Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2014 CCT into the dealership yesterday and they opened the side case to discover a totally destroyed clutch. This has me totally baffled. I've been riding street bikes since 1969, only once in all my years had a clutch problem and I've had bikes where I've put well over 60k with no problem. I've got just over 2k on this bike.

The parts are on backorder which means the bike will be down at least until 6/18. They did order as a bike down status.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Is the replacement going to be done under warrantee?
So far there's no indication that it won't. Based on the fact the bike has just over 2k on it and the amount of damage I'd think they would say something failed and didn't wear. To get that much damage something had to go bad. I'm not that rough on my bikes...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
WTF !!! This does not instill large quantities of reliability in my mind . Hope this is a one time failure in this instance ... Sorry this happened to you .:(

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I hope no metal chips F**ked up the insides of your motor ....

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
WTF !!! This does not instill large quantities of reliability in my mind . Hope this is a one time failure in this instance ... Sorry this happened to you .
I tend not to take it to that extreme. Yes, that looks like catastrophic failure, but this is also the first time I've seen or heard of it. If it was chronic, I think we would have seen more examples of it. Fear not!

However, I hope this gets resolved quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I tend not to take it to that extreme. Yes, that looks like catastrophic failure, but this is also the first time I've seen or heard of it. If it was chronic, I think we would have seen more examples of it. Fear not!

However, I hope this gets resolved quickly.
I agree , not many catastrophic disasters but I have heard many on this forum and my friend Booty that have low mileage Vic's and the clutches are FRIED . This just seems to be a weak link IMO . On the other hand maybe I have my head up my ass ... You guys decide .:D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Clutches never seemed to cross my mind over all the years and bikes I've had. Then with my '87 & '06 Ventures I had to do work on them due to slipping. And now hearing of this ... makes me wonder about the quality these days compared to past.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree , not many catastrophic disasters but I have heard many on this forum and my friend Booty that have low mileage Vic's and the clutches are FRIED . This just seems to be a weak link IMO . On the other hand maybe I have my head up my ass ... You guys decide .:D
I'm just hoping it's a one off incident. I've only had to deal with a worn clutch but noting like this over the years...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Good luck with your repair Brother .

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I took those pics for V-Twin, so I saw the damage first hand and spoke with the service manager about it. He said this is a first for him (he's been there as long as I have been a customer; 5+ years) and it looks to me like a flawed aluminum casting. Maybe a cold shot.

·
13,177 Posts
You should have dealer pull compensator and stator along with clutch hub and make sure there are no parts or anything caught behind them.
Then every 100 miles for 500 miles I would change the oil filter.
Even cut them open and see if there catching any parts or metal.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If this were me , TRADE in TIME ! Just give me another bike , and where do I sign ...;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should have dealer pull compensator and stator along with clutch hub and make sure there are no parts or anything caught behind them.
Then every 100 miles for 500 miles I would change the oil filter.
Even cut them open and see if there catching any parts or metal.

Good Luck
They said there wasn't any metal that would get into the oil stream but I'll be changing the oil as soon as the bike is home. And probably a couple other times in a short period of time...

·
Registered
611 Posts
That's one helluva failure. Definitely appears to be a bad casting. That COULD mean that there is a bad batch of those parts out in the wild or it could mean that the first (or last) part off that run was done badly (cold shot as mentioned earlier). Either way, there's 8 pieces that broke off and 8 big pieces of metal that were recovered. Unless there is visible damage to other parts or noticeable amounts of material missing from those big chunks I wouldn't get all gloom and doom about your engine. I'm assuming the oil has been drained to get that far into it so if it were me, after the repair is done I'd ride it home, change the oil, then do another change at 500 and 1000 miles after the repair. Check what's draining and cut open the filters just to make sure but if you don't see anything major coming out there's nothing to worry about. Bear in mind that with only 2k on the clock you are very likely to see metal in the oil anyway so don't panic if you still see some at your 3k (total) mile change. As long as the size and quantity appears to be shrinking you're good to go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When the bike was stock I had an issue with the clutch. While accelerating (above 4k rpm) the bike dropped one gear without me touching the clutch. Not sure it could be linked. No issues after so far. I think it happened in 4th gear, it dropped to the 3rd gear.

My guess is that the bike was a bit too cold, it was after 2/3 miles or something like that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When the bike was stock I had an issue with the clutch. While accelerating (above 4k rpm) the bike dropped one gear without me touching the clutch. Not sure it could be linked. No issues after so far. I think it happened in 4th gear, it dropped to the 3rd gear.

My guess is that the bike was a bit too cold, it was after 2/3 miles or something like that.
No issues like you describe. The bike had been riding like a dream until the one pull of the clutch to downshift from 4th into 3rd gear. I will be doing an oil change asap and probably a second one within 1k just to make sure I'm not seeing any large chunks of metal...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts