Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new owner of a 2012 ness/vision.Owner manuel calls for 20w40 oil.This is a somewhat heavy weight oil. What is lower safe air temp.to ride bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
When the engine is warmed up, 20w40 acts like any other 40. You can run as cold as you can endure :)

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Many here use Rotella T-6 cuz its 5-40, nice and thin for cold starts. When starting,hold the throttle open 1/8 turn. If you park it in an unheated garage, place a heater near the engine to warm it, the oil and the battery, that makes starts easier on everything. Keep an automatic trickle charger on the battery, especially in cold weather. The cold sucks the life outa them.

·
12,968 Posts
You always want to open the throttle a 1/8" before pushing the start button. If you don't you can get a backfire that will take out your starter sprag clutch out and it's over a $200 dollar repair.
Doesn't matter if it's warm out or cold it's a must.
In any weather let bike warm up for a good 2 minutes or more. Sittin on back with left hand feel the rear cylinder and head. When it feels warm or to the point you can't hold your hand on it because of the heat then you can ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqbvkO5EO8

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
I don't often, in fact can't remember ever, disagree with Rylan (a well known top notch Vic mechanic) but I've been giving this starting some thought.

I think where the problem comes in is people are sometimes letting up on the starter button too soon. If you keep the starter clutch engaged until the engine starts; it should never backfire which is why most of us don't have this problem. Most of us instinctively keep the button pushed until the bike is started.

What do you think Johnny?

I don't have anything else to add to the oil question except; Welcome!

·
12,968 Posts
Never did the 1/8" throttle opening till I saw the video. But I don't have $200 bucks to find out the hardway. You are right about not holding the button long enough

1 - 7 of 7 Posts