Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 XCT since November, so I'm still learning the bike. I took a ride this past weekend into the mountains where it dropped to about mid to upper 30's over night. I went to start er up the next morning and it took a while to kick over. As I was hitting the starter button, I had to twist the throttle to force it. Got me really nervous obviously. Is this indicative of the bike and something I have to learn to live with or could there be something else going on? Maybe just a dying battery hopefully.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
If you have not already heard it, you'll soon learn the name, Lloyd. He's probably the #1 Vic mechanic in the US. He suggests that you always hold the throttle cracked open just a bit while starting the bike. It does make a difference...especially on cold starts.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Yup, that's right - hold that throttle open about 1/8 a turn while cranking. Make certain your battery terminals are tight and while you're at it, place external type star lock washers under the bolt heads as they tend to loosen. I like Rotella T-6 oil cuz its 5-40 and that makes for easier starts in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
And hold the start button in till she fires...dont jab at it.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I like Rotella T-6 oil cuz its 5-40 and that makes for easier starts in cold weather.
Synthetics really make a world of difference in cold weather starting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have observed that if you cycle the fuel pump 2 or 3 times before hitting the start button the engine fires more quickly. I do this when the bike has been parked for a week or more, but it also seems to help in colder weather.

·
13,002 Posts
anything more than a 1/8 of a turn does no good.
when did you put in new spark plugs

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had to fire mine up last November when it was -25° outside and -15° in my unheated garage. This after plowing the snow away from the garage door and 5th wheel toyhauler with a Bobcat. When I went to start the bike it dawned on me that I hadn't considered if the bike would even try to start. As it turned out she rolled over a bit slow but fired immediately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts