Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's almost time to park the bike for the season up here and was wondering if there is a real concern over riding in near freezing temps besides the obvious with ice on the ground if it's been damp.
My ride to work is only 7min so in the mornings it usually right around 0c (32f). The bike is stored in an unheated garage and I start it up and run it for about 2min before even rolling off the driveway and I do not rev the motor. 7min is not a lot of time to really warm the motor up so am I causing damage by doing these short trips to and from work?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
That short a commute is not enough to get the engine up to full operating temperature and that is not good. Short runs in cool/cold weather will rust out the exhaust pipes and infest the engine oil with water. The there is that Skid Demon lurking around each bend.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought, in the afternoon going home it's warmer (usually in the 50s) so it's just the morning that was my concern but I think it's time to park it anyhow as the temps can really struggle to climb out of the 30s moving forward.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I live 2.3 miles from my work and its about a 10 min start to finish ride. I don't even bother riding it in the heat of summer never mind the near freezing temps of fall. Its not worth the trouble of getting the bike out and me geared up for such a short ride. But more than anything, that type short hop riding, especially in cold weather, is unnecessary wear & tear on the bike.....in my opinion ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ride year round with full heated gear in the winter. I don't care how cold it gets. As long as there is no chance for ice on the road (morning dew can freeze to the road, so be careful!) I'm on the bike. My bike is outside under a cover. I only work about 10 minutes from home, all slower (45mph max) back roads.
My advice is to REALLY let that bike warm up. 2 minutes is not long enough of a warm up. I go out and uncover the bike and get her started up. I take the cover inside and start the process of suiting up in the gear. After gearing up I head outside and lock the front door behind me. Once the bags are loaded up with my EDC and lunch, keys and phone securely zipped in a pocket, I plug the gear in and mount the bike.
It's about a half mile of riding to get out of my section. I take it very slowly, typically in first gear so that all the moving parts have a good chance to start warming up as well. This is not summer time, I do not crank on that throttle, no matter how much fun it would be to break that cold rear tire free. Remember that the tires on your bike were probably not designed for extreme cold. They will never warm up to their designed operating temperature and will not grip that cold road like intended. As long as you think safe, you'll be safe. Take it a little slower, especially in the turns. Avoid riding with any type of moisture in the air. Even if it's not foggy in the morning, the dew can come up off of rivers and streams that are close to the road. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
My daily commute is an hour so taking the time to get dressed for riding in the cold is worth it. It takes me longer than 7 minutes to get my cold weather riding gear on.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I can see people that live in cold Northern areas putting the scooter up for the winter. I'm lucky because we have a lot of warm days year round here. A cold spell will last four to seven days, below freezing. We have a lot of days in the 70's.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Speaking of cold weather riding...8) 42 degrees F here and sunny heading out to get some wind therapy.....8)

ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seriously hope that you routinely check the tires for proper inflation in the cold weather regardless of how far/long your ride is.
Yup, once a week.
It was 44F here today but the day still started at 34 so the bike stayed home and likely will stay parked for the season now unless I go for a long Saturday or Sunday ride.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
One caution to take in cold weather is your cold tires that will have little traction compared to when they are warm. Don't push you luck on cold tires. Tyres too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Come on you blokes - you're a bit soft!

It was 25° when I left for work at 4.30 this morning.

Sometimes ya gotta love Celsius! :smile

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Come on you blokes - you're a bit soft!

It was 25° when I left for work at 4.30 this morning.

Sometimes ya gotta love Celsius! :smile
Yeah 25 C is 77 F. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts