Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victory XC. I just finished putting 30k miles on it. Got an issue I've never had at of any of my bikes. Running down the highway in six gear. go to pass a car. when you twist the throttle the display will show you going to 5th gear. RPM's jump up by a 1000 + then slowly go back down. Sometimes it will even show it going to 4th gear on the display. if I roll slowly on throttle it doesn't happen. Issue only happens in higher gears and only once bike is warmed up. When bike is cold it doesn't do it. Bike never physically comes out of gear. I'm lost on this one. Anybody have any ideas before I take it to shop? Is it a clutch issue or could the computer be doing it? I"m original owner and have always taken good care of it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
sounds like a slipping clutch. i'm assuming vics have an adjustment at the pack, and it needs adjusting. just adjusting the cable probably won't help. if there is no adjustment on the pack the discs are probably shot.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
I had thought it was clutches also just have never had a bike wear out that fast.
Make sure the clutch cable is routed in its normal position, not hung behind something or obstructed in any way. If that's clear, move on to checking clutch free-play per owners manual.

If those check out fine, try holding the front brake engaged, and slowly release the clutch in 1st gear. See if you can get it to slip in 1st, when torque is the highest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's the first thing I did. checked all the cables. free play everything is good. and it only happens in the higher gears lower gears are fine.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
that's the first thing I did. checked all the cables. free play everything is good. and it only happens in the higher gears lower gears are fine.
By the way, not to start an oil thread here, but what oil do you use? And how many miles did you log since last oil change?

Also, when you checked the free play in clutch cable, was it 1/8th of an inch? Did you check it when the bike was cold?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Your clutch is worn out. Just out of curiosity, what oil do you use?

When you do replace the plates/fibers, don't forget to consider a Barnett replacement, it's about one third the cost of the Victory clutch pack.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your clutch is worn out. Just out of curiosity, what oil do you use?

When you do replace the plates/fibers, don't forget to consider a Barnett replacement, it's about one third the cost of the Victory clutch pack.
do the vics not have an adjustment on the pack? if it was a hd i would know exactly how to adjust it but, but im new to vic and there is virtually no info about them out there.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
See below (or owners manual) and always adjust when cold.
clutch.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
no i'm not talking about cable adjustment. on the hd's there is a clutch pack adjustment totally indendendant of the cable. if it isn't right the cable adjustment doesn't matter. i would think the vics have some kind of adjustment on the clutch pack too, but don't know

·
13,177 Posts
what year is the bike

Are you running vic oil

agjust the cluch cable

check lever see if there is nothing binding at the lever lube the cable inside the housing where the piviot is on the cable

before you open the primary make sure dealer has gasket most don't have them in stock.

look for BBOB here he has a service manual you can down load to your computer

·
Registered
470 Posts
does anybody here know if there is an adjustment on the clutch, or just the cable? im used to something with an adjustment on the clutch basket completely separate of the cable,

·
13,177 Posts
silly as this sounds check battery cabls and ECM plug in you just never know

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
does anybody here know if there is an adjustment on the clutch, or just the cable? im used to something with an adjustment on the clutch basket completely separate of the cable,
I don't know, but the service manual does not talk about any other adjustment. End of Chapter 9 deals with the clutch in the 2011 XR/XC service manual. Based on that, it might be safe to assume that the only adjustment we can make is the cable adjustment.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't know, but the service manual does not talk about any other adjustment. End of Chapter 9 deals with the clutch in the 2011 XR/XC service manual. Based on that, it might be safe to assume that the only adjustment we can make is the cable adjustment.
the hd's have a set screw with a lock nut on the outside end of the clutch basket outside of the pressure plate, if it isn't set right the cable adjustment doesn't matter. i can't find anything to show clearly how the actual clutch movement is confined on a vic. there has to be some kind of movement stop at the clutch, but it wouldn't HAVE to have adjustment, just looks like it should. thats one thing about going from hd's i know inside out to something i know nothing about that worries me. guess i will learn.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
It seems like the what kind of OIL are you using question is being ignored:):rolleyes:
Yeeep! It does seem that way. :D It's only been asked about 5 times, by 5 different users. Either that, either the original poster figured it out and left us hanging.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It seems like the what kind of OIL are you using question is being ignored:):rolleyes:
i wouldn't think it would matter a whole lot as long as it is the correct type and weight and changed regular. i would be interested in knowing what he ran though. someone that rides the clutch a lot could easily burn one up in 30,000 though. or it could be just a bad unit from the start or too weak springs or on and on.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
i wouldn't think it would matter a whole lot as long as it is the correct type and weight and changed regular. i would be interested in knowing what he ran though. someone that rides the clutch a lot could easily burn one up in 30,000 though. or it could be just a bad unit from the start or too weak springs or on and on.
You're right, but quite a few clutch slippage issues have been successfully fixed by going from some type of full synthetic back to Vic oil. Lubrication is great until you have too much slippage. :D

Oh no, where's this thread going?! Not to the oil threads collection, is it? :ltr:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts