Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is toast on my 07 Vegas after 6k miles. Clutch cable adjustment is in spec and was adjusted when cold. I was running Rotella T6 full syntethic oil.. lesson learned there Vic oil from now on.

Mods are in sig was thinking of going with the barnett fibers and plates. I don't think I will be doing any more power adders. Are the barnett friction plates more robust than stock?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just about always go with Barnetts. They make you work a little more but you get what you pay for.

That said, 6k is not much in the life of a clutch. Did the bike sit for awhile? Just saying, the muscle mods you did aren't likely the cause of the failure unless you were playing them for all they were worth and punishing that rear wheel.

I would look for other reasons besides the oil and the tricks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've owned the bike for a year and put 2k miles on it myself. I do ride it quite hard as I'm accustomed to a sport bike. Prior to me purchasing it I believe it did sit for a while. The slipping started after a burnout at the track.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well, Barnett makes a fine clutch. It won't go south on you over some heavy wristed hijinks.
Keeping the bike active is good for the clutch. Letting it sit in a partially submerged oil (any oil) bath for months OTOH, not a clutches best friend.
I don't know if that had anything to do with your misery but it's at least as likely as the cams and pipes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill have to slap the barnett clutch in this weekend.. no way I'm paying $400+ for the factory one. Good thing its going to rain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does look like a nice setup. Probaly a bit overkill for my setup though. Before cams I put down 93 hp and 100 torque.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am thinking my bike sat for a while before I bought it and at times the clutch seems to have high spots. How much (ballpark) is a clutch replacement when the time comes?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do it yourself right around $300 using the barnett clutch. You need a primary cover gasket for $50, clutch itself is $200 and of course an oil change $50.

·
13,177 Posts
My clutch is toast on my 07 Vegas after 6k miles. Clutch cable adjustment is in spec and was adjusted when cold. I was running Rotella T6 full synthetic oil.. lesson learned there Vic oil from now on.

Mods are in sig was thinking of going with the barnett fibers and plates. I don't think I will be doing any more power adders. Are the barnett friction plates more robust than stock?
Did you switch back to Vic oil? Lots of guys say problem goes away when they do.
Barnett is the best maker of clutch plates. If you do go to Barnett plates you can stay with your Syn.
Clutch plates go away when guys don't stay with one or two oil's.
Barnett's are designed to work with synthetic oil's.
Soak the new plates in oil for a half hour I believe and then put them in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did switch back to vic oil yesterday. Ill try it again today after it has soaked overnight and see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling it won't matter much. I can't rev it over 2k in any gear without it slipping.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Soaking is not enough. You will need to actually use the clutch to move all of the old oil out of it. Tight spacing with a viscous fluid means almost no transfer by natural circulation. You need to actually force the oil in and out by manipulating the clutch, which more or less pumps the oil around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a feeling that the oil will have no effect. Ive been running the Rotella T for 2k miles with no issue. I think the burnout smoked the clutch. Regardless from here on out I will be running the Vic oil just be safe.

New clutch goes in on Saturday. I will check the old one for wear maybe its salvageable as a spare.

·
13,177 Posts
Shame Shame on you in your first post you lead us to believe that your "oil" was the cause of the clutch slipping.
Now you say you did a burn out.
If you don't know how to do a burn out yes for sure you will burn up your clutch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first post states I did a burnout at the track. I know how to do burnout I've done hundreds with my last bike with no issue. Never realized that these clutches were so weak.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had a Barrnett clutch put in at 14k miles. So far so good. Enjoying the fact that the clutch pack isn't warped any more. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had a Barrnett clutch put in at 14k miles. So far so good. Enjoying the fact that the clutch pack isn't warped any more. Good luck with your decision.
Did you replace just the plates and fibers or did you do the pressure plate as well? Any noticeable difference vs stock?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had the fibers and plates replaced. There is only 14k miles on the bike, so I figured the basket and everything else should be good. If feels pretty much like it did the day I rode it home. thumb up

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed the clutch last nite. The old clutch was burned up so that was definetly the problem. New barnett clutch feels great so far seems to grab real well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts