Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was Chapter 3 in my new found conversion to a nudist.

In my experience of going out sans wind protection, I hopped on the highway, decided there was just too much wind blast, came home and reinstalled the shield.

I tried again a few days ago. That time I took back roads and really enjoyed it except even at near 70°F I was very cold. Probably colder than I'd be with the shield down around 50°F.

Today was a new story. Again I took back roads but this time with Mama in tow. It was ~80°F and this time with my mesh jacket, the weather was perfect.

There is really something special about riding like that. I felt like some oxymoronic hybrid of Fast Freddie and Easy Pete. I found some beat up 1.2 lane farm road and pinned the throttle as Bush belted "Everything's Zen" at 10 into my ear buds. And whaddya know, they were right.

Now I feel pretty dumb for spending so much time/money trying to improve their turbulent bubble.

We got up on the highway and ran the typical 80 mph, but today I looked over and found our Republican Governor had increased our highway speeds to 70 mph. Bless his heart.

I could still see long highway drones being a bit much struggle without some relief, but for the day to day summer stuff I say stay naked my friends...

Oh yeah, Mama kinda liked it too.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Boy I was completly headed the wrong direction with that title;)

Now all you need is one of those Tour cool pad like I got and your butt can be pseudo nekkid toothumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but I completely disagree. I've taken my windshield off numerous times, and I don't enjoy it at all. I like the looks, but the comfort is not there.
And that thar's the point.

Using a shield like a drug to numb the sensations of riding actually takes some of the fun out of it. Even if it seems more comfortable...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Using a shield like a drug to numb the sensations of riding actually takes some of the fun out of it. Even if it seems more comfortable...
catsup or mustard with your bugs?
posted by a numb person with a dead air pocket
behind the shield and having no fun at all.
[just joking]

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
My FXR4 is a blast to ride with no shield cruising easy down the backroads looks far better without the shield as well .. But use it far more often than not .. At my age, days of worrying about looking cool over comfort are way overwith .. But now and then still truly love the feel of in the wind ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
You want wind protection? Go buy a convertible.

You wanna experience motorcycle ride? Get rid of all that windshield, fairings, lowers and upper and whatever else you got in between and ride a motorcycle. :D

You want bug protection? Wear a full face helmet. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I too am all about comfort. I bought my CC and enjoy the ride...not get blasted by the wind. Besides, i love my tunes and want to hear them cruising at 75

Also, do to having eyes issues, i cant have the wind blasting my face...hence my tall windshield.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get rid of all that windshield, fairings, lowers and upper and whatever else you got in between and ride a motorcycle. :D
I'm on board, but there is a limit. We aren't all fortunate enough to live in Sunny southern California. When it gets cold, the screen goes back on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Windshields are for pxxxxx's.. That being said, I like the protection. Here in Arkansas the bugs alone will make having a windshield a more desirable situation...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Really...try riding 20 + miles to work in 38 degree weather w/ no protection and then we will talk. I ride till the temps hit 37 degrees..any lower and black ice can form here in New England quickly. Funny how around here the " dire hard " bikers w/no shields dont ride below 40* and the ones with shields ride until its almost snowing...just saying

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Saddle, once again we are in agreement and that worries me. :)
80+ and the w/s comes off for in-town errands and non-Interstate stuff. That's why I chose the XR over the XC. Having had enough discomfort foisted upon me in my lifetime, I no longer volunteer for more, so the w/s is preceding me as we tear up the Interstates and do those longer rides and trips.
Oregon, having had a succession of Democrat Governors, we have had a governor placed on us at 65 mph. Our legislature keeps introducing bills to raise it to 75 (which it used to be before that infamous 55 NMSL) but those Governors have bought into the speed kills lie. As I traverse this country of ours, Its easy to tell which states have liberal politics, cuz they have conservative speeds.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Vision is my first bike with a windshield. Has never been in the high position. Guess the wind on the face is what makes being on a bike appealing

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Yes and our comfort addiction gets thrown to the wayside until we get a true wake up call and say. Yup, that was fun. Now back to reality and jump back on the Vision. Lol

Every time I ride my TC I think "ain't no way I will sell this bike". Responsive, quick, easy handling sounds friggin awesome" then after riding to/fm work a few days I get back on the Vision and. Wow!
Or
You help out on demo days and ride a Hammer, a Vegas, and of course a high and hardball when all of a sudden on the high rise coming back a crosswind about takes your shorty helmet off at your throat. Lmao

You contemplate owning one of those fierce fun open air machines as you enjoy your surround sound, cruise control and wind management system on the way home. Nahhhhhh. Demo will be back next year!thumb upthumb up

I'll stick to comfort, year round IBA ridin SB. Hhehhee

·
Registered
269 Posts
Really...try riding 20 + miles to work in 38 degree weather w/ no protection and then we will talk. I ride till the temps hit 37 degrees..any lower and black ice can form here in New England quickly. Funny how around here the " dire hard " bikers w/no shields dont ride below 40* and the ones with shields ride until its almost snowing...just saying
I can take the cold Left the house at 0600 22* one morning.. Round trip 350 miles.. High for the day was 36. I froze to death had a pair of coveralls on and some deer skin gloves.. That was 1998 but the last time without a shield was the following spring when I had to stop clean my face shield every 20 miles at dusk..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I ride in-town, I'll keep the windshield off. Any long trips or over 60 MPH, it just creates too much wind-noise against the ACDC in the Bluetooth, wind-fatigue, and dehydration.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts