Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XCT clutch cable and lever was packed with grease from the dealer. I know this is a must for the cable. I remember some folks saying that they grease their cable with every oil change which seems like a good practice. My question is that when you relube your clutch cable are you removing all the old grease first or are you adding the new grease on top of the old so, it's always packed. Thanks

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Just repeating what I have learned here in the past...someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The cable itself does not need to be lubed as it is in a nylon lined housing. What does need lubing are the cable ends and the part of the cable that slides in and out of the ends of the sheathing. At least once a year, disassemble and lube the lever pivots for the clutch and front brakes. Check the bronze bushings for wear while you're at it.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Sounds about right RICZ. Either the sheath is lined or the cable is and you're right on about greasing up the ends. I personally clean them then apply some new grease just to keep things neat. A cover on the clutch end helps to keep it clean but also makes it harder to keep an eye on the clutch end.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My XCT clutch cable and lever was packed with grease from the dealer. I know this is a must for the cable. I remember some folks saying that they grease their cable with every oil change which seems like a good practice. My question is that when you relube your clutch cable are you removing all the old grease first or are you adding the new grease on top of the old so, it's always packed. Thanks
It's exactly correct that just the ends are lightly greased... if your cable is a little grabby after that, you can take a fine grade oil (like sewing machine oil) and lube the internal cable by using the drip method.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was told by reputable mechanic ( they are out there) NOT to lube the cable. The sheath is nylon lined and the cable has a plastic coating ( look at the cable at the Primary case end) IF you lube the cable you stand the chance that the lube will break down the plastic coating and you will need to replace the cable because it will be harder to pull the clutch lever. So clean and grease ( waterproof type?) the barrels at both ends and it doesn't take that much longer to pull the clutch pivot pin to clean and regrease it. cheers

·
13,247 Posts
Its not lubing the cable thats the problem.

You need to lube the pivot the cable breaks at the pivot and VICTORY is to stubborn to fix it the right way.

If they suck up there pride and do the same thing Harley does problem would be solved. Harley has a cast eyelet with a larger opening and a plastic pin.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The main thing is to keep the ends greased so they pivot and don't bind which causes the cable to kink. I usually just "jam" some marine grease in the ends. It's better to take the ends out, clean and lube but either way is better than not.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone snapped a clutch cable with the new plastic ends on the new cable? I know the older cable was snapping very easy!!! I dont wanna buy a save u ride if i might not need it...

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Has anyone snapped a clutch cable with the new plastic ends on the new cable? I know the older cable was snapping very easy!!! I dont wanna buy a save u ride if i might not need it...
It was a problem on the older models. I don't remember anybody snapping the clutch cable on the newer models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts