Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for my non-technical description, I'm not a mechanic.

I have a 2011 Cross Roads, stock engine with 3700 miles. Tonight while out for a spin I noticed some occasional catch/snap metallic type sound when giving it some throttle from slow speed in first gear. I couldn't replicate it to make it happen, just every so often. Then sound seems to come from the lower front of the engine.

Maybe it's a mount or something?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Maybe your torque compensator? It is a known issue in the 2011 models. Mine almost sounded like a Ducati when idleing in neutral If I pulled in the clutch it would go away. Vic fixed it under warranty

·
13,177 Posts
Forgive me for my non-technical description, I'm not a mechanic.

I have a 2011 Cross Roads, stock engine with 3700 miles. Tonight while out for a spin I noticed some occasional catch/snap metallic type sound when giving it some throttle from slow speed in first gear. I couldn't replicate it to make it happen, just every so often. Then sound seems to come from the lower front of the engine.

Maybe it's a mount or something?

Any ideas?
Find another Vic rider and let him ride your bike and see if he hears the sound you can't describ. Or go to dealer and have them test ride it and see what they have to say

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe your torque compensator?
I would probably agree. My 2011 does this in about every gear if I roll off and try to roll back on after coasting for a bit. I compensate for it by feathering in the clutch to ease that "slam" that can happen.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Releasing throttle and bike is slowing, then you apply a little throttle and your hear a clank noise? if so, that is the torque compensator doing what it is supposed to. Lower gears=High torque. Absorbing the lash between the gears disengaging and re-engaging. Now if it does it at idle while in neutral, and pulling in clutch makes the sound go away...then a torque compensator rebuild or upgrade may be needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Releasing throttle and bike is slowing, then you apply a little throttle and your hear a clank noise? if so, that is the torque compensator doing what it is supposed to. Lower gears=High torque. Absorbing the lash between the gears disengaging and re-engaging. Now if it does it at idle while in neutral, and pulling in clutch makes the sound go away...then a torque compensator rebuild or upgrade may be needed.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Yeah I think this captures what is going on. It's a little alarming as the Road King I rode for 5 years didn't to this - I got this bike last september and only got 1000 miles on it before winter, and have just started riding this summer because I was recovering from a broken ankle.

It is a bit of a clank/snap as I roll on the throttle in lower gears or slower speeds.

I was a little worried since I leave for Sturgis in 15 days!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts