Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's cold out, but my clutch is definitely beginning to slip in the upper RPMs.

My two questions are...

A) Could this be a simple adjustment procedure? I am HARD on this bike

B) If I need to replace the clutch, what would you recommend for someone with my mods and enjoys every second of them?

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
I know it's cold out, but my clutch is definitely beginning to slip in the upper RPMs.

My two questions are...

A) Could this be a simple adjustment procedure? I am HARD on this bike

B) If I need to replace the clutch, what would you recommend for someone with my mods and enjoys every second of them?
have you got the required freeplay at the lever cold?, and mores better than less.
If you have plenty freeplay and its starting to slip then you'll be replacing your clutch fairly soon and if I was you Id be going for an upgrade

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never have adjusted free play before, but my buddy says I should have some (I have NONE... zip, zilch, zero).

Out of curiosity, what clutch would you recommend for a GOOD aftermarket?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
A clutch cable adjustment is free and takes only a minute. Replacing your clutch (if it is in fact alright) is like cutting off your head because your nose itched.

·
13,087 Posts
If you have no free play and its a 2012 bet you have burned up the clucth.
If your buddy knows how try it there should be no more then a 1/8"

·
Registered
931 Posts
I took 09 pin to my dealer last year to check for a clutch slip issue. It would make a screeching sound under hard take off. They found nothing wrong. Took it too Lloyds and they found the pressure plate and spring funked up. They replaced it with Barnett HD plate and spring. Much better now. This was with only 6k miles. Lloyds said he thinks it was the level cover I was using, took it off and gained 1/2in travel. I have to reposition my iso grip so the lever hits the valley instead of the pad.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Never have adjusted free play before, but my buddy says I should have some (I have NONE... zip, zilch, zero).

Out of curiosity, what clutch would you recommend for a GOOD aftermarket?
Well there ya go....get it adjusted quick smart its a basic easy task that should be done every oil change. Theres a great vid of it on YouTube, I eas shown personally by a friend thats owned 3 Victorys, its essential you have that freeplay.
Amazes me that whoever services your bike hasnt donr it already and maintained it at oil changes..even moreso given the mods anf state of tune and the fact you ride it hard.
Id be giving it some slack and changing the oil too if its due or overdue.
Then take it out and hammer it and see if it still slips.
You might jusy get away with it!
And at least learn how to adjust and maintain freeplay.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Do not replace that clutch until you have adjusted it. You can have as much free play as you like, but not so much you can't disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not replace that clutch until you have adjusted it. You can have as much free play as you like, but not so much you can't disengage the clutch.
So, I ended up adjusting it. I turned it until it wouldn't disengage completely and then kept knocking it back a little at a time until it did. Took the woman and myself (totalling a little over 300 lbs) out and romped on it for 3-4 hours. No more slipping.

I feel pretty stupid now. I figured the clutch would adjust as it wore and have NEVER touched it. The only time it has been touched was at the end of the last season. Powdercoat guy had reassembled that portion.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
Lesson learned; unless you know that they know, never trust anyone with tools to work on your stuff. BTW, did you adjust the gap according to what it sez in the manual?

·
Registered
848 Posts
So, I ended up adjusting it. I turned it until it wouldn't disengage completely and then kept knocking it back a little at a time until it did. Took the woman and myself (totalling a little over 300 lbs) out and romped on it for 3-4 hours. No more slipping.

I feel pretty stupid now. I figured the clutch would adjust as it wore and have NEVER touched it. The only time it has been touched was at the end of the last season. Powdercoat guy had reassembled that portion.
Depending how HARD you have been on the bike, you might had burned the plates or at least glazed them...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe for proper slack, you should be looking for a dimes width of travel at the lever

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how few vehicle owners have read their manuals, or even refer to them. Cagers are the worst about manual reading, witness the number of them driving with fogged up windows. And how many have you seen with hordes of keys on the ring with their ignition key? The GM switch recall is due, at least in part, because of that.
Had the OP read and followed what's in his manual, this thread would not exist.

·
13,087 Posts
ONLY adjust your clutch when its over night COLD. If the clutch is warm or hot your not going to get the right settings.

If you get the good play at the lever and no more then a 1/8" you adjusted correct. If go for short ride to see if its right you can not readjust it till its over night cold.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That video shows him putting way more free play in the handle than 1/8" or the thickness of a dime etc.

Won't this keep it from fully disengaging.

I know they build and work on the victory police bikes but why is he suggesting way more than the factory setting? Is this much free play Ok? I hope so because i like the clutch to engage closer to the the handle bar.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Too much free play and the clutch won't fully disengage. This results in a couple problems:

1) stalling at a stop
2) creeping at a stop with the clutch pulled in
3) hard shifting
4) glazing of the steels/frictions
5) premature clutch wear
6) difficulty finding neutral
7) difficulty rolling the bike in gear with clutch pulled in (engine off)

You can have as much free play as you want so long as the clutch is fully disengaged. A quick a dirty way to check that it's fully disengaged is to start the bike and put it in gear. Any tendency to creep forward while in gear with the lever pulled in means it's not full disengaged. Adjust until no creep and then go just a bit more and that's as loose as you can go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts