Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past Sunday was a beautiful day for a ride here in southern Ontario. Got 2 blocks from home and my clutch cable broke. It's a 2001 92CI Cruiser. I think it's a one piece cable but I am apprehensive to slide it out as I have never replaced one before. It broke at the handle. Do I just slide out the cable from the transmission end? It looks like it will come out easy. I saw on ConquestCustoms.com that I can order a 24" or 36" cable and it indicates that both are for the 92CI Victory. Which one is it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My clutch cable broke in the same location as yours, except I was 300 miles from home. I had to remove mine while on the side of the highway, so this is the I'm SOL method.
*I loosened the nut on the trasmission side and removed it from the shifting hook.
*Then I went to the right side of the bike and pulled the broken cable out.
**You will have to help guide it at the fork since there is a grommet there.
I took the broken cable to a repair shop to put on a new end, rigged it up and rode it the rest of my trip.

I replaced it with a Barnett cable from J&P Cycle and bought a new barrel from a Victory dealer. The stainless steel braided one at stock lengths is part number PNZZ52546 01.

One last thing, if you have the bike in your garage, removing the tank makes it much easier to access the cable. Plus, you'll have to do this anyways to install it. Just make sure that your do not break your fuel line quick connect like I did ($100+ mistake).

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I would just do a Sav-Ur-Ride cable kit. No need to remove tank....takes about 10 minutes to install. I keep them in stock and ready to ship. In fact I have about 8k miles on my kit and carry an extra for the "Just in case" moment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
While you're installing the new one, take some time to look at the barrel and other areas on the clutch lever where the cable goes in; there's a sharp-edged wear point there which most likely caused the break in the first place. Grind down the sharp edge to a nice radius; a Dremel with abrasive point works great, but a small file & some patience will also serve.

I'll second the recommendation to carry a "Save-Ur-Ride" spare clutch cable; inexpensive, easy to install, and it'll get you home! I keep one inside my side cover...

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
The kit on your site says its specifically designed for the CC and CR. Do you have one for the V92?
The C101M will work on you V92! Scroll down on page where cables are and you will see it listed.

Fits all steel frame bikes from 99-present.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts