Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball with about 20k miles on it. I took it on a trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver and back. It held up great the entire trip until the way back the clutch started slipping. I was able to squeeze just enough life out of the clutch with a cable adjustment to make it back home.

Took the bike to a shop and got the clutch replaced. Got the bike back and I guess some time from the ride back from the shop to my house the shift shaft seal popped out and I didn't notice until the next morning when I saw a giant puddle of oil under my bike. The shop picked up the bike and fixed the issue by putting in a new metal/rubber seal that was not completely rubber like the stock one. Also, I hope they replaced the leaked oil as well, but now that I think about it I never checked if they did, assuming they would.

About 5 days after I got my bike back from the leaking issue I came across another major failure. I was on my way to work and after turning into the main street I start gunning it, then shift to 2nd and continue to open up the throttle. Right while shifting from 2nd to 3rd I completely lose all tension in the clutch cable rendering my clutch lever useless. I start to roll off the throttle slowly without touching the brakes and then hear some metallic noises coming from right below where I ****. Immediately after that metallic sound, the rear wheel locks up and I skid to a complete stop.

I call the shop and they agree to pick up the bike again an look into what went wrong. They call me back the next day claiming their clutch replacement work looks fine and it is the transmission that is locked up. Claiming it is a separate issue not related to the clutch replacement.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Please, any suggestion or advice on what the failure may be or how to go about handling the situation will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
First thing I would do is to not let that same shop work on your bike. Second, find another reputable shop and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
There have been a few instances of a circlip coming loose in the transmission and yes, locking it up tight. But typically you'd here some grinding as you lean to the right before a major fail. But I agree with TNXR, do you have another option for service?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
There is much you didn't tell us. What kind of shop? Indie? Victory? What's on the work order? If they filled it with oil, it would be on that work order. But having said that, I do not trust others with tools and my stuff. I had a machine repair biz for over 40 years and I can keep you up all night with "factory trained technician" horror stories. They charged way more than me and not only did worse work, they did less to the machine than I would have. Looks like you found a den of those guys to work on your bike. No red flags?

·
Registered
742 Posts
They call me back the next day claiming their clutch replacement work looks fine and it is the transmission that is locked up. Claiming it is a separate issue not related to the clutch replacement.
Dude I have no idea what's up with your machine but this statement right here makes me want to follow your saga to the end and know if this shop screwed you. Claiming instant innocence is the first action of the most guilty. Now I'm subscribed and can follow along...if they were at fault I sure hope we can all figure it out and learn something together.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I never, and I mean never, trust anyone else to do work on my vehicles. If you don't know how to do the work yourself and you don't have a mechanic that hasn't screwed you over then time to get a service manual and some tools and start tearing into it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I guess it's weird that I tend to only work on my two wheel transportation and have dealer handle my four wheel. (Other than basics like oil.) I guess mainly because having a bike down won't leave me without a way to work.

I do hope you can get this resolved without replacing the bike.
Rule number one if you ever have a shop do any work, double check afterwards. Basic stuff like checking that it has oil in it...
My mom took her car in for oil change and they didn't tighten drain plug. Thankfully we caught it before the engine ran completely out of oil. :(

Not saying for everyone to just jump into doing work themselves. If you NEED a shop then go to one. Just make sure you double check everything afterwards.

·
13,043 Posts
Where abouts do you live.
Take a day off work and go look at the bike see inside the primary. Ask a lot of questions. Ask if they had the clutch hub off.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Did the clutch cable break?

How can the shop say their clutch work is fine if the clutch can't be cycled?

Does the bike roll like it's in neutral?

Can the engine be turned over or is it locked up tight with the transmission?

So many questions but for now, what's the status with your bike?

·
Registered
244 Posts
"Also, I hope they replaced the leaked oil as well, but now that I think about it I never checked if they did, assuming they would."

:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
From reading the OP post.....sound like a string of bad luck. And yes the Transmission circlip should not have anything to do with the clutch rebuild. Seperate sides of engine and the circlip is a known issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts