Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 XCT that has about 40,000 miles. It has the original clutch and has never had clutch work done on it. I recently gummed up the stock clutch cable by putting a solvent into the cable. I replaced the stock cable with a Barnett cable.

For a couple of years I have been running an EZ clutch (clutch pull assist) that reduces the strength needed to pull in the clutch lever. For about the first year, this worked fine. For about the last year, I could not get the clutch to work properly with this EZ clutch. I adjusted the clutch and it was either too loose which would give me gears clattering together when I downshifted with the clutch lever pulled fully in or it would be too tight (i.e. not enough freeplay) and the clutch would slip - especially going up steep hills with turns (not a good place for the clutch to slip). I could also see the slip if I got into 4th or 5th gear at a slower speed of 30-40 mph and gave it a strong throttle twist. The tach would spin up without a commensurate increase in speed.

So I took the EZ clutch off and it is easy to adjust the clutch to get no slip and no gear clatter. However, the force needed to pull the clutch is very high. I guess I'm a woose. I went on a 180 mile ride today almost all of it twisty mountain roads with very frequent clutching and shifting and by the end, I could not even squeeze the clutch because my left hand was so fatigued. I took to using my fingers like a claw and pulling back on my entire are to shift. Obviously, this does not lend itself to proper quick shifting.

My wife and I have four 2012 XCT bikes and all four have the EX Clutch. Only on one of the bikes (mine in N. Carolina) am I unable to adjust the clutch with an EZ clutch installed. The other three bikes work great with the EZ clutch installed and the clutch lever pulls "like butter". So this background finally brings me to my question.

Would it be likely that replacing the clutch plates and steels would allow the clutch to work with the EZ clutch installed? I have all the plates, steels, seals, and gasket to do this but don't want to waste time and parts if this will not allow me to use the EZ clutch to reduce the strength required to pull the clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Will have to compare our clutch pull in July. I don't find it difficult without the ez pull. I did have the same problem with clutch not adjusting correctly with the ez pull installed. It does wear on my wrist and thunb on long rides. I think it's just how I hold grip and pull.

I'll watch your thread for solution to issue in case it happens to me. I'm a few thousand miles behind you at the moment. :)

·
13,002 Posts
I doubt very much that changing the plates would make it easier to pull.
Vic has a very stiff clutch spring to prevent slippage. I did some research back a year or so and could not find a weaker spring to use

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then why do three of my four XCT bikes not have a problem with the EZ clutch pull and only one of them has the problem? That is the part that is confusing to me.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I had the Barnett cable and an EZ-Pull and loved it. Always did a pre ride cable check and never a problem. Other Vic riders envied my easy clutch pull.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
When I got my XTC in 2011 I just got use to the clutch being hard. I never even considered an easy clutch, as I didn’t want to be adjusting it constantly. I almost got one of those spring things to build hand strength, but I got over it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
@Vinish I had the same issue as you. I bought the bike in 2016, and had the clutch replaced with a Barnett Scorpion, and a Barnett HE cable (long story short, the "dealership" I bought it from buggered the clutch adjustment, used the wrong oil, and the plates burned on the first long ride, and longer limp home). The bike has always had a super stiff pull, even before the clutch swap. I finally got the EZ pull working to my liking this year with a set of LSL adjustable levers to get more cable travel (it was the last resort or sell the bike, so I ate the $300). I still keep an eye on the free play, but I haven't had to adjust it yet, and it's been a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I noticed your comment about since you were riding in the mountains you were having to shift alot. All my riding is in the mountains (live over the state line from your NC home) and one thing I have learned about my XR in the last 7 years is that 3rd gear is where I keep mine at for the twisty riding. The gear is wide enough to handle most of the speeds you will encounter and has no problems getting into high rpm's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My wife and I have four 2012 XCT bikes and all four have the EX Clutch. Only on one of the bikes (mine in N. Carolina) am I unable to adjust the clutch with an EZ clutch installed. The other three bikes work great with the EZ clutch installed and the clutch lever pulls "like butter".
Do you have the same bars on all of the bikes and are they and the levers all adjusted to the same place? For example, if the clutch lever is too high or too low relative to your wrist position you end up putting a lot of strain on your forearm.

Also, with regard to the one bike that you have trouble with the ez-pull, is it possible that bike has a different routing of the clutch cable?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed your comment about since you were riding in the mountains you were having to shift alot. All my riding is in the mountains (live over the state line from your NC home) and one thing I have learned about my XR in the last 7 years is that 3rd gear is where I keep mine at for the twisty riding. The gear is wide enough to handle most of the speeds you will encounter and has no problems getting into high rpm's.
Wow, we must ride in very different mountains. I ride on twisties where there is such a tight 180 degree turn and uphill that I have to be in 1st gear to pull out of the hole and I am doing less than 5 mph. Then, on the same road, it will open up to a stretch where I am doing 55 mph and I want to be in at least 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the same bars on all of the bikes and are they and the levers all adjusted to the same place? For example, if the clutch lever is too high or too low relative to your wrist position you end up putting a lot of strain on your forearm.

Also, with regard to the one bike that you have trouble with the ez-pull, is it possible that bike has a different routing of the clutch cable?
Two of the bikes have Victory +2" pullback bars. The 3rd bike has the stock bars. The trouble bike has some after market adjustable bars. It is possible that wrist angle differs a little on these but it is NOT just the wrist angle. Standing next to the bike and pulling in the clutch lever, I can tell that the trouble bike has a very strong clutch pull.

It is possible that the routing of the trouble bike is wrong but I think I followed the instructions when I recently replaced the stock clutch cable with a Barnett's cable. I know the lower and upper part of the routing are correct. The only part that could be wrong is how it passes through the fairing and the "slot" in the triple tree. I passed it in front of the steering stem tube and then up through the left slot in the triple tree. This is my understanding of the routing picture for the clutch cable that is in the service manual.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wow, we must ride in very different mountains. I ride on twisties where there is such a tight 180 degree turn and uphill that I have to be in 1st gear to pull out of the hole and I am doing less than 5 mph. Then, on the same road, it will open up to a stretch where I am doing 55 mph and I want to be in at least 4th gear.
No, same mountains just different ideas and ways of riding I guess. I have been on every twisty road in TN,NC,VA,KY, and WV the ones in NC & TN dozens if not hundreds of times. There are a some of those very steep curves where you may need to go to 1st gear, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area but those are not common. If you are having to go to 4th because you are going 55 mph then it is not a very curvy road to begin with. 3rd gear will works great for the 80% riding in between those two extremes.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I found myself in second gear for much of a twisty road just because I didn't want to fool with shifting constantly. Not sure about third when getting slow but it might be fine with a slow roll on throttle.

I agree on the angle of the clutch lever. Adjusted mine as low as possible to not hit the trip meter trigger when pulling. It does help.

My guess is as you say the route of cable. If it is being pinched somehow that will make the pull more difficult. The strong pull from the clutch end would overcome the resistance you would feel.

·
13,002 Posts
Two of the bikes have Victory +2" pullback bars. The 3rd bike has the stock bars. The trouble bike has some after market adjustable bars. It is possible that wrist angle differs a little on these but it is NOT just the wrist angle. Standing next to the bike and pulling in the clutch lever, I can tell that the trouble bike has a very strong clutch pull.

It is possible that the routing of the trouble bike is wrong but I think I followed the instructions when I recently replaced the stock clutch cable with a Barnett's cable. I know the lower and upper part of the routing are correct. The only part that could be wrong is how it passes through the fairing and the "slot" in the triple tree. I passed it in front of the steering stem tube and then up through the left slot in the triple tree. This is my understanding of the routing picture for the clutch cable that is in the service manual.
What you mean "slot" in triple tree. You want the cable with big loop to it. The sharper the curve in the cable the hard it is to pull

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you mean "slot" in triple tree. You want the cable with big loop to it. The sharper the curve in the cable the hard it is to pull
Perhaps your knowledge of the top triple tree brace on the XC class of bikes is not sufficient to know that the front of the top triple tree brace has three slots in it. The proper routing of the clutch cable is to pass through the left of these three slots.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
I found myself in second gear for much of a twisty road just because I didn't want to fool with shifting constantly. Not sure about third when getting slow but it might be fine with a slow roll on throttle.

I agree on the angle of the clutch lever. Adjusted mine as low as possible to not hit the trip meter trigger when pulling. It does help.

My guess is as you say the route of cable. If it is being pinched somehow that will make the pull more difficult. The strong pull from the clutch end would overcome the resistance you would feel.
as far as tripping the mode button goes, mine was doing that till I shaved it down with a single sided razor blade.
My XC has a much better clutch pull than the Vegas, both are 2010 models.
When I souped up the Vegas I fitted a Scorpion and primary plate.
I played with different springs then took the Scorpion out and fitted the Barnett diaphragm and billet cover plate.
Ended up taking that out and going back to stock Victory clutch which is good for 130HP and Im only on 114HP...
I was running an EZ-CLUTCH till the mods but its not compatible with the Barnett Scorpion or the Barnett diaphragm.
Tried it again with everything stock and just couldnt get the right amount of adjustment and Im very experienced with adjusting the EZ-CLUTCH done a lot of miles with one.
The only other variable with the Vegas is the 6 inch oversize Barnett clutch cable that I also fitted at the start of my hop-ups.......
Could it be the extra 6 inches of cable flexing on clutch pull that is reducing my adjustment?
The arthritis in my left hand aint getting any better and much as I love riding the rawness of the Vegas , the XC is my usual choice these days.
I still have the original clutch cable but I gave the EZ-CLUTCH away when the local dealers were having problems selling a bike that had a Heavy Clutch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts