or check engine light??

Maybe I hit the red shut down switch by accident, I don't know but it was fine for the rest of my short ride.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,977 Posts
Maybe you should check the oil?!?

Warm engine, check upright level, not on side stand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil level is fine, first thing I did when I took delivery Saturday. Used the method described.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Took her out for the maiden voyage last night and as NAB said I got used to the engagement point in no time at all. All is well.

Although and not to highjack my own thread, I had one strange thing happen. I was rolling up to a red light and the bike just stalled. The speedo read "lo oil" as it does when the key is first turned on. I turned the key off and then on again, the oil message disappeared right away and it fired right up with no oil message or check engine light??

Maybe I hit the red shut down switch by accident, I don't know but it was fine for the rest of my short ride.
You just discovered the closed throttle fuel injection cut-off bit in the ECU. To reduce emissions, the fuel is not injected on sharp closed throttle deceleration. Mostly it won't stall it, but will transition to the idling speed fuel flow, but sometimes it will stall, then stop completely as you pull in the clutch. The Lo oil warning is telling you you have no oil pressure, hey the motor is stopped so it's right. Just hit the start button and it will fire up OK, particularly if you hold the throttle a little bit open. It's always annoying and possibly sometimes dangerous, but it's built in. It can be tuned out by an ECU remap, or a piggyback tuner. Nice looking bike, mine is the one before yours in the Show off your High Ball thread.

• Sad
Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What the difference between the ECU remap and the piggyback tuner. One is permanent and the other not?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What the difference between the ECU remap and the piggyback tuner. One is permanent and the other not?
ECU remap, say by a Maximus tune, is done inside the bikes existing ECU, and is in there until it is changed. A piggyback unit, like a Power Commander, is an extra bit of hardware that changes the ECU output. It can be removed and the ECU output reverts to its original settings. Either can work well, particularly if they are adjusted during a session on a dyno. You will find a lot of discussion on here and the other place about the relative merits of each method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts