Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is can a fella rebuild his own clutch at home or is there a bunch of specialty tools required. I tried asking the local stealer and of coarse they would rather me bring in the bike for them to fix. My clutch started slipping pretty bad on the weekend and the stealer wants $1100.00 bux to replace the the friction rings. I was choked at that price. $600.00 for clutch parts, $50.00 for the primary gasket & $80.00 for new oil and the rest is labour. I just picked the bike up a month ago , its an '06 Jackpot with 11,000 miles on it. I did a bunch of reading on here about possible solutions to the slipping , like oil, cable adjustment but all seems to be fine. So would like to take it apart a have a look see for myself and possibly fix the issue myself while Im in there. Any advice would be great Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a thread in the other ForumThatShallNotBeNamedHere entitled "Clutch Replacement Cliffnotes". Also another thread entitled "I need advice on a new clutch"

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is one special tool need to compress the clutch spring. I believe the manual outlines a way to make a makeshift tool, but I've got a factory style one that I use. If you are going to be doing a lot of work on the bike best just get the manual anyway, cheap copies can be found on e-bay. An online search may yield a diagram for that makeshift tool.
A way to save money: You can get a Barnett kit for about $300 for all the clutch parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reply Vicbuilder. I do have a manual that was the first thing that I bought when I got the bike. I will do a search to see if there is a diagram online of the makeshift tool. So your sayin it can be done at home I dont need to be a rocket scientist or a have a crap load of special tools?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The forum that shall not be named is The Viper Mike Charley (pay attention the the first letter of each word and squeeze them together). You can get the info if you're on the site but you have to become a member (paid member) in order to get to it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would really be asking my self why the clutch needs to be replaced at 11K. The bike is used and you will never really know it's history, but this is very unusual.

Sorry, I am going to go there...do you know what oil has been run in the bike? Before you drop the coin on a new clutch you might want to run some Vic oil and do a couple of oil changes.

I might be wrong but I believe some have stopped the slipping by doing a couple of short change intervals with Vic oil.

·
13,247 Posts
calgargord

First is your clutch cable adjusted corect? Don't guess and it can only be adjusted when bike is cold. Not warm not hot.

Second did you try using victory oil. Every one who has something other then vic oil and there clutch slips they go back and problem goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah ive been doin alot of reading and I think Im tending to agree with you guys, I think its worth changing the oil out a couple of times as you say. I have no idea whats in it for oil. So I think I will try the simple solution first. By the way thanks for all the support fellas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as the clutch cable goes there is a bit of slack at the lever like theres suppose to be. So I really dont think its that but im no expert. Besides Ive been riding the bike for about a month now and would the cable slowly go out of adjustment while riding? As i said im no expert, but ive been riding bikes for years and have never had clutch issues before on any of my bikes especially such a low mileage bike.

·
13,247 Posts
Pump the clutch a few times. Now Grab the cable where it goes into the clutch perch and pull on the cable the silver end should come out a 1/16th to a 1/8 any thing more then that and your out of adjustment.
Read service manual on how to adjust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I changed the oil yesterday and holy crap was that stuff black. I should have changed it out as soon as I bought the bike a month ago. I will never trust a previous owner again when he says the oil was just changed (yeah right). So then I fired it up at took it out for a quick tour seems like the slipping has all but gone. Who knew that dirty oil would make your clutch start slipping. Thanks again to all for the advice and tips.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I always change the oil when buying a used bike. Odds are the dealer didn't do it when they took it in and the owner didn't when the traded it. That oil probably had some serious miles and time on it in that bike. I think your clutch will get better on the next change when ALL the old oil is out (I'm talking about what little bit was probably left in).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts