Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any input, its getting colder now, just wondering if anyone has used a step hotter plug? It was around 30 degrees here this morning, and I plan to ride till snow flies if possible. Right now I am running the NGK CPR6EB-9(I think)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Long story short...

NO

·
Registered
470 Posts
you don't need to go to a hotter plug for cold temp riding.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any input, its getting colder now, just wondering if anyone has used a step hotter plug? It was around 30 degrees here this morning, and I plan to ride till snow flies if possible. Right now I am running the NGK CPR6EB-9(I think)
I wouldn't do that but 10-40w oil might be better than the 20-40w.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
All engines are built and tuned to a specific spark plug in the design (OEM). Don't buy into all the commercials you see, stick with stock plugs.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Without digging up the octane thread again, you can go 87 on your fuel if you want to tweek as it cools. Of course I am running a V92 so may be some difference but no pinging with 89 during the summer in high 80s/low 90s and running 87 now that we been back in the 60s again. Clean plugs, no soot in the pipes and following KevinX advice. Working for me with a noticable power increase as well as loss of the raw gas smell coming into a light or at idle. I am running stock NGK plugs with no issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Without digging up the octane thread again, you can go 87 on your fuel if you want to tweek as it cools. Of course I am running a V92 so may be some difference but no pinging with 89 during the summer in high 80s/low 90s and running 87 now that we been back in the 60s again. Clean plugs, no soot in the pipes and following KevinX advice. Working for me with a noticable power increase as well as loss of the raw gas smell coming into a light or at idle. I am running stock NGK plugs with no issues.

What was Kevinx's advice curious minds want to know?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What was Kevinx's advice curious minds want to know?
His advice was to put 91 octane only when you go riding in Death Valley (or any other desert). Put 89 octane if the ambient temperatures are above 85°F, and put 87 octane when ambient temps do not go over 85°F.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
His advice was to put 91 octane only when you go riding in Death Valley (or any other desert). Put 89 octane if the ambient temperatures are above 85°F, and put 87 octane when ambient temps do not go over 85°F.
Guess I could have spelled that out CR.. lol.. But yes, exactly and my engine is very happy as is it's rider. Just changed out first set of plugs after trying this through the summer and text book burn. :D

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks guys, just checking. On my older bike its suggested in colder temps and or slower driving to run a hotter plug. My bike runs rich anyway, I have been running 87 octane, plugs are sooty, porcelain is dark brown, pipes are black!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
The temp inside is around 1500F, how much diff do you think 10 or 20 degrees of air temp makes in there?
Without using Newton's Law of Cooling, a fair approximation would be 10-20°F difference. thumb up

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The temp inside is around 1500F, how much diff do you think 10 or 20 degrees of air temp makes in there?
I would hope your not serious???? Cooler air, which is now more dense (he said it was 30F) equals more O2 down the intake when the OP is already saying his plugs look a little rich... Think about it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would hope your not serious???? Cooler air, which is now more dense (he said it was 30F) equals more O2 down the intake when the OP is already saying his plugs look a little rich... Think about it:rolleyes:
Completely serious.

IF the air is that cold, it's denser and would cause the mixture to go lean, not rich. Of course with closed loop EFI system, the injected fuel will be altered to compensate.

Think about it.

You can put your eyes back now.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Completely serious.

IF the air is that cold, it's denser and would cause the mixture to go lean, not rich. Of course with closed loop EFI system, the injected fuel will be altered to compensate.

Think about it.

You can put your eyes back now.
My bust lostviking for thinking you were poking at his question of running rich at a lower temp when speaking of the internal temp of 1500 and not at the intake(30). Thought it was another new member jabbin at a guys legit question when he was asking for help.
(You did just post on a thread 2 years old, still leavin the eyes out)
poke poke...

On to your reply though, I guess I didnt finish what I was writing. My point was what I believe your are saying, denser air giving him more O2 for the burn on each stroke as the ambient temps drop and as I understood our Vic engines (so far) with the O2's unplugged, he would not go lean at idle even in the cooler air. If anything, maintain a little richer at idle but when cracking the throttle the increased O2 from the cooler air may actualy resolve some of the issues he is seeing from his last plug inspection. And I would say he is on the right track of new plugs, ride them 1000 and pull for inspection.

So based on your last reply, Im thinking were saying about the same thing. Looking forward to the next!

Safe riddin!

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Run the plug spec'd for your engine. You don't change heat ranges due to a minor intake temp change. The only time you start changing heat ranges is if you have made radical changes to your engine.

I've changed heat ranges by one at times, due to some very big changes in the engine, including going to custom billet heads. In that case I use what the head designer called for.

Your bike sounds way too rich. Figure out why, but don't change the plugs to try and compensate...fix the problem first.

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts