Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know where I can get a clutch safety switch for a 2004 victory Kingpin? It is a Marquardt 1022 microswitch. Have sent email to marquardt but do not expect a lot from a large mfg as I need one. They are apparently no longer available through Polaris Industries. Any help greatly appreciated.
They are used so you can start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Its just that the "check engine" light comes on occasionally at a stop sign and is unnerving. Dealer ran diagnostic and that is what he came up with.
Thank you
Dennis

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered the 1022-4242 two wire switch this am. $14 plus $7 shipping. might have to splice wires for plug but it should work out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I hope so. I guess if not then not much money spent. I would test it before you start cutting up wires.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
P, the tech came up with the answer running his diagnostics. Did they or you ever do a simple continuity test to confirm the switch was faulty? I've no reason to doubt the solution, just asking out of curiosity.

Also, if the dealer retained a Digital Wrench, where are you?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither he nor I did a continuity test. He said his computer program said that was the problem and they could not fix it.
Problem happened when I parked on grass and kickstand slowly sank into the dirt and it dropped the clutch lever onto the concrete curb. It impacted on the clutch lever and scooted the housing toward the center of the handlebar about 1/2". Light doesn't come on all the time, only occasionally in city riding when clutch pulled in. Occasionally.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right. took switch off. Did continuity check with ohm meter. nothing. Noticed the difference between two switches was the little nubby that contacted clutch lever wasn't sticking out. Probed it with knife. It popped out. then it worked as a switch, out had resistance,in had none. did it over and over. contacter was jammed into switch and stuck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put switch back and it quickly got jammed again. Got marquardt switch from Mouser. Problem was, with new switch when nubby is in circuit is complete on old when nubby is out, circuit is complete. Mouser no help. E mailed marquardt and they told me they make over 100 switches for Polaris and they are proprietary so even if they make them they won't sell to an individual.
Called Polaris. They are N/A from them. BUT... They have a database on which dealers have what in inventory! They sent me a list of 18 dealers who had at least one in stock according to their records, along with their phone numbers. Second place I called had one and was going to ship it last night to me.
I sent this in case any one else needs a part that is no longer in stock at Polaris according to their local dealer. Call Polaris, they went way out of their way to help me and I am truely appreciative and they may be able to find other parts too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
No reason to do that. If you want to defeat the purpose of the safety switch you could just connect the two wires or disconnect one of them depending on if it is a normally open or normally closed switch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no reason to epoxy the old switch in place, it has a bracket and the two plastic pins to hold it into place. The nubby is the plunger that springs out when you squeeze the clutch lever and in when you release it. I don't want to defeat the purpose of the switch, that's why I have ordered a new one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Switch came in todays mail from Gregory Polaris in Jacksonville, Ark. Took all of 5 minutes to put in. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
When supply runs out you can flip the switch function using relays. That would be extra wiring and such but it's an option.

I still think switch is likely same on newer bikes or close enough to fit and just have to connect the wiring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts