Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are using the Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro,

Recently I have been getting a intermitent Check engine light, code 0 17 5200205 which translates to #2 cylinder lean. Sounds like an O2 sensor is bad. But after hooking the bike to the Polaris Digital Wrench I found:
50 events of over lean #2 cylinder
10 events for over lean #1 cylinder
5 events of over rich #1 cylinder
3 event of ICV issues.
All codes were cleared and the bike restarted. it took 5 minutes for the inital code ( #2 Cylinder Lean) to lite the CEL.

all other ECM parameters look to be within OEM Spec. The unit has run great for 2500 miles and now both O2 sensors are bad at the same time? Highly suspect.

I have an e-mail into Cobra, wondering who else has had issues with the tuner and how did they fix them?

To Me it sounds like the tuner is the culprit....

·
Premium Member
632 Posts

Recently I have been getting a intermitent Check engine light, code 0 17 5200205 which translates to #2 cylinder lean. Sounds like an O2 sensor is bad. But after hooking the bike to the Polaris Digital Wrench I found:
50 events of over lean #2 cylinder
10 events for over lean #1 cylinder
5 events of over rich #1 cylinder
3 event of ICV issues.
All codes were cleared and the bike restarted. it took 5 minutes for the inital code ( #2 Cylinder Lean) to lite the CEL.

all other ECM parameters look to be within OEM Spec. The unit has run great for 2500 miles and now both O2 sensors are bad at the same time? Highly suspect.

I have an e-mail into Cobra, wondering who else has had issues with the tuner and how did they fix them?

I heard of a similar issue with the first generation units for another brand of bike. Not sure if this also applies to the first gen Victory controllers or not.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
To me it sounds like your mods are the problem. Didn't you bore out the cats? Poke some holes in the muffler while you were at it? Maybe add a free flowing air filter while you were monkeying around?

Any or all of those things can add to your bike flowing more air, thus running leaner with the current FI map. If what I read here is to be believed, the PowrPro only adds fuel during acceleration. At that point, your bike probably runs ok. It's when it's back running the stock map fueling (during idle & steady state throttle apps) for stock parts that I'd guess are causing your issue.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
To me it sounds like your mods are the problem. Didn't you bore out the cats? Poke some holes in the muffler while you were at it? Maybe add a free flowing air filter while you were monkeying around?
But the Cobra tunes for perfect A/F 80 times a freakin' second...
It tunes your bike perfectly for ANY conditions or ANY modifications... automatically... like having a built-in dyno tuner on the bike full time. Haven't you read their brochure?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Un-plug the O2 sensors. Tie em up nice and neat. If you get accel popping or decell popping then try just re-connecting the factory O2's and leave the Powerpro out of the loop. Thats how I am running now. Your ecm is confused and throwing a lean code.

Or just call Phil at Powerpro tech (702)528-3495.

I wonder why Powerpro even has O2 connections on it anyway if I and others are able to run with just stock O2's and have the powerpro perform better without it's O2's connected. :confused::confused::confused:

Ask phil that question for us would you? wac

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the O2 sensors?
Un-plug the O2 sensors. ... Your ecm is confused and throwing a lean code.
:I agree:
Disconnect the O² sensors and the problem will go away. Otherwise the controller and the ECU end up correcting each other endlessly.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Any or all of those things can add to your bike flowing more air, thus running leaner with the current FI map. If what I read here is to be believed, the PowrPro only adds fuel during acceleration. At that point, your bike probably runs ok. It's when it's back running the stock map fueling (during idle & steady state throttle apps) for stock parts that I'd guess are causing your issue.
Thanks for your input, of no use but thank for your comments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried unplugging the O2 sensors?
I did unplug the sensor on the #2 cylinder to stop from setting the CEL.

Bernie hooked up the Digital wrench software and we found that the Lamda readings on the sensors were jumping from just short of spec to vey low.

I have unplugged both O2 sensors and it is running good. Funny with the sensors hooked up the bike was trending toward lean now that the Ambient air temp is up there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Un-plug the O2 sensors. Tie em up nice and neat. If you get accel popping or decell popping then try just re-connecting the factory O2's and leave the Powerpro out of the loop. Thats how I am running now. Your ecm is confused and throwing a lean code.

Or just call Phil at Powerpro tech (702)528-3495.

I wonder why Powerpro even has O2 connections on it anyway if I and others are able to run with just stock O2's and have the powerpro perform better without it's O2's connected. :confused::confused::confused:

Ask phil that question for us would you? wac

I will give Phil a call in about 30 minutes when he opens for business and let ya know what he says. Thanks for the POC info.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey HC, Great looking ridethumb up

My Lovely would like to know when were are going for another run? She rather enjoyed the last ride.

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Thanks for your input, of no use but thank for your comments
It's your bike and time. Keep disconnecting O2 sensors and blaming Cobra if you like, but I'd bet a bologna sandwich that if you put a stock exhaust and filter back on it, it'd run just fine.

There's a reason Victory sells a Stage 1 FI map to go with their free flowing pipes and filter...

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
It's your bike and time. Keep disconnecting O2 sensors and blaming Cobra if you like, but I'd bet a bologna sandwich that if you put a stock exhaust and filter back on it, it'd run just fine.
But... but... but the Cobra tunes to whatever modifications are done to the motorcycle, including cams and big-bore kits, right? Isn't the whole idea of a fuel controller to tune for modifications?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did unplug the sensor on the #2 cylinder to stop from setting the CEL.

Bernie hooked up the Digital wrench software and we found that the Lamda readings on the sensors were jumping from just short of spec to vey low.

I have unplugged both O2 sensors and it is running good. Funny with the sensors hooked up the bike was trending toward lean now that the Ambient air temp is up there.
I've been told to never ever un-plug just one 02.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Yep, it's like crossing the streams! Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Unplugging only one O² sensor will guarantee you a check engine light. Disconnect both.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
But... but... but the Cobra tunes to whatever modifications are done to the motorcycle, including cams and big-bore kits, right? Isn't the whole idea of a fuel controller to tune for modifications?
It might well do that, but if you're correct (and you have a relatively good track record), it only does it during acceleration and then reverts back to the stock fuel map.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Called Cobra, Good News they can fix it on the bike over the phone... Hummm.
But They want the sales recirept first ... Now that that is dug up and faxed to them.. waiting on a tech to call, they are all out to lunch.

Let all know what turns up.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unplugging only one O² sensor will guarantee you a check engine light. Disconnect both.
Not true, I only unplugged the #2 cylinder to get ride of the CEL.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
It might well do that, but if you're correct (and you have a relatively good track record), it only does it during acceleration and then reverts back to the stock fuel map.
Hey, if it reverts to the stock map... ever... then it is not accounting for modifications at all... or tuning in real time.

http://www.cobrausa.com/fuel.php
"No matter what kind of new hardware you install on your bike--a new exhaust system, a free-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with high-performance cams, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance."

Modifications like those listed will require changes to the fueling all the time, not just under acceleration.

If it can't account for just having the cats removed from a completely stock exhaust and adding a free flowing air filter... well...

1 - 20 of 147 Posts