Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a two weeks or so ago when I had the bike out that while riding down the road just cruising the gear indicator would have the dashed line like when the clutch is pulled in. Didn't notice any slipping or anything else acting up. Thought it was just a fluke thing. Had the bike out again a couple days later and all seemed normal then again a couple days after that and it was doing it again.

Checked the tension on the clutch cable and it is within spec. No slipping on the clutch even when i really roll onto the throttle.

I noticed today that with the clutch pulled in the bike would not start unless it was in neutral.

Any ideas or comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There is a small blade switch on the underside of the lever at the pivot, its probably out of place.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah, switch misaligned or wire came off.

Note that the Vic gear indicator isn't a real sensor. It calculates the gear by noting the speedo and RPMs, and for that to work the clutch must be engaged (or the RPMs won't compute to anything).

By contrast, my buddy's BMW has a real gear-position sensor. You can pull in the clutch lever, keep it held in, and while coasting along click up and down on the shifter. While you're doing that, the gear position readout will change along with your foot movements. Vics won't do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
my buddy's BMW has a real gear-position sensor. You can pull in the clutch lever, keep it held in, and while coasting along click up and down on the shifter. While you're doing that, the gear position readout will change along with your foot movements. Vics won't do that.
My Cavalcade was the same way. Sensor read the gear position, it wasn't a calculated value.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the blade part and tried to move it around with the same issues occurring.

Switch completely bad or the plug ?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Or that switch went bad. Mine did. About $60 at the dealer for a new one and 5 minutes to replace it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts