Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on another web site that a few people were having issues with rust stains running out from there new Tri Ovals.
One member added a couple of photos of his new ones that had rust stains/rust running out of the rear and he was constantly wiping it off.

Having recently acquired the Tri Oval Stage 1 kit in chrome myself, I was rather concerned about that, so I decided to remove the baffles and investigate why that would happen.

I found what most likely is the source of the rust stains. Keep in mind, my pipes are brand new and have never been run yet, so they haven't been subjected to a build up of condensation yet.
I saw rust forming around the welds by the Y-Pipe. I cleaned the top baffle up a bit with a brass wire whell, but hadn't touched the bottom one yet and you can see the rust forming.

Dusty

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to clean then up with the brass wire wheel and coat them with a couple coats of Rust Oleum Specialty High-Heat Ultra Black Spray Paint to hopefully help prevent that from happening to mine.

Hoping that will prevent the rust stains for a couple of years.

Dusty

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have not seen any signs of corrosion on my Tri's and they are a few years old now. But this is easy enough to do and might prevent issues in the future... Thanks for the tip thumb up

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Are Tri-Ovals that easy to pull apart ? WOW...I may do that to mine. Maybe add a little bit of SS wool to cut down on the sound a bit.
THANKS for the info and pictures ! !

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Great post and photos Dusty, thank you. I like how you cleaned yours up to prevent a possible rust issue going forward. I also have a brand new set of Tri Ovals in my garage and will now likely pull the baffles to clean and paint them like you've done.

I've read several times that cutting off the baffle and leaving a 3" stub on the Y connector greatly improves the sound of the Tri Ovals.

·
12,983 Posts
Dusty Boots
Heat up the pipes a little at a time. Maybe 10 min and shut bike off let it cool down that repete. If you go for a 30 mile ride right off the bat you'll burn up the paint

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Dusty Boots
Heat up the pipes a little at a time. Maybe 10 min and shut bike off let it cool down that repete. If you go for a 30 mile ride right off the bat you'll burn up the paint
That process is necessary even with high temp paint?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the left side baffle and thought I'd take a peek up inside the tube of the right Tri Oval and this is what I found! :eek ....

..... which could be the true source of the rust streaks! Thoughts ????

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Short trips...ya gotta go on longer rides to heat the pipes up properly and get rid of condensation..
Ride more and for longer is the cure.
Good for the soul too:smile

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short trips...ya gotta go on longer rides to heat the pipes up properly and get rid of condensation..
Ride more and for longer is the cure.
Good for the soul too:smile
These are BRAND NEW pipes !! .... never even been heated up yet!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update;

This morning I went over to London and I bought myself a 24 in. Wand High Pressure Engine Cleaning Gun from Princess Auto and sprayed the rusty weld at the far end of the Tri Oval around the inlet pipe with some engine oil.

Before:

After;

I'll pull the other baffle back out and spray that one, as well as a light coating down the inside of each baffle.
Ya, it'll smoke some when I fire the bike up with the oil and freshly painted baffles, but that won't last too long.

Just make sure if you paint the baffles to follow directs on the can as how to 'cure' the high temp paint, or else it will just burn off; Fire up bike, let it idle for 10 mins, then turn off and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Do that a couple of times, then a short, easy ride for 15-20 minutes and then let cool down. Should be good to go after that!

Dusty

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I think after I paint mine I'll just stick them in the oven in kitchen and cure them that way and hope the wife doesn't catch me. :grin

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took out the baffle on the left side, gave the insides of the baffles a light spray, let them drain a bit, sprayed the weld up at the inlet pipe on the left one and buttoned everything up.

Dusty

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dusty Boots

Tell us more about your lift table
It's just a 18" high work platform I built to work on bikes and can roll it back under my workbench when not in use to save floor space.
If you're interested, here's a link to it's build process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts